2018 XL F150 4x4 Reg Cab Long Bed Flatbed with Four Wheel Camper Grandby Shell - Seattle, WA

danneskjold

This is a 2018 F150 XL Regular Cab Long Bed with the 3.3 V6 and roughly 78k miles with a Four Wheel Camper Grandby Shell. But it is so much more than that.

This truck was purchased new from the dealership, but has been extensively modified to support extended travel. I lived out of this vehicle for a year and a half, and I am only selling because I purchased a 2004 F450 Ambulance I am converting.

Because I lived and travelled out of this vehicle it does show signs of use, but everything on it is in good mechanical condition and I have been religious about maintenance and oil changes. The engine is completely stock, and the only mod I have done to the drivetrain was having Yukon put 4.88 gears in it.

That being said, I think it is an incredibly well built truck that has been pretty much “fully upgraded.” Suspension, wheels/tires, regearing, etc. - it’s all been done and has been done with the best parts available.

Because there is a lack of storage with a regular cab truck I had an aluminum Hillsboro flatbed installed with toolboxes on the sides for storage. The Hillsboro is incredibly well made and I have had zero problems with it. The two toolboxes on the top are made by DeeZee, while the bottom toolboxes are made by Hillsboro and an unnamed company on eBay. The driver side rear toolbox holds an ARB Twin Compressor.

On the back of the flatbed are 2x Baja Designs S2 lights to act as a ditch (yellow) light and a backup (white) light. These are controlled via the sPOD Bantam X.

To support the increased weight from the camper and flatbed the stock leaf pack has had additional leafs installed, and to improve the ride King Shocks with reservoirs has been mounted to the truck with RPG Offroad’s reenforced shock mounts along with their frame reenforcement kit and a 2.5x4.0 King hydro bump stops. These components are virtually bulletproof, having been made for Raptors.

The King Shocks have allowed just enough room to put 35” Nitto Ridge Grappler tires on, which in my opinion are the best tire on the market. Wanting to avoid raising the truck any more than I have had to, the tires rub slightly on the crash bars when doing hard right turns. It would be a simple modification to remove the crashbars, but I have chosen to keep them due to safety.

Because of the amount of time spent in the back country, a winch is a no brainer. I have a ComeUp 12.5rs synthetic line winch with a Factor55 flatlink and fairlead mounted in a WARN Ascent front bumper.

Also on the bumper are 2x Baja Designs LP9 Pros, XL Sports in Amber, and Squadron Sports in Amber. These are all controlled via the sPod Bantam X.

Inside the truck, the seats have all had Clazzio black leather seat covers put on them. These covers make it look like factory leather, and are quite comfortable. There is a BuiltRight Industries Dash Mount in place to run RAM or 67D ball mounts, and there have been RAM mounts added to each a pillar. On the left A Pillar there is a control pad for the sPOD Bantam X. Because the camper renders my backup camera useless, I have added a new camera and monitor in the space of the old mirror that I leave on while driving.

The elephant in the room is weight…as is with camper this truck weighs about 7800lbs with a GVWR of 6390. That being said, I think this truck handles amazingly well and with the 4.88 Yukon gears I get a consistent 13 MPG on the freeway while coasting at about 2000-2100 RPMs at 65mph. It won’t win any speed races, but it accelerates and brakes appropriately and drives great.

That being said, here is what I would say is “wrong” with it:
There is a good size dent in the driver side door from when I winched myself off of a tree route. Completely cosmetic.
The front, and driver side window have cracks in them from Alaska - I will have these replaced prior to turning over keys.
My dog sat with me for almost the whole time I was in the vehicle, so there is dog hair - I will pay to have it professionally cleaned/detailed prior to sale. If you don’t care, we can take $500 off.

Not including the cost of the truck, there has been a calculated $23,584+ worth of modifications and additions to this truck (see picture) which are all included in the sale. As it sits now, I would have zero hesitation about driving it to South America.

Looking for $30k for the truck, $45k with the camper (more on that later).

Vehicle is located in Seattle, WA.

DSC08379.jpgIMG_2282.JPGIMG_5071.JPGIMG_1358.JPGScreen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.25.15 PM.png

danneskjold

Do you have an interior pictures of the FWC?

Yes, I have some older ones but I need to clean it up a bit first before I start posting more images.

The Grandby is a shell model from 2013 that comes with a roll-over couch/front dinette hybrid. I have used both terms and been told I am wrong by different people. In short, there is a dinette table mounted to the backwall with a couch on either sold that folds down into a full size bed. I have slept 3 adults and a 50lbs dog in the camper quite comfortably. I believe these were installed by FWC back in the day.

I built the shell out myself, added a Dometic stove with a sink and a water tank. Added in a Battleborn LiFePo4 battery, Victron MPPT with 200W of solar, ARB 50qt fridge, 3x Baja Designs angled squadron lights, Propex heater, Propane, WeBoost, etc.

The major issue with the camper is the front window got destroyed last year, and there is just a sheet of reflectix there instead. The reflectix works great, and I had plans to get the window fixed at FWC San Bernardino location but COVID destroyed those plans. Total replacement cost with parts and labor is $350 per FWC.

I have about $9k of extras into the camper. I would like $16k for it by itself, and it comes with jacks.

DSC07948.JPGDSC07944.JPGScreen Shot 2020-07-09 at 8.25.39 PM.png

Last edited:

MotoMind

Incredible build, you really thought about what it takes to make a rig comfortable on and off the road for extended travel. It's kind of you to disclose it, but I personally would not sweat the GVWR if the suspension and tires are up to spec.

From what I am reading Ford seems to throw a variety of frames under a variety of packages. Depending on what packages you got on the truck (and possibly even pure chance) you may have the thicker frame used on heavy duty/heavy duty payload package trucks with a 7850 GVWR.

Oh and what you have is a front dinette on the Grandby. I know because I bought one new in 2018 and ordered a front dinette, which is perhaps a rare enough option that maybe people don't know what's it's called.

Last edited:

Pax2525

Adventurer
Incredible build, you really thought about what it takes to make a rig comfortable on and off the road for extended travel. It's kind of you to disclose it, but I personally would not sweat the GVWR if the suspension and tires are up to spec.

From what I am reading Ford seems to throw a variety of frames under a variety of packages. Depending on what packages you got on the truck (and possibly even pure chance) you may have the thicker frame used on heavy duty/heavy duty payload package trucks with a 7850 GVWR.

Oh and what you have is a front dinette on the Grandby. I know because I bought one new in 2018 and ordered a front dinette, which is perhaps a rare enough option that maybe people don't know what's it's called.

Its not a Front Dinette Grandby and people know what this is because the FD model is the #1 seller for FWC. Those are 2 rollover couches and a table added to appear like a front dinette. This is also a shell model like he specified in the ad, so it also can't be a FD model since they don't make shells with a FD from the factory.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Excellent setup and GLWS

I think the slide in camper on a flat bed and filling the void with exterior storage is hands down the best setup for basically every reason under the sun. Its getting more and more popular now and with good reason.

I had several gripes with my FWC, but the main one was lack of any storage accessible from the outside. Would be absurdly easy for them to add this. Then again, it would be easy for them to add a furnace that worked also :p

This is a great deal to the functional traveler.

SootyCamper

Very cool rig, Reg cabs sure give the rig a cool look. Good luck with the sale!

Two questions: Do you recall the wheel base, and what is the total length of the rig as shown?

P.s. As stated already thank you for being honest about the weight.

Last edited:

danneskjold

Very cool rig, Reg cabs sure give the rig a cool look. Good luck with the sale!

Two questions: Do you recall the wheel base, and what is the total length of the rig as shown?

P.s. As stated already thank you for being honest about the weight.

Wheel base is 141 inches.

As far as length...I’m not sure. I can try and measure later but I’m probably 1.5-2 feet longer than stock due to flatbed and bumper.
I can say that I can get on WA ferries without getting charged overage fees. Costs me $20 with the F150, $80 with the ambo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven