2016-2017 F150 4x4 EcoBoost - Real world experiences??

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Auto start/stop didn't hit the 3.5 until 2017, so it won't be included in a '16. It can be turned off (permanently) using Forscan if you get one with it and decide you hate it.
Is this different for the 18 do you know? I used turn mine off manually every time I started the truck. Now it is always off and I don't have to manually do it...but never went into the system to turn it off.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The downside of not having the center console though is no dedicated rear AC vents. This is a big deal in AZ for keeping the kids in back cool
Yes, the rear vents are a big plus. If I could, I'd rather have the console without the shifter for more storage. But, console shift is standard with the sport pkg.

bluerooster02

Is this different for the 18 do you know? I used turn mine off manually every time I started the truck. Now it is always off and I don't have to manually do it...but never went into the system to turn it off.

Should be the same. Sport or tow/haul mode will automatically disable it, or some tunes might.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Special ordered my 2016 F150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost 3.55 gears...just so I would not have to put up with the auto start/stop feature and be a beta tester for the new 10 speed transmission coming out in 2017. 32,000 miles on it so far and it has been flawless. Not one thing has gone wrong that I would have needed to take it back to the dealer for. 20.9 mpg lifetime fuel average - and that comes from an Excel spreadsheet I maintain, not the dash display. LOVE THIS TRUCK!

zuren

Adventurer
Yes, the rear vents are a big plus. If I could, I'd rather have the console without the shifter for more storage. But, console shift is standard with the sport pkg.

So there are no vents to the rear seat if the front seat is a bench in the Ford? I'm in MI and while the rear vents would be nice, I'm not sure they are critical. But my wife may have something different to say about it.

Special ordered my 2016 F150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost 3.55 gears...just so I would not have to put up with the auto start/stop feature and be a beta tester for the new 10 speed transmission coming out in 2017. 32,000 miles on it so far and it has been flawless. Not one thing has gone wrong that I would have needed to take it back to the dealer for. 20.9 mpg lifetime fuel average - and that comes from an Excel spreadsheet I maintain, not the dash display. LOVE THIS TRUCK!

So you are a 3.5L, 6 sp. tranny, with 3.55 gears? As I search trucks on Autotrader for 2017, every one so far has been the 6 speed. I have not found a 10 speed truck listed yet (unless the listings are wrong, which I find to be true at times).

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
So there are no vents to the rear seat if the front seat is a bench in the Ford? I'm in MI and while the rear vents would be nice, I'm not sure they are critical. But my wife may have something different to say about it.
I can't comment if trucks with the bench have rear vents under the seats as I have never owned a 2015 to current F-150 with the front bench.

brandon12777

I can't comment if trucks with the bench have rear vents under the seats as I have never owned a 2015 to current F-150 with the front bench.

The 2019 XLT loaner I just had was like a normal truck/car with heat vents under the seat but only AC/fascia vents on the dash. In MI I would think the AC from the front to the back would be plenty, in AZ you almost have to have those rear vents.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
2018 XLT. 3.5 ecoboost.
Loaded up with 4 people and lots of bags.
Numerous mountain passes.
From Grand junction CO to yellowstone NP.
ARE camper on the 5.5 bed.

brandon12777

2018 XLT. 3.5 ecoboost.

The dash is off a little mine normally by 1mpg but even with that it's still great MPG. I'm a little heavier than you with Lariat but my best tank ever in 30k miles is 19.33mpg (true not dash). That's probably 75% Hwy, and flat.

zuren

Adventurer
2018 XLT. 3.5 ecoboost.

Which transmission are you rolling with - 6 sp. or 10 sp.? Looks like a 10 sp. based on the numbers to the right side of the display.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
2018 XLT. 3.5 ecoboost.
View attachment 522834
Do you have a bigger gas tank? How the hell are you getting approx 700 miles on a full tank?

I admit I have a lead foot and drive about 85 MPH but I have the 2.7 EB and am at 16.1 MPG...highest I ever got was 21 MPG when I was on an 8 hour road trip to Big Sur and was 75 MPH cruise control the whole time.

brandon12777

Do you have a bigger gas tank? How the hell are you getting approx 700 miles on a full tank?

I admit I have a lead foot and drive about 85 MPH but I have the 2.7 EB and am at 16.1 MPG...highest I ever got was 21 MPG when I was on an 8 hour road trip to Big Sur and was 75 MPH cruise control the whole time.

The big gas tank is a good mention, that and the rear locker should be on your "must have" list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman