2015 Xterra Pro 4X opinion, input etc appreciated

oc357

Good Morning,

I was looking at the Jeep Wrangler before I came upon this site and noticed the Xterra. Upon looking up the price on a Pro 4X it seems I can almost get one out the door loaded for less than a base Wrangler (almost), to include extras like the rood rack and included storage box.

I am in the market for a new vehicle, the requirements are:
1) under 6'4" tall (parking garage restrictions)
2) able to move two adults and a toddler comfortably
3) able to go off road, farm road, fire trails, some easy trails etc
4) ability to tow at least 3500 lbs
5) some aftermarket support

My question is, for those who have one how is it to live with on a daily basis? How do you like yours?

Thank you for your input and for reading my question(s).

lizardking

It does all those things you have listed just fine. Only one that might be questionable is #5. Don't expect Jeep level aftermarket and you should be satisfied with the available aftermarket. For a short time I had 2 toddlers and a teenager back there. Now we mostly use the minivan for family stuff but they still fit in the back of the X.

I absolutely love mine. Weekend warrior and great DD. Everyone bitches about the MPG but I honestly don't think it is that bad compared to the comparable vehicles out there. It is neck and neck with the wife's 2012 minivan.

i-QGGgPsX-X3.jpg

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I've been using mine as a daily driver for a couple years now, I usually do at least 70 miles a day commute. I absolutely love it. With all the crazy winter weather last week in the south I depended on it heavily.

1) under 6'4" tall (parking garage restrictions)

Just barely, according to factory spec an Xterra is 6'3" tall.

2) able to move two adults and a toddler comfortably

2 adults yes. Rear access is awkward due to the narrow opening at the bottom of the door. But it's definitely better for a toddler / child in the rear than an adult, although once your in, it's roomy, getting in and out is the awkward part.

3) able to go off road, farm road, fire trails, some easy trails etc

Very capable off road. Definitely capable of more than you describe even in stock form.

4) ability to tow at least 3500 lbs

Tow rating is 5000lbs. I tow a camper in the neighborhood of 3000lbs quite comfortably.

5) some aftermarket support

Some is about all you'll find. It exists but parts will be more expensive than say they would for a Jeep which has loads of aftermarket parts available.

tarditi

Explorer
They are great trucks. I have a 2006 and it's served me well. I was ready to pull the trigger on a 2015 Pro-4x, but something held me back. I've decided on a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon for a number of reasons, but none of them included "value for the money" :)

You will find a very active enthusiast community, but as mentioned, the aftermarket support is much less than that for wranglers, tacomas, 4-runners, etc.

This just came out today, though, so you might get a screaming deal on a 2015 Pro-4x... http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/nissan-xterra-discontinued-in-u-s.html

coastalcop

had a 2012 x and a now have a 2014 pro-4x. Love the xterra again, FAR more than the wrangler (just my .02). Also more than the Custom FJ Cruiser I sported (07 supercharged one of 10 built my TLC in California) . More visibility than the FJ (though the FJ could go more places in its aftermarket form). MPG was much better than the FJ (sub 10 mpg at 85 mph) I get 17-18 in the X at 85. Will go anywhere I need it to and is a great driver (did 1200+ miles a day last week in Colorado and was never uncomfortable)

gophere

Adventurer
I bought a '14 in july. Was set on a White 4 door Rubicon but after the test drive it just didnt feel perfect. This being my first new truck purchase, perfect is what I wanted.
I walked next door, test drove and paid cash for the pro4x Xterra without blinking an eye.
I now have 15k miles on it and am loving the it and the extra cash to play with.
Yes the jeep has the swaybar discos, a front locker, and can go topless. Just had to tell myself I didnt need it all.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
If you can get the Pro4x for roughly the same price as a JKU Sport, I say fire away. Around me the Pro4x goes for roughly the price of a middle of the line Sahara.

fcs-04

ive had my 14 pro4x since November, this is my first X and so far I love it. The rear is roomy but like what was said before the narrow opening is a bit awkward. The somewhat small aftermarket is my only gripe, that said there is still a good amount of support out there for us. My truck with the locker mod and 33 mud terrains is more capable than 75% of the wranglers I roll with.

IceCap4runnerORP

Adventurer
I had an '05 Xterra Off Road edition, drove it for a few years and enjoyed it but was being seduced by Jeep Rubicon marketing. Bought and drove a JKU Rubicon for a few years and hated the ride so bad I deserted the 4x4 category altogether (for a while). But truth be told I missed the Xterra ride/value/capabilities so I went and bought a 2015 Xterra Pro- 4X. It just hits the sweet spot for me... good luck in your search for your vehicle sweet spot :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh