2016-2017 F150 4x4 EcoBoost - Real world experiences??

zuren

Adventurer
We are getting closer to switching up the vehicle fleet, and I'm narrowing down my choices. My car (VW Passat AWD) is mostly a duplicate of my wife's existing car (Honda CR-V), and the van is developing more issues than I can stay ahead of (rust, paint problems, interior layout not ideal now that we have children). All 3 vehicles were pre-marriage and pre-children, and all 3 are mid-2000s so they are getting up there in mileage and years...with the associated problems. The thought is to replace the VW and van with a crew cab truck sooner than later, and eventually replace the CR-V with a Subaru Ascent.

I am hoping to hear from owners, or past owners, of the Ford F150 with the EcoBoost engine. I'm leaning toward the F150 as it checks many boxes for me:

• 6 forward facing seats (assuming front bench seat)
  • Separate cargo and passenger areas - tired of hearing my wife complain about everything that is supposedly going to be flying around the passenger compartment in my van during an accident
  • Gets the best MPGs (on paper) of any full-size truck I'm considering (assuming proper engine/tranny pairing)
  • Good safety rating vs. other trucks
  • Engine Start/Stop feature - some people complain about this, I think I'm willing to compromise to get better MPG and pollute less
My ideal configuration would be:

• EcoBoost V6 (best MPG that I can find in a truck)
  • 10 speed tranny (helps MPG statement above)
  • XLT or Lariat package
  • Bench front seat (we have a times of needed to seat 6 people)
  • 6.5' bed
I'm also considering the 2016 model, but the 10 speed tranny was not offered.

A 1/2 ton truck is the compromise with my wife. She really wants me to get a midsize truck (easier for her to drive), I really want a 3/4 ton truck (enables the use of a lightweight slide-in camper, manual tranny is possible). I think the happy medium is a 1/2 ton with the 6.5' bed to enable a topper like an AT Summit (link) or an OVRLND. A model year of 2016-2017 gets the prices down to something reasonable for me (~$25,000).

So if anyone has anything good/bad/otherwise to say about their F150, I'd be interested in listening! For the record, the other truck I'm considering is the 2017 RAM 1500 - better interior, worse MPG, worse safety rating, better appearance (IMO), lots of aftermarket support.

I see that Ford is developing a hybrid and EV F150. That could be interesting but I'm not an early adopter, nor can I afford a brand new $60,000 truck (I'm assuming they won't be cheap).

Thanks!

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Just stick to the xl or xlt's and you're good to go. Transmission is a non issue.

I'd go new to avoid someone elses problem child. Or I'd consider a simpler 5.0. There's a thread here of exactly that.

Mid size trucls are hardly easier to drive. Easier than a 3/4 ton maybe. Might have park at the back of a parking lot, tell the wife she needs the exercise anyways!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
FWIW - I just rented a Ford Expedition Max with the V6 Ecoboost and I am totally impressed. It has tons of power even for that big SUV and we got almost 20mpg combined. The 10 speed transmission is very nice. I will be looking at the F150 in the future too. I have driven the RAM (Hemi) many times (my father has one) and I also agree with you - look better, interior is nicer, but worse MPG.

zuren

Adventurer
Just stick to the xl or xlt's and you're good to go. Transmission is a non issue.

I'd go new to avoid someone elses problem child. Or I'd consider a simpler 5.0. There's a thread here of exactly that.

Mid size trucls are hardly easier to drive. Easier than a 3/4 ton maybe. Might have park at the back of a parking lot, tell the wife she needs the exercise anyways!

I would go with a certified used truck from a dealer with some level of warranty. I agree with you - I don't want a problem. But even new vehicles have there issues these days.

I read an article that claimed the "Lariat" package represented the best overall "value", but it failed to elaborate on that. Our friends have a new EcoBoost XLT; I would call the interior good enough, about as good as my van, but definitely doesn't compare to the RAM. The RAM is like my VW, maybe nicer, and people have always commented on my Passat.

Thanks!

zuren

Adventurer
I forgot to ask - were there different gearing options for the diffs. in these trucks? I'm still searching for an answer and what those options were.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Do 150 have adaptive steering? Avoid that. Avoid the moon roof.

Suspension work, or lift kits, on the Superduty require disconnecting the battery. Otherwise the adaptive steering goes nuts and flings the whole steering column out the window. Problem is that modern techs don't disco batteries anymore. And most of us will jumper in a little battery or charger so new cars won't lose memory during battery replacement. If they do it's a disaster resetting all the window modules, dumbo-tainment centers, lights, etc. etc.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I have an 18 F-150 XL with the STX package and the 2.7L EB. I have a lead foot and have gotten 16.2 MPG consistently for the last year. The STX package is awesome. Has all the electronics and stuff but doesn't have the yuppy stuff like navigation and "wood" panels and sun/moon roof. I still have the ford connectivity with a full and large center console, 20 inch rims that I surprisingly like and a few other nice touches. Its the extended cab with the 6.5 bed.

My only complaint about the truck is the turbo lag and it's 2WD. It's fast, powerful, looks great and tows exceptionally well for a V6.

I personally do not like the start/stop. For me, when i lift off the brake there is a lag and then there is kind of a jolt- hard to explain but it has never felt like it's supposed to have the function. I think its a lame selling point. My wife's BMW has the start/stop and you can barely tell the car turns off. If you don't have the windows down you cant tell it stopped. And the MPG difference you get with it is extremely minimal.

This truck is just a lease- If I were to purchase one it would be the 5.0 because I don't trust an under powered engine with dual turbos to last very long. I think my next truck will be either an F250 or a RAM 2500 Power Wagon.

I also personally like the 10 speed transmission. Especially when towing.

I highly recommend the F150 they're fantastic. The white 98 in my avatar was at 256k miles when i got rid of it. The engine still ran great but the rear end kept going out and would cost $1200 minimum everytime so I let it go.

As far as the compromise with your wife...An extended cab F250 with a 6.5 bed is not all that much bigger/wider than a F150.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have had a 2015 F-150 XLT 301A super crew with the FX4 Sport package with the 5.0L V8 / 3:73's for 2.5 years. For me it had all the options I wanted (9.75 axle, tow package, integrated trailer brake, tailgate step) and none of the fluff i didn't. (big screen, heated seats, moonroof etc.) I've put 50,000 miles on it so far. Towed and hauled lots with it. No complaints. Can't comment on the EcoBoost part or the 10 speed transmission but, the rest of the truck has been good.

You mentioned you have kids. For me, this would rule out a mid size. I've looked at them all, New Ranger, Gladiator, Tacoma etc. Not very much room back there if you want to drive more than just around town with kids in the back. You didn't mention their ages either. If they are young and can fit in the back of a mid size truck now, great. But, what about in a few years when they hit growth spurts.

zuren

Adventurer
I have had a 2015 F-150 XLT 301A super crew with the FX4 Sport package with the 5.0L V8 / 3:73's for 2.5 years. For me it had all the options I wanted (9.75 axle, tow package, integrated trailer brake, tailgate step) and none of the fluff i didn't. (big screen, heated seats, moonroof etc.) I've put 50,000 miles on it so far. Towed and hauled lots with it. No complaints. Can't comment on the EcoBoost part or the 10 speed transmission but, the rest of the truck has been good.

You mentioned you have kids. For me, this would rule out a mid size. I've looked at them all, New Ranger, Gladiator, Tacoma etc. Not very much room back there if you want to drive more than just around town with kids in the back. You didn't mention their ages either. If they are young and can fit in the back of a mid size truck now, great. But, what about in a few years when they hit growth spurts.

I should have elaborated on the kids - a 4 year old in a forward-facing car seat and a 9 month old in a rear facing seat. I tried getting into the back seat of a Nissan Frontier and couldn't do it (I'm 6'2", 34" inseam).

zuren

Adventurer

Just did more digging and it looks like the front bench is only available in up to the XLT package. It is available in far more RAM packages.

Do you have a link to the engine discussion? I looked but couldn't find it.

This truck is just a lease- If I were to purchase one it would be the 5.0 because I don't trust an under powered engine with dual turbos to last very long.

A turbo engine doesn't spook me much. My existing car has a turbo on a underpowered engine. The engineers went a step further and undersized the oil capacity and under spec-ed the oil type, so there were a lot of engine failures when the engine was first introduced - hot turbo + low oil capacity to carry the heat away + incorrectly spec-ed oil = sludged engines. My engine has been running synthetic oil with the updated high capacity oil filter and have never had a problem. Without the turbo, this engine is a dog. As long as you run synthetic oil and let the turbos cool before shutdown, you should be good.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I don't see that thread either. Must have gotton locked, or was a shill thread?

It was basically ''I gambled on a leaser turn in and lost. Waaa waaa waaa. " Thread. "An $80,000 truck shouldn't have problems. Waaa.''

It was pretty weak. Nothing non-fixable at all.

nickw

Adventurer
I got to drive a 19' F150 3.5 EB for a week, have seat time in a 2017 2.7 EB and currently have a 19' Ranger with the 2.3 EB. I wouldn't hesitate on either of the full sizes with EB's, they are a sweet package. If I had the room to park it and lived outside of a city/metro area, I'd have a newer F150 XLT 3.5 EB w/Tow & Haul Package. Surprising amount of power, excellent drive-ability and I got a good 20 MPG with the 3.5. I like the 2.7 too, but prefer the 3.5, but can't go wrong with either though.

I agree with you, 6.5' bed is ideal, but I was able to deal with the 5.5' bed too, still decent amount of room.

brandon12777

• 6 forward facing seats (assuming front bench seat)
  • Separate cargo and passenger areas - tired of hearing my wife complain about everything that is supposedly going to be flying around the passenger compartment in my van during an accident
  • Gets the best MPGs (on paper) of any full-size truck I'm considering (assuming proper engine/tranny pairing)
  • Good safety rating vs. other trucks
  • Engine Start/Stop feature - some people complain about this, I think I'm willing to compromise to get better MPG and pollute less
My ideal configuration would be:

• EcoBoost V6 (best MPG that I can find in a truck)
  • 10 speed tranny (helps MPG statement above)
  • XLT or Lariat package
  • Bench front seat (we have a times of needed to seat 6 people)
  • 6.5' bed

So I basically have exactly that truck....

2017 3.5 Ecoboost, Lariat (5 seater) 5.5' bed.

6 seats: I wish I had 6 seats since I have 3 kids the normal load is maxed out for any family stuff. The downside of not having the center console though is no dedicated rear AC vents. This is a big deal in AZ for keeping the kids in back cool
Separate cargo: Yes this is really nice and the truck is what we take everywhere even though I have a setup 100 series land cruiser too, truck just holds more stuff and people comfortably. Land Cruiser is now just for more wheeling type trails.
MPG: I drive probably 60/40 hwy/city and before my lift and tires I got 18-19mpg. After lift and tires(34's) 15-16mpg. This is not the from the dash I use "Simply Auto" app and accurately track my stats.
Start/Stop: I don't like it but I don't super hate it either. Sometimes I turn it off when I know it might screw my on a quick stop and turn for example. Most of the time I just live with it and let it do its thing.

Micsilanous comments: I have always had Toyotas and this truck is the best truck ever. With that said it's not a Toyota and the build quality annoys me. Also it's been at the dealer more days than all of my lifetime Toyotas combined. It hasnt broken down and left me stranded or anything and I would still take it wherever without fearing that but just way too many major mechanical fixes. I am really really hoping the 2021 Tundra is worth it.

The last time it was at the dealer they gave me an XLT 2wd 2.7. Holy crap the 2.7 is nuts good. I didn't even look at them when I got my truck but that thing is a champ.
On the year subject DO NOT get a pre 2017 3.5, in 2017 it's almost a whole new 3.5 and one major change is the extra port injector which serves many purposed one of which is helping the carbon bulid up all DI engines face. You'd have to check but I think the 2.7 got this change in 2018. The 10 Speed is blah, yes better MPG and there are sometimes it's so amazingly smooth and others it makes retarded shifts and clunks around. I already had them replace the valve body and update the programming due to this stuff. Little better now but it just is what it is.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Attachments

• 7882300492698896770.jpg
    7882300492698896770.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85

bluerooster02

I drive a 2016 F150 SuperCrew Lariat, with the 6.5 ft bed and the 3.5L Ecoboost, and don't have any complaints. Yes, the 2017 3.5L got the dual injection setup and the 10spd (and is noticeably quicker thanks to it), but my '16 is no slouch.

The Lariat package has the most options available to it - it can be one step above an XLT or one step below the Platinum, it just depends on how it was configured.

Auto start/stop didn't hit the 3.5 until 2017, so it won't be included in a '16. It can be turned off (permanently) using Forscan if you get one with it and decide you hate it.

The huge sunroof looks nice, but there are a lot of complaints about issues with them. My drain tube came disconnected during a big downpour and I ended up with a couple gallons of water I had to remove from below the carpet, and it occasionally sticks when I try to open it. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't include it as a requirement for my search.

I have twins under 2 years old - so dual, rear-facing, carseats. No issues with them behind the driver or passenger seat (I'm 6'1" 250lbs), which is great. There is no LATCH system in the middle of the rear seat, so you'll have to use the seat belt if you want to position a car seat there.

The SuperCrew with a 6.5' bed is a unicorn in Texas - I actually ended up with a truck out of BC that had been imported to Phoenix. I don't think you'll have as hard a time with that in MI, they seem more popular up north.

As far as gearing, the 4x4 models were available in 3.31 and 3.55, or 3.73 with select packages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman