2012 JK Sport 2 Door Overland Build

Picked up this rig last August. The 2 door JK was completely stock minus the 5 16" chrome racing wheels and the 31" tires with them. The build is coming along slowly, but is starting to take form. It's become my daily driver because of how much fun I have driving it!

I'm new to this, so any feedback/thoughts/etc is greatly appreciated. The purpose is overland camping, not so much rock crawling.

Phase 1:
JK DualSport XT Suspension 2.5 w/ Geo correction brackets
AEV Rear Bumper
AEV Tire Carrier
AEV Fuel Caddy
IPF Backup Light
AEV Savege Wheels in Black x5
BF Goodrich 35" MT KM2 x5
AEV Snorkel
OEM Rubicon Rock Rails

Phase 2:
AEV Premium Front Bumper
Warn 9.5cti-s Winch
IPF Driving Lights
Hi-lift Jack
Front Runner SlimLine II Half Rack for 2 Door JK

A before shot I took last fall in the glorious back roads of Utah.

image.jpg1_zpsek0awsqd.jpg

Last edited:
AEV has been out of stock of the Snorkel for a while now so when I saw the opportunity to pick one up from ok4wd, I couldn't help myself. Install went smoothly with no issues what so ever. I'd still like to sand down the inside of the hood to finish it a little nicer. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. As you can see in the first image, it's a little rough from the cut.

image_zpsbksoe4lx.jpg

image_zpsywqkhf6l.jpg

image_zpsbws6gyz1.jpg

image_zpsb2k2gx0d.jpg

image_zps2nlwqvdm.jpg

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Why 35"? What is your gearing? Recommend the front bumper and winch before the rear and lights would be the last on my list.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
The piece of house that AEV provides for the antenna bumper is too short. If you get a 12" length of fuel hose, that's about perfect to dampen the antenna bumps against the snorkel.

BCobe

Adventurer
Why 35"? What is your gearing? Recommend the front bumper and winch before the rear and lights would be the last on my list.

2nd an answer with what your gears are! Also Manual or Auto? Before looking at aftermarket accessory lights have you thought about changing your stock headlights? I did the Truck Lite LED's and my wife and I love them! Glad I went that route before buying a bar.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
2nd an answer with what your gears are! Also Manual or Auto? Before looking at aftermarket accessory lights have you thought about changing your stock headlights? I did the Truck Lite LED's and my wife and I love them! Glad I went that route before buying a bar.

I was also going to say this would be one of the first things I would do, and was one of the first I did to my 2015. I would also suggest looking into sill plates for your doors. On my 2013 the sills were scratched completely just from getting in and out, not making that mistake on my 2015. Was ~$30 for my unlimited in black.

Honestly, I'm going 35" for the stance and look of the vehicle. I understand that it will give me more trail capability as well.

I have no idea what the gearing is on the jeep. I wasn't able to find a concrete answer online anywhere. It's a 2012 sport, automatic transmition.

After reading around online, I see by increasing my tiresize and not adjusting gears I could be affecting the ride/gas mileage/overall performance.

Secondly, main reason I'm doing the rear first is for fuel range. All of my additional fuel will be kept on the rear of the vehicle. I'm not in a rush to tackle difficult trails as much as I am to go the distance on a few longer trips this summer.

Thanks for all the help, all!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Man I really like those wheels with those tires, and that lift. Looks excellent against the black body.
If you aren't high centering I'd keep running them. Actually as sweet as that looks, I'd just pick a different line, or bypass the obstacle.
If you have the 3.21 gears, you *may* not be as happy with the 35" tires.
In my opinion, your Jeep looks sweet just like it is. If I was sitting in your shoes, I'd run the heck out of it while saving up for gears & locker in the back and a Dana 44 up front.
This will give you lots of time to figure out storage & gear stuff, while having a blast. Not sure I could part with those wheels.
I'd touch up the bare metal on the hood where the snorkel is, then use some door edge guard to clean up the cut line.
What a sweet Jeep! :beer:
Sheesh, do I sound like a broken record or what... lol

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Man I really like those wheels with those tires, and that lift. Looks excellent against the black body.
If you aren't high centering I'd keep running them. Actually as sweet as that looks, I'd just pick a different line, or bypass the obstacle.
If you have the 3.21 gears, you *may* not be as happy with the 35" tires.
In my opinion, your Jeep looks sweet just like it is. If I was sitting in your shoes, I'd run the heck out of it while saving up for gears & locker in the back and a Dana 44 up front.
This will give you lots of time to figure out storage & gear stuff, while having a blast. Not sure I could part with those wheels.
I'd touch up the bare metal on the hood where the snorkel is, then use some door edge guard to clean up the cut line.
What a sweet Jeep! :beer:
Sheesh, do I sound like a broken record or what... lol

I'd say it's a 99 % chance he has 3.21s. Increased fuel storage doesn't get one unstuck, which is why I recommend the winch first. One "must have" not on the OP's list that should well in front of lighting is a pair of rock rails. Even the factory Ribicon Rails can save the sides of the Jeep from damage.

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
OP, what size are the tires you're runnung now? They look like 33's, which for your intended application should be more than adequate.

BCobe

Adventurer
I'd say it's a 99 % chance he has 3.21s.

This would be a great assumption.

OP of you want to find out your gear there is a sitw were you type in your VIN and it pulls up everything about your Jeep. Hows the drive with the 35s?

This would be a great assumption.

OP of you want to find out your gear there is a sitw were you type in your VIN and it pulls up everything about your Jeep. Hows the drive with the 35s?

They are currently 31s. Drives great. A lot better after the lift, actually. I want to go to 35 KM2s which I know run small. After researching it, I'm pretty sure I have 3.21

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
I used the heck out of a stock "Sport" model 2-door for a couple of years with minimal mods: a set of aftermarket 16" wheels, and 32" BFG All Terrains. Also put a 10k Engo winch on the front bumper and used it a few times to either clear fallen trees from the trail, or once, to get my JK out of a snow drift I'd slithered into.

Last year I was able to put some more money into it. Ended up with lower gears, 33" Toyo MT tires, a 1.5" Teraflex coil spring lift, and air lockers front & rear. Also tossed a set of small LED driving lights on the front bumper, which have worked out great. The little rig has taken me on a couple of long trips, and is also real fun just for popping around in the local hills.

Enjoy! The two-door is a worthwhile platform.

Regards, CW

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl