2016 Tacoma

Skinny

It all started with the Ram redesign in 94'!

The back then new Ram I think actually looked good and was proportional to the rest of the truck. The 97' SuperDuty upped the game and to me is still relatively decent in styling although the cabs started to get way oversized (unfortunately the engine sucks to work on despite the cab size). Anything past that point is just rubbish. Nothing is proportional and that grille is mammoth. I agree, body color and grille insert does save the day. Have you seen the Avalon and Camry...holy ****! You'd think they have a 12L class 8 diesel under the hood...

Clutch

<---Pass

The back then new Ram I think actually looked good and was proportional to the rest of the truck. The 97' SuperDuty upped the game and to me is still relatively decent in styling although the cabs started to get way oversized (unfortunately the engine sucks to work on despite the cab size). Anything past that point is just rubbish. Nothing is proportional and that grille is mammoth. I agree, body color and grille insert does save the day. Have you seen the Avalon and Camry...holy ****! You'd think they have a 12L class 8 diesel under the hood...

The grills are getting ridiculous....though nothing new. What was old is now new again. :) Some reason they don't look as good as the old iron.

GrainTruck5%20(2).jpg

0407st_01_z%2B1950_chevrolet_pickup%2B50_chevy_pickup.jpg

Skinny

Oh man, can't even compare them. Those trucks are works of art compared to anything modern. I think back then they actually chrome plated metal instead of plastic :)

DVexile

Adventurer
Hey, that pic looks like it was taken in AZ!

I think you are right. When I first saw some of these most recent desert shots I just thought Mojave north of LA since that is where a lot of product shots and video are done and there was plenty of creosote around. But in that photo the barrel cactus is more Sonoran than Mojave flora. There is also a video released at the same time as these desert photos and if you watch that it is clearly AZ, a few saguaro and a lot of palo verde as well.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think you are right. When I first saw some of these most recent desert shots I just thought Mojave north of LA since that is where a lot of product shots and video are done and there was plenty of creosote around. But in that photo the barrel cactus is more Sonoran than Mojave flora. There is also a video released at the same time as these desert photos and if you watch that it is clearly AZ, a few saguaro and a lot of palo verde as well.

We recently move to the Boise area from Tucson...looks like my old stomping ground. I am going to have to rewatch the video and see if can recognize the spot.

bkg

Explorer

Not exactly, but sort of... it really started when the NHTSA forced truck designers to lower their front bumpers to reduce damage/risk to people in small cars should they get hit by a truck. I think that was in the mid-90's. Notice that the valances started to appear above the front bumper instead of below (I'm use those words creatively, of course).

EZE

Observer
Granted it's hard to tell from the photos, but I hate that it keeps getting bigger (or at least looking bigger). I LOVE my 93 pickup - even lifted up a bit its got an unassuming profile, plenty of visibility out of the front and sides and the 22re has -enough- power to do what I need it to albeit slowly. If Toyota could slim down the taco, or release another model (I know, never going to happen) thats back around the pickup/1st gen size but with a bit more power than what I've currently got I would be in heaven. Instead it seems to be following the unfortunate trend of bigger BIGGER BIGGER!!!!!

Skinny

Those old trucks remind me of an Iron Pig (FJ55) I saw a few days ago own in Wilmington. It was absolutely mint shape. It just had that old classic styling...I think they call it character :)

I think Toyota just kinda blended everything together and made them in different sizes. I mean look at the crossover platforms. Do the RAV4, Highlander, and Venza differ other than size and engine package? They are all cookie cutter vehicles based on what you can afford. None of them actually do anything well. Add the Sienna minivan AWD model because it is no different other than it has a sliding door. Now go over to the framed SUV's. Exact same issue. Sure the FJ Cruiser was different but I personally think lacked some serious options. It was really the only competition to the Jeep JK but on the Jeep side you had door numbers, multiple trim lines, and even something with a better tcase plus F+R lockers. The FJ just couldn't compete...and I say that as a die hard Toyota tech/instructor/fan.

Now the overseas Toyota production line, complete different story. Anything you can imagine with bull bars, snorkels, winches, and sliders as options. Just be ready to empty the bank account to get it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Oh man, can't even compare them. Those trucks are works of art compared to anything modern. I think back then they actually chrome plated metal instead of plastic :)
I had a '56 Plymouth Belvedere I inherited as a very young man (promptly wrecked it). On that not only was anything chrome plated done on steel but some of the trim was actually made from highly polished stainless steel.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
haha so true.

I seem to be the only one here who likes some luxury in a truck. I don't like to total luxury that a top of the line GMC would give you, but, I definitely like some.

I'm with you - nothing wrong with a little fanciness in a capable package! That's why they still make base models.. for the guys that don't want what we do!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'm with you - nothing wrong with a little fanciness in a capable package! That's why they still make base models.. for the guys that don't want what we do!
Yeah, I'm starting to warm up to cruise control. One man's base model is another's high end...

It's just completely foreign to me to even think about leather in a pickup. Makes no sense. But I do tend to treat my trucks not all that much differently than a CJ5/7 or Wrangler, although just shy of actually straight-up hosing it out I have removed the plugs and trickled water in there. There generally trends to be a little less distinction about what is 'inside' and what is 'outside' with respect to my truck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
haha so true.

I seem to be the only one here who likes some luxury in a truck. I don't like to total luxury that a top of the line GMC would give you, but, I definitely like some.

If a dealer is going to ask near sticker price 40K for these trucks the interior better be nicer than the 1985 Toyota I had back in the day. 40K sticker price they might as well put the Lexus interior in them given the difference in parts cost is so little it would be dumb not to put better quality interior bits in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues