2018 Diesel Colorado timing belt swap

superbuickguy

Explorer
The news is getting out that the best midsize is a Chevrolet Colorado Diesel. Yes, I get 25 mpg with a 6" lift and 33" tires. My wife has one as well that gets 35 mpg.
That said, all is not amazing because they do require a timing belt service at 150,000 miles. It's an interference motor so erring to the side of caution is a good idea. Mine just about has 100k on it.

The video is extremely helpful but the American trucks are different. I'll try to highlight that as I relate. I'll put notes at the bottom.
drain the coolant
njHCjPZh.jpg

after finally getting the radiator out, I was greeted with this view
V2tvJDkh.jpg

a note - taking it out the bottom is quite a bit easier
leave the side supports in place, pull the bolts illustrated at the bottom, then pop the tabs on the top (slide down, then the sides pry out just a bit so you can push the radiator towards the engine.. and drop it down (again, the tabs he refers to in the video are along the bottom of the radiator - horizontal to the ground)
ycMREGih.jpg

do what I didn't, pull the air intake rubber hose out - it makes getting the various shrouds out a lot easier
69qTBb7h.jpg

belt routing
JLtbMddh.jpg

to get the belt off, you have to pull the tensioner
Y2za04oh.jpg

after finally getting the radiator out and the various air duct/fans out (not fun), this little fun thing popped up... that says "reverse thread".... and it is. thankfully I've experienced in these things so it really wasn't a deal - but if you're not - beware
dmpa5VIh.jpg

finally, to the timing cover
GBLdIEHh.jpg

just like suggested in the video - time to draw lines
ht9xvM1h.jpg

T4jla7ch.jpg

and new belt aligned
FoHgcNih.jpg

last before the cover can go back on, you need to align the pointer to the notch to set proper tension (and it's in the video)
a5HQXx1h.jpg

back together - it even runs
3qT2z9Oh.jpg

1) the engine fan has an electronic engagement that must be removed - pull the red tab out just a bit, stick a pick in the fan side and pry the tab up to release. The metal bit holding the wiring comes apart by just squeezing - use a zip tie to put back together... trust me on this
2) I wondered at why he bothered spinning the motor over before he put it back together.... when you pull the belt, if there's tension on the cam shaft, it'll move. When you put it back together, just use your marks and spin the cam using a 13mm socket and ratchet (and by spin, I mean move a few degrees to get everything to line up)
3) you'll notice mine has a water seep? I simply don't care enough to fix it.
4) I could have made life easier if I'd made room on the passenger side to remove the shroud and fan veins. You really can't get the fan off without pulling all of that (including the radiator).... that said, given the amount of crap on the radiator and trapped at the bottom - I'm glad I did pull it.

skrypj

I had to do this on my Jeep Liberty CRD which has the older brother to this motor. It was a good time.

TwinStick

Explorer
We had a 2019 ZR2 diesel. Traded it in on the 2023 ZR2. The jury is still out if I actually traded up or down yet though. Old truck was getting 22-28 mpg all day long. New truck is up to 14.1, from 11. Truck is at 1400 miles now.

Love the truck, hate the issues. Hate the mpg.

4/9/24 Update: now at 15.2 mpg and that includes about 600 miles of towing our 6x10 enclosed utility trailer with maybe 500 lbs in it & 100 miles of towing with over 1000 lbs. Just hit 2000 miles today taking the snowblower in. So,if it ever gets to the 16 on the sticker, I guess that's about all I can hope for.

I can't help but wonder, if this truck would actually increase mpg with 4.10's. I have read that even people with the 3.6 gas motor in the 2nd Gens have seen an increase, not just the Diesel.

Last edited:

Paratus Outdoors

I did this a few months ago, highly recommend Sasquatch Parts timing belt kit and their tool rental

Timing Belt kit includes
  • Gates Water Pump
  • Gates Timing Belt Tensioner
  • Gates Serpentine Drive Belt
  • Gates Timing Belt
  • OE GM Harmonic Balancer Seal
  • OE GM Camshaft Core Plug [single use]

Tool rental was quite helpful for peace of mind, knowing you can't accidentally turn too far and helps with leverage getting the belt back on the proper teeth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete