2012 trade in value? Help.

just eric

Adventurer
I'm thinking about trading in my 2012 Rubi Unlimited. It just isn't working for us now that we have a baby and all her stuff. Problem is, there aren't any numbers on kbb or nada for a trade in value. Short of going to the dealership (over an hour away) does anyone have any idea on TIV?

2012 Rubi 4-dr with hard top
6000 miles
Auto
40 gig hard drive thingy

JFarris

Wanderer
Honestly your best bet is to take it to the closest Carmax dealer. I've had very good experiences with selling them vehicles.
My guess on a trade in at a normal dealer is going to be around $25K-$28K.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
For my zip code (20876), nadaguide shows
2012 Jeep Utility 4D Unlimited Rubicon 4WD Price
Price
Rough Trade-In Average Trade-In Clean Trade-In Clean Retail
Base Price $30,550 $32,100 $33,350 $37,000
Mileage: 6,000 $625 $625 $625 $625
Options: (add options)

Infinity Stereo System Std. Std. Std. Std.
Aluminum/Alloy Wheels Std. Std. Std. Std.
Hard Top N/A N/A N/A N/A

TOTAL PRICE $31,175 $32,725 $33,975 $37,625*

just eric

Adventurer
For my zip code (20876), nadaguide shows
2012 Jeep Utility 4D Unlimited Rubicon 4WD Price
Price
Rough Trade-In Average Trade-In Clean Trade-In Clean Retail
Base Price $30,550 $32,100 $33,350 $37,000
Mileage: 6,000 $625 $625 $625 $625
Options: (add options)

Infinity Stereo System Std. Std. Std. Std.
Aluminum/Alloy Wheels Std. Std. Std. Std.
Hard Top N/A N/A N/A N/A

TOTAL PRICE $31,175 $32,725 $33,975 $37,625*

Hey thanks for the info. I guess NADA must have updated or I really missed something. Just checked NADA and they list my rig as the follows. I couldn't ask for a better start but I highly doubt any dealership around here would get there...

Rough Trade $32,825
Average Trade $34,375
Clean Trade $35,625

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
i rock 3 kids in a 4 door cherokee, which is dimensionally smaller than a JK, and probably a fair bit noisier/bumpier.

What, may I ask, is NOT working about your jeep with the new little one? (congrats by the way! :) )

just eric

Adventurer
I have a few concerns. First, the back seat is awful. The angle and depth make it less than ideal for comfort and the fact that the child seat barely fits back there (and only in the middle seat) is a problem as well. With the car seat in the middle there is basically no room for anyone else. Both me and my wife have crammed into the back with the child seat for short trips and it's just not doable for anything longer than a trip around town. I have been contemplating the rear seat mod but that only fixes the angle and not the depth issue. It also frustrates me that Jeep didn't take the time to check the ergonomics of the rear seat (or even providing support under the middle seat) before slapping the $40k price tag on it and sending her to market. I guess that I should take some of that blame for not checking myself prior to signing on the line but these Jeeps are expensive and as a result should have the basics figured out.

Then there is the little sticker above the driver's sun visor that states something to the effect of "the doors and roof of this vehicle are only designed to protect the occupants from weather and not from a collision." Again, my fault that I bought something without enough research but I'd ***-u-med that at least the doors would have been solid enough to provide some crash protection. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Jeep, but for me, not my wife and baby girl. I don't know if I'm getting old or just soft but I'm actually starting to care about stuff like that.

Petro

Adventurer
I have a 6 and 9 year old and had my JK Rubi for 4 years now, so my youngest was only 2 at the time. haven't had any complaints from the kids on comfort of the back seats when we've gone on long trips. One thing I did do, when you face the childseat forward (if you still have the jeep then) I tied down the rear headrest using the babyseat anchor. It serves no purpose when they're in the carseat and allowed the seat to fit much better/flusher. As for the roof and doors not offering protection, I've seen may pics of JK's in accidents and all seem to have done very well, I have no worries about my kids back there. If you want added side protection, that's always an excuse to get some nice solid rock sliders!!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The enormous size of car seats these days make anything short of a mini-van feel too small. It would be cheaper to shop around for a smaller car seat, perhaps from Europe, or used...

Ironwagon

Thank a lawyer for the door and roof sticker. Neither of which are any weaker than any other vehicle on the market, except they are removable.
If the three of you can't fit into a (rather large) 4 door Wrangler, what will you buy?
Trust me, I understand - I have four kids. The comment about car seat size is right on the money. We have car seats that barely fit in our Suburban! There are going to be issues with nearly every vehicle out there unless you trim back the items you 'need' to bring. Goodluck.

haven

Expedition Leader
Looking at cars.com and autotrader.com, the cheapest 2012 Rubicon I could find costs about $33k. Most were priced around $36k. A dealer will offer a couple of thousand less than these numbers because they need to make money on the resale.

What replacement vehicles are you considering?

I've went through the vehicle shuffle with the Kids. Sitting in the back was big with our oldest, but not so much with our youngest. You can really only comfort them so much in a car seat. If your looking for a vehicle that fits any car seat with room to spare just look at the F250 or up Crew Cabs. My suggestion would be to get a small car seat to get them into a front facing one once legal. Ours got put into the front facing seat at 1 and it was a lot nicer ride for them after that. The seat won't be something they'll complain about, and you'll have the itch for another Jeep soon enough. Of course you could do like I did and get a Land Rover, IMHO it's the best platform for a family. Good Luck to you but just remember if you keep the Jeep you'll save a lot of money in the end.

just eric

Adventurer
...What replacement vehicles are you considering?

Been looking at a new 4Runner. I just sat in one again today and the back seat is definitely bigger and more comfortable. It's just a more finished product. Little things like the fact that once you open the tailgate you can stand there (and change diapers...) without getting wet, something you can't do with the Jeep. The Jeep is still a NICE rig and the 2012s have come a long way in the comfort and "extras" department. We''ll see what the number say and go from there. I like the Jeep enough to not make the switch if it doesn't make sense financially...

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
bought a 4 door so i had room for my kid, i stepped down from a F150 Supercrew lol

there are a couple tricks to getting the carseats to fit well on either side. this is my daughters EvenFlo - she loves going on rides in the jeep

copying thsi from my thread on JeepForum

spyder6; said:
, while i was gone these past 6 months with the Air Force my daughter transitioned from a rear facing carseat to a front facing. my wife put it in around february and she attempted to put it in on either the left or right side and couldn't get the angle correct as well there wasn't enough foot room for Maddie's legs and feet.

so today i had to remove her carseat and fold the seats down to get a 55" TV in for a friend and when i got home i put the car seat back in. i thought id put it on of the sides to see what was the issue and i discovered that its from the headrest. the top of the carseat hits the headrest and keeps the lower part of the back from seating against the setback by over 3". the issue though is that the headrest isn't removable, so i got clever and folded the seat down, and belt the headrest back out of the locked position and installed the seat. it fit perfect.

i didn't think this was a common issue, but I've seen a couple people with carseats in the center and it had me thinking that others are coming up with similar situations. so i thought i'd throw my 2 cents and a few pictures up for those of us with tykes.

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

rho

Lost again
bought a 4 door so i had room for my kid, i stepped down from a F150 Supercrew lol

there are a couple tricks to getting the carseats to fit well on either side. this is my daughters EvenFlo - she loves going on rides in the jeep

copying this from my thread on JeepForum

Yep.
That.

My 14month old is in a front facing and getting the headrests out of the way was the biggest contributor to getting the carseat to fit on the passenger side well. (that and about half of the week the smaller side of the rear seat is folded forward with a mtb shoved in there....)

I really really really wish those headrests were able to be folded down with out messing around with the seat or able to be removed with out taking the whole rear seat apart. I don't want to take a hacksaw to them, but I've been tempted more than a couple times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal