2014 Tacoma flatbed build

jgallo1

Adventurer
I just purchased a 2014 AC 4x4. I have owned a few Toyota pickups but never a 2nd gen. I am pretty excited.

This is going to be a fun build.

I am picking it up this weekend and I started ordering parts ASAP.

Here is the build:

First, it is getting a UTE LTD flatbed, should be here by Friday.

Next OME suspension (questions to follow.)
I will be running an ARB bumper and a winch. I am going to go with 2886 coils upfront.
The rear will be about 60/40 mix of unloaded to loaded. I am not sure if I should go with the medium-duty leafs or Heavy duty leafs. I think a stock Tacoma bed is about 350lbs. UTE LTD. says the flatbed is 250lbs. I was thinking the mediums might be sufficient. I do not want to ride around with the rear 2" higher when unloaded. Trying to maintain a close to factory rake. Looking for input here.

I also went ahead and ordered new bushings and UCA's and bump stops.

I will be running 255/85/16. I love this size on the Tacoma

The truck will see a good amount of HWY going from A to B. Then it will spend alot of time offroad, logging roads, MTS, snow, mud, etc. It will not be used to rock crawl or jump sand dunes.

Thanks

Last edited:

4000lbsOfGoat

Congrats on the new rig!

I'm curious as to why you chose the flatbed route and would love to know what you think of it once it's installed and you've got some miles on it. I'm thinking about one for my Taco but I'd like some feedback from those who have done it.

I'm not familiar with OME springs but I run Icon RXTs in the heaviest configuration and the rear sits an inch or two proud unloaded and about level loaded. If you're looking at big weight differences between empty and full load I'd highly recommend adjustable shocks. I run mine on "full soft" when unloaded and "full hard" when loaded out for a trip. Makes all the difference in the world.

A quick search didn't turn up the actual weight profile for those 2886 coils (all I could find is that they are "heavy") but I'd also recommend a 700lb spring up front if you're planning to run a bumper and winch.

Best of luck on your new build!

jgallo1

Adventurer
Congrats on the new rig!

I'm curious as to why you chose the flatbed route and would love to know what you think of it once it's installed and you've got some miles on it. I'm thinking about one for my Taco but I'd like some feedback from those who have done it.

I'm not familiar with OME springs but I run Icon RXTs in the heaviest configuration and the rear sits an inch or two proud unloaded and about level loaded. If you're looking at big weight differences between empty and full load I'd highly recommend adjustable shocks. I run mine on "full soft" when unloaded and "full hard" when loaded out for a trip. Makes all the difference in the world.

A quick search didn't turn up the actual weight profile for those 2886 coils (all I could find is that they are "heavy") but I'd also recommend a 700lb spring up front if you're planning to run a bumper and winch.

Best of luck on your new build!

I will keep you updated. I choose a flatbed b/c we put a FWC on my f250 and now I am constantly pulling around 12x8 trailer to haul . I decided to flatbed so I could eliminate the trailer and driving the F250 and the FWC on a daily basis.

I know the 2886 are all good upfront. I was more interested in the rear leafs. It's either the ELO96R (600lbs constant ) or the ELO95R ( 200-300lbs over).
Also, the flatbed is 100lbs lighter.

OME 2886 - coils designed for 110 to 220lbs additional FRONT load

Thanks,
I am trying to figure out the rear leafs.
It's either the ELO96R (600lbs constant ) or the ELO95R ( 200-300lbs over).
Also, the flatbed is 100lbs lighter.

I jsut want to be driving around like a stinkbug when unloaded ha ha

jgallo1

Adventurer
maybe I should specify what I am looking for.
I am looking for around 2" lift up front with an ARB bumper & winch. Then around 2.5 in the rear, trying to maintain somewhat close to factory rake.
Front Coil options are 886 660lbs at 402mm or 887 590 at 400mm
Rear leafs are ELO96R (600lbs constant ) or the ELO95R ( 200-300lbs over).

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
I have the discontinued CS047R on my rears. I also have a Leer shell (300lbs?)that never comes off I think you'd be fine with the 95's. You could run them and add the D29XL leaf if you need a little more capacity & lift(15mm). I think the 96's might be too harsh running with an empty tray or light loads.

tacollie

Glamper
maybe I should specify what I am looking for.
I am looking for around 2" lift up front with an ARB bumper & winch. Then around 2.5 in the rear, trying to maintain somewhat close to factory rake.
Front Coil options are 886 660lbs at 402mm or 887 590 at 400mm
Rear leafs are ELO96R (600lbs constant ) or the ELO95R ( 200-300lbs over).
The ElO95R will probably be fine. We ran then on our last Tacoma with a Flippac. A friend has the truck now and even after 5 years they still hold the weight well. If it's too soft you can always buy their AAL down the road.

Its funny because like you or F250 is useless fork truck stuff due to the FWC. I can't decide what to buy for my "practical" truck?

jgallo1

Adventurer
It is funny how the F250 has turned into just a campsite on wheels. As much as I love my full size. Driving a Tacoma day to day is really nice. I can park anywhere!

beef tits

If you’re not crawling I’d go with lighter leafs and airbags. Just installed firestone ride right’s and wish I had done it a long time ago.

I’ve had heavy sprung leafs on other trucks and it’s an atrocious ride when unloaded, especially on concrete sections of highway. Get goog dental insurance if you go that route.

lugueto

Adventurer
Ha ha , Yeah thats my 87, its cherry. I was going to build it. I just can't bring myself to do it. It is so mint

Well by the looks of it you're doing right by her keeping her stock!

But I agree, you need to show her off.

smokeysevin

Re-redoing things the third time
Bags are one of the best things I did for my truck, unloaded the back end is soft and comfortable like a caddy when the bags are deflated. Add some weight and toss some air in the bags and it still rides really well but isn't banging bumpstops.

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl