2018 Jeep Wrangler spotted on the side of the road

Bobzdar

Observer
I don't see much difference between those trucks besides the AEV one looks decked out in aftermarket parts, which the first one could and would be also, lol

+1, they look pretty much the same except for the aftermarket stuff on the 2nd one. I'd be happy with either.

If they build it on the ram frame that would mean it could actually tow/haul a decent amount so I'd be all for that.

kayadog

Adventurer
I agree-- same truck. Its interesting how worked up everyone gets when there is a new Jeep before anyone actually sees or drives one. I hope that with the new Wrangler they keep the great things about the JK while improving some of the shortcomings (low payload, low towing, poor gas mileage) and I'll reserve my judgment about it until I actually see one. I'm just glad that there is a Wrangler based pickup coming and that I will still be able to buy a new vehicle with solid axles, a real 4x4 system, some type of removable top, and probably a diesel engine well into the 21st century. The fact that it will come stock with 33" tires is the icing on the cake.

(And everything I've read says it will be based on a JL not a RAM, although I'm not sure why that would be a bad thing)

Zeep

Adventurer
I agree-- same truck. Its interesting how worked up everyone gets when there is a new Jeep before anyone actually sees or drives one. I hope that with the new Wrangler they keep the great things about the JK while improving some of the shortcomings (low payload, low towing, poor gas mileage) and I'll reserve my judgment about it until I actually see one. I'm just glad that there is a Wrangler based pickup coming and that I will still be able to buy a new vehicle with solid axles, a real 4x4 system, some type of removable top, and probably a diesel engine well into the 21st century. The fact that it will come stock with 33" tires is the icing on the cake.

(And everything I've read says it will be based on a JL not a RAM, although I'm not sure why that would be a bad thing)

^^^ Yep, all of this, plus please no fugly renegade taillights!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I was just thinking about the rumor regarding the new JL Wrangler being longer due to the extra room supposedly needed for the 8 speed transmission.
If this is correct, the new JL may be hitting the sweet spot of 100" wheel base, while the JLU may be able to maintain the 116" wheel base it has currently.
(Of course with initials like JLU, it's probably going to be getting a bigger butt... ;))

I've run rigs with 100" wheel base, and really like it. Especially in the rocks with steep climbs, but also on the road. Trade off is a bit of turning radius, but I've followed CJ5s through some pretty tight trails, and never found that to be an issue worth trading the extra wheel base length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven