2017 Discovery drive..Land Rover is getting back to its old self again!

morrisdl

Adventurer
D5 will make a nice addition to the fleet. I think the 2007 LR3 were still "Chawton White" like my 2006. Thats the classic creamy white and my FAV of all the white varieties. GLWtS

Dalko43

Explorer
There, I did it. I've committed high treason. A life-long toyota owner with an FJ-40 and 1st gen Tundra changed his mind from a 4Runner and put a reservation down on this:

View attachment 397099

Now I sit patientily, looking through my window for the first signs of the Toyota lynch mob surely on its way.

EDIT: I'm getting the 20" wheels, not the 22s. Just noticed it's wrong on that screen grab.

No one is going to "lynch" you for switching from a Toyota to a Land Rover. Just don't fool yourself into thinking that this new discovery is going to be as reliable or As capable as a Toyota 4x4 SUV or truck when it comes to overland or off-road travel.

With land rover, you're buying a luxury brand that has some off-roading heritage. Now if they bring a real defender back into production, things might be different, but that's a big if...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackW

Explorer
This thing is quiet, smooth and has plenty of power. With about 40 miles of around town use so far with a five mile run up the expressway its showing over 22 mpg right off the bat. So far I'm pretty impressed. Its going to be a great road trip car with the engine turning about 1700 rpm at 70 mph. The D5 is significantly quieter than the LR3 - especially wind noise and really noticeable with the windows down.

Attachments

• IMG_2292.jpg
    IMG_2292.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2296.jpg
    IMG_2296.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 25

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I will say credit to you for actually buying and trying one. Keep posting about it.

Make sure that D3 goes to a good home...

JackW

Explorer
My LR3 has been a great truck - its one of the reasons I decided to try the D5. I could have waited and driven the 3 a couple of more years because my ultimate goal is to order one of the next Defenders as soon as they are introduced. But I thought it would be nice to drive something new for a couple of years that we could still tow a small travel trailer with. I like station wagons (always have) because they are so useful and I love diesels. I've been telling the guys at Land Rover for years - if you bring in a diesel I'll buy it - so when the Diesel RRS came in I almost sprung for one of those. I just thought they were a bit small inside and lost some of the functionality I look for in a wagon. The new Discovery isn't a perfect design by any means but its a very nice road car with the space and ability to go the places I plan on travel to with it. I won't be doing the trails at Uwharrie with it because that's not what I bought it for and I have three other Land Rovers for that kind of use. I can tow my Series IIA 88" to Uwharrie and ride around the trails with that once I finish the restoration of it next year. After one day and about 60 miles of ownership I'm pretty impressed, it's quiet, comfortable, quick, and handles better than its older brother.

Attachments

• C12P2867.jpg
    C12P2867.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 22

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk