2012 Taco known as "Wiggles"

lostinbsd

So, I have been a long time lurker, and finally decided to start a build thread for my current project.

It started when I wanted something a bit more comfortable for road trips, had a bit more space, and could be a bit faster than my 87 pickup (faster did not take much). This is the only picture I have on this computer, but it was a good truck with far more mods than I care to admit to.

IMG_20150418_125730_zps1sango4k.jpg

So moving on, I did have a 2011 Tacoma double cab TRD Sport a couple of vehicles ago and I did like that one, so some looking later and I found a 2012 Tacoma TRD off road access cab with about 45,000KM (28,000M) on it. I went for the off road because I wanted a locker, and the initial plan at least is to stay away from doing the gears for awhile. Still even had the factory tires on it, forgot how horrible those are...

Unfortunately I do not have any pictures from when I first got it, that phone died on me.

So I have a wedding to go to on Vancouver island, I have never been before so I figure may as well make a vacation of it. So instead of taking the money that would have been accommodations, I get a roof tent and get a rack for it built. And so begins the slippery slope.

I went to a local machine shop that has done a lot of work for me on my last projects and we came up with something that bolted to the factory bed mounts, and would be strong enough to hold the truck up if I do something less than intelligent. The decision to put it to the bed mounts was made because I wanted the weight to be carried directly on the frame. This had a nice side effect of basically being a roll cage for the back so it stiffened it up ALOT. It is surprising how much better it handles now because of this. I manged to get a few pictures of the build.

Before the pictures, I will shamelessly plug the shop, Evolution Machine and Fabrication: http://www.emfrodends.com/. They build crazy heim, ball and steering joints, fully rebuildable and serviceable. I can not recommend them enough if you are looking to do anything with links, or steering. I will be going back to get new upper and lower arms built with his joints. But on with the pictures.

Main hoop to start the shape of it
IMG_20150808_124841_zpswchsdqnd.jpg

I really liked the fastback look that CBI did for a cage, so I borrowed that design (makes it really nice for getting things out of the truck)
IMG_20150808_155319_zpsusmuybdv.jpg

And just to make sure it did not fall over it got a bit of gusseting
IMG_20150809_152347_zpssnim0pgg.jpg

Finish welded, ready for paint
IMG_20150810_142956_zpszrhgenmi.jpg

IMG_20150810_143006_zps7yhgidlz.jpg

And some paint and mounted
IMG_20150810_155101_zpsu4mkxkoi.jpg

IMG_20150810_184418_zpsgvtguua2.jpg

And add the tent (Echo 4x4 1.3m model)
IMG_20150810_195615_zps6gtnyygu.jpg

If you look closely you can see the Tred sand ladders mounted under the passenger side, there is a shovel mounted with quckfist mounts on the driver side)

And out of on the coast finally, this was at Port Renfrew, very much recommend if you are ever in the area.
IMG_20150815_174904_zpsfxn7xa50.jpg

The truck actually got its name on the trip out. I was not really paying attention and was on the highway just before Canmore AB and right at the Eckshaw plant on the lake the wind kicked up from the back. The tent mounted the way it is, is not far off carrying a sheet of plywood in the wind over your head. Needless to say the back end had a bit of a wiggle to it, not unlike a cat before it pounces. Hence the truck will forever be known as the trusty steed "Wiggles"

So, obviously with some seat time, and a couple of easy wheeling trips later, well the inevitable happens. So much for just a tent and leave it alone.

First things as always is new tires. Just running stock 265s, general grabber AT2. This is my 3rd set and I love how they handle in the dirt. They are not as good as the duratracs in the winter, but I prefer the lateral hold they have for my hoonigan moments out the in back country. Its no trophy truck but its fun :D

And now the suspension. I wanted something that would have good road manners, and allow me to have a bit of fun. I have run 5100s on my 2011 tacoma, it was good but I was looking for something that would be a bit better at controlling the moment with a bumper and a winch hanging off of the front. So enter the 6112s. They are big, should deal with the heat well, and a bit stiffer spring too. I have not see many comparison shots, so here they are with the 5125s that are for the back. And a banana for scale.

IMG_20151212_121711_zpsv72dqhns.jpg

For the back I am going a spring under set up. I have trail gear 5" lift springs and 12" 5125 shocks. The plan is to do a shackle flip and a long shackle, it should be soft, and lower the roll center a bit. I am not worried about hanging up on the springs, they are a wear part as far as I am concerned. That and it keeps me honest.

For armor, I am really not sure what I am going to do about the front and rear bumpers. I have some tube left from the tent mount, but sliders are still required as well. I have a warn zenon 8000 that needs to find a home in the front, so I am really not sure what to do there. I really like the total chaos build that did a skid while keeping the lower bumper and factory fogs (http://www.chaosfab.com/Total-Chaos-Brown-Derby-Toyota-Tacoma-4WD), but I find it is hard to make tube bumpers look right on a tacoma. Well without a long arm, fiberglass and 35" tire setup.

I am on the fence about swapping the seat, I have a mastercraft sportsman seat that I really like, but I am not sure I want to swap out the factory one. Time will tell but I have run a couple of suspension seats and really like them. Just do not want to screw around with the airbag stuff. This is the pile of parts so far.

IMG_20151212_122722_zpskftl5lkt.jpg

IMG_20151212_122819_zpsneqsrcwx.jpg

Plan is to get started on this after the holidays, I am stuck on call till the middle of January. I will be updating this as I make some progress, hopefully it will be done for another road trip this year.

lostinbsd

It's a banana shifter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With enough epoxy, and or other fun chemicals anything is possible. Just not sure about the ergonomics of it :xxrotflma

The batteries I got at cost, so it was not a bad deal, I am not running anything off them (no fridge or inverter). I just like to run dual batteries so the winch does not drop the voltage so much.

Hopefully the strut tops come in from rock auto soon, will at least be able to put the front struts together. Damn having to have patience, walking by a pile of parts is just a tease.

lostinbsd

Finally got some pictures of the exhaust, had it done early jan but just got it on a hoist this weekend to put the front shocks/coils in. It has been moved to go behind the tcase instead of under, and the whole thing is tucked up above the frame and dumps just after the axle above the frame. The muffler is a bit louder than stock, but you cant actually hear it over the wind noise on the highway (use to have a flowmaster 40 series, did not want to deal with drone again)

IMG_20160130_093038_zpsnqgnjpzo.jpg

IMG_20160130_093049_zpsmrkacps4.jpg

you can see the end of the heat shield in this picture, it goes around the bend so the actuator for 4X does not get cooked
IMG_20160130_093027_zpsvdcwzgn1.jpg

lost of room for suspension work, and never going to get hit (well save but for something that might make for a really good story)
IMG_20160130_093129_zpsk0pq1xle.jpg

lostinbsd

And the front suspension finally, have had these sitting in my living room for far too long. I rented a hoist, sooo much better than a cold driveway. Even had a clean truck to work on, I was very spoiled.

IMG_20160130_093203_zps5h5shrba.jpg

Its funny how much bigger than stock they are
IMG_20160130_111043_zpsrz56d7f7.jpg

I have done enough suspensions to know that if the cam bolt is not rusted in make sure it stays that way (anti-seize is my friend)
IMG_20160130_111338_zpsojxgb5h0.jpg

New shiny in
IMG_20160130_115615_zps0eftk4px.jpg

New stance set on the middle grove (1.5" lift according to the instructions), don't mind the trailer wiring, still have to fix that >.>
IMG_20160130_133611_zpsbkpi1kaj.jpg

The ride is really good, def a bit firmer but I was looking for something that can deal with the weight of a winch. It can hang pretty good in the corners now, almost enough to be trouble. I am going to go do for a good drive this weekend, just got the alignment done this morning. Think it needs some bronze TRD wheels now...

lostinbsd

So after a week of having the front shocks and springs on, its def time to tune them a bit. When I put them on, I set both to the same clip (middle setting) but the passenger side is def a bit up. With me in it, def is noticeable, but I am going to do what toyota did and just drop it one on the passenger side so hopefully this gets the balance a bit better. I am going to do this before I change the springs. It is butter on gravel roads, actually so much so I have to pay attention to my speed. At 75MP/h (140KM/h) it is very plush and controlled, well other than the fact that I had no weight in the back and it got a bit floaty. On the highways it is very controlled and not too harsh. The only place that makes me want to change the springs is around the city. The slow speed square edge bumps (pot holes, frost heaves, etc) it is really rough. Running P Metric tires only takes a bit of the edge off. But, I do not have any extra weight on the front at this time.

So cliff notes on the front suspension. Sporty, very fun for back roads, however do not get if you do not like a firm ride around town unless you are going to put a bumper/winch on the front. Ride is very similar to my 2013 STi (firm spring but very well damped)

Also I am up in Canada, hence all the ****ty roads, winter is not very nice to them

lostinbsd

Not many mods this weekend, was busy helping getting this thing going:

IMG_20160206_094459_zpswunxtr9k.jpg

17,000 Miles, saw service in Vietnam, came back and was part of the Colorado Forestry service. Basically sat for 40 years, clean the fuel system, a bit of a rebuild on the carb (float was stuck closed) and the thing fires better than my 2012 taco. its a tank. It does need a tune up, a lot of dried weeping seals. Does not even burn oil, its very cool. Love the while of strait cut gears, I really wanted to take this one home but came off the market after we got it running. At least I still get to play with it though.

But did manage to get a pop and lock tailgate lock handle installed. the one thing have seen some mention of was the one rod rubbing after its flipped, it makes it feel very sticky as it binds a bit on the metal plate the rods connect to. I had this problem, also explains why my 2011 I had before never did open right (came with one when I got it). But bend the rod a bit, and drill a hole to move the guide and it opens like its new, also no rod flopping around either:

The bend I put in the rod is on the end to the handle

IMG_20160206_184643_zpsevakkhmz.jpg

The hole in the top right is where the plastic guide was, I just drilled a new hole and moved it to the top of the tale gate (the left of the picture)

IMG_20160206_184650_zpszhqivv9i.jpg

lostinbsd

Finally have "secure" storage in the bed now, tonneau cover showed up today. Extang solid fold 2.0, its pretty nice, not to heavy, very solid and just 4 brackets to install. Even came with the allen key to do it. Just 2 wing nuts and the whole thing comes off the truck.

IMG_20160209_145100_zpsdxvrib1a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77