2012 Power Wagon Build

crismateski

American Adventurist
I sent it to black dog

This is what I sent him
I did not want to steal the thread, but the differences in the power wagon and non power wagon are:

Winch
sway bar disconnect
different gearing 4.56
front and rear lockers
different springs front and rear
Shocks
1 ton axles in 3/4 ton axle housings
skid plates
Power Wagon is 2" taller
comes with a larger tire stock
the frame is a different part number, but there is debate on if it is actually different. Things like the snorkel will work on a regular hemi ram. The body is the same

there are a few other little things, but those are the major ones

Power Wagon Specs
http://powerwagonregistry.org/pw_tech.php

FirerescuePW

I called those guys but they mentioned they weren't doing any for G4's until some time in the future. I'm impatient and was hoping these would hold up. I'll say they did their job of protecting the "beauty" of the rocker panel but the jury is out on at what cost. Crawlers post above regarding the weight vs the slider may very well turn out to be true. Hopefully the Aluminess guys have seen this before and/or have a fix.

Oh, that's a shame. I hope you come up with a simple fix. Good luck!

stioc

Expedition Leader
Looking nice Chris! I like the topper and good job on the slide out drawer. Not to mention how much easier it'll be to setup/tear down camp with that topper now.

As for the sliders I have to agree with Crawler on both the long wheelbase part and the weight of the truck- when those 7000lbs come down hard any mounting points or joints will feel it. It's a different/lighter truck but my RRO super-sliders bolt to both the pinch weld and the frame, I can use a hi-lift on them to lift the truck but I still keep thinking about welding them to the frame. However, that has its own drawbacks.

Why hasn't anyone copied the Mopar design if it worked well and no longer available?

Let me know when you guys are going to Big Bear...as long as it's nothing super crazy I'm in.

Outback

Explorer
Since you all have been discussing the Rock Sliders for the Power Wagon can someone post a picture of the Mopar version for POWER WAGNER to compare with what he has now?

Outback

Explorer
A quick note about the rear drive shaft on the Power Wagons. The rear drive shafts are made from aluminum. These do NOT hold up well in rocky terrain where your drive shaft might kiss a boulder or carry the weight on a sandy steep ledge. A steel rear drive shaft should be made for the guys who want to go and play in the Rocks with there Power Wagons or any other modern Dodge trucks.

PowerWagner

Explorer
Roof rack installed

Well after getting a fair deal with kellym's wilderness rack I spent a little time on Sunday attaching it to the Thule bars. Seems pretty solid and I can pull enough on either side of the truck hanging off the sides to shake the truck but not pull loose the rack. As far as the look, I'm not a huge fan of how high it stands after sitting on the cross bars but that's the way it goes for now. Next up lights front and back and an awning. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
Looking nice Chris! How about plasti-dipping those rad chrome mud-flaps as your next project? :D

PowerWagner

Explorer
Here's my take on the sliders:

They are custom made and are pretty beefy. I went down to the Aluminess shop in Santee, CA and took a look at what they are doing there. I'm no expert but I'd say the guys there are legit at turning out quality product.

Now the bad news - the left slider took a small bump and drag a week after install. If interested, check the video link which will show what I would call "minor severity". After taking that hit, the slider is loose and is now oscillating up and down when driving over bumps on the road. I've tightened it up but that did not solve the issue. It is possible that it may have been slightly bent at the point of connection to the undercarage. I'll say this, there would have been significant body damage had the sliders not been on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QG40P4zGJ8

And to be fair - I have called the guys at Aluminess and they have been interested in the resolution. I'll post feeback of the customer service as it progresses.
ock.

Update to the Aluminess Slider's for the Power Wagon's - Took it back to the guys in Santee and they designed a modifiction to keep the sliders from coming loose after a taking a hit. Here are some pics of that mod.Rail Mod I.JPGRail Mod III.JPGRail Mod IV.JPG.

Took the Wagon to MOAB this past week with some great guys over on the Power Wagon Forum and put the sliders to work. Here's a link to video where you can see them getting a pretty good drubbing. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDXLxRKDSQx0bwB4GMz3beg/videos?view=0&flow=grid

In my opinion, they held up very well. Not loose after taking many hits. Here's a couple of pictures of the rash they came home with. They did their job and get my recomendation.Slider Rash I.JPGSlider Rash II.JPG

rwright07

Life is a highway
Love the truck. I am in the process of outfitting my 4x4 06 Cummins QCSB auto into a diesel PW wanna be.

As for the commentary about rock sliders for these heavy SOBs, i came across this thread and built a set of my own
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/0...502-rock-sliders-these-heavy-trucks-made.html

2x6 .25" wall rectangle for the slider, with 1.75" .25" wall DOM for the strut, with 3/8" plate gussets and strut terminations at the frame. The last post in the thread has photos of the finished product.

I used them pretty heavily getting through the Dickey Bell trail in Uwharrie NC with 31.5s and stock height suspension and they work great. I can use them as a jacking point to lift the entire side of the truck and they deflect less than 1/16". Cost about $300 in steel to fabricate.

Im loving the 9.25 AAM front factory Elocker since I installed it, next I am working out a sway bar disconnect... I dont think i can justify dropping the coin to get a stock PW Edisconnect unit.

r52BByR.jpg
1lbWXbM.jpg

nrooney21

Hey Chris,
Aluminess is sending me the same fix. Hope it works as good as yours. If not, I'll be cutting off the mind and building frame mounts. Anyway, glad you made it home. It was great meeting you two. And thanks for the videos.
Nate

Sent from my typewriter via carrier pigeon

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
Sorry to kinda hijack BUT... I have the Aluminess sliders as well, how much does the fix setup run? Mine have taken a bit of a beating out at Uwharrie! They seem to be holding up well but, I can see where the pinch weld is getting damaged a bit by virtue of them being mounted to it. Looking at you pics, it seems like the fix may help limit that damage since it effectively triangulates their mounting points rather than having them all be in one line as they are standard. Thanks for posting up the pics and info!

By the way, nice build you've got going!!! :beer:

PowerWagner

Explorer
Sorry to kinda hijack BUT... I have the Aluminess sliders as well, how much does the fix setup run? Mine have taken a bit of a beating out at Uwharrie! They seem to be holding up well but, I can see where the pinch weld is getting damaged a bit by virtue of them being mounted to it. Looking at you pics, it seems like the fix may help limit that damage since it effectively triangulates their mounting points rather than having them all be in one line as they are standard. Thanks for posting up the pics and info!

By the way, nice build you've got going!!! :beer:

I didn't pay for the fix. The guys at Aluminess were interested in finding a resolution so they asked me to bring the truck down and they fabbed it up on the spot. nrooney21 in the post above your's probably had them mailed up to him. You might PM him and see if he paid or they just sent him the parts. The Aluminess guys seem to be more than fair so I'm thinking they didn't charge and wouldn't charge you. The parts where just a couple of pressed angled aluminum and bolts of the size that came with the mounting hardware. There was significant drilling required to go through the mounting plates.
Thanks for the build comments. I've been lazy and haven't posted my most current additions; additional battery, inverter, lights, gear mounts to the rack. Maybe this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven