2019 F350 4x4 custom HPI flatbed/AT Atlas topper

rruff

Explorer
Correct me if I'm wrong y'all, but it's different if we're talking Fuso/Isuzu, or Unimog, vs modern domestic pickup, yes?

Pretty sure the frame on your truck is designed to flex. Like this one:
2014-ford-f350-frame-bed-twist-test.png

Actually your chassis-cab might be even more flexy. It's possible that the 4WC can accommodate this, but it's something to check on.

Unsure about fords, but ram chassis cabs are C channel and their pickups are fully boxed. Seems counter intuitive

I think it has more to do with payload. A boxed frame (torisonally stiff) has become common for 1/2ton and maybe some 3/4ton, but the higher the load is the tougher it is to make a frame that is sufficiently stiff *and* strong enough to handle the load. So they are designed to let the frame flex so the wheels stay on the ground when you get crossed up.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
No I have the timebomb 6.0 it’s bulletproofed and deleted but still a headache but has only left me on the side of the road once and it was a blown coolant line where the cheap plastic Y broke.

Glad to hear it's bulletproofed. VANdiana Jones' 6.0L treated me well, but I was overly cautious with it.

I think doing upgrades yourself is a good idea. While I feel fwc does a great job with their shells the are similar to all the other RV manufacturers with the interior quality. You have experience in a camper but sometimes it’s best to just use it and see what needs upgrading.
As far as solar I have two100w panels on the roof that run into a goal zero yeti 1200 with a second 100ah battery piggybacked to it. Seems to be enough for me. I would like to install a dedicated charger and solar controller though. I use the yeti for power at outdoor art shows and when I do that my fridge turns off.

Agree with you. Thx for the feedback on what you have.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Pretty sure the frame on your truck is designed to flex. Like this one:
2014-ford-f350-frame-bed-twist-test.png

Actually your chassis-cab might be even more flexy. It's possible that the 4WC can accommodate this, but it's something to check on.

I think it has more to do with payload. A boxed frame (torisonally stiff) has become common for 1/2ton and maybe some 3/4ton, but the higher the load is the tougher it is to make a frame that is sufficiently stiff *and* strong enough to handle the load. So they are designed to let the frame flex so the wheels stay on the ground when you get crossed up.

GooseGear's is a pickup, and I'm hugely impressed with it;
OVExpoEast1039-Edit.jpg

OVExpoEast1051.jpg

OVExpoEast1156.jpg

rruff

Explorer
GooseGear's is a pickup, and I'm hugely impressed with it;

And I'm pretty certain their flatbed isn't hard-mounted to the frame. Probably a 3 point with solid front mounts and pivoting rear. Pretty sure Alum-line won't do this; you'd need to build it yourself.

Paredneck

Observer
And I'm pretty certain their flatbed isn't hard-mounted to the frame. Probably a 3 point with solid front mounts and pivoting rear. Pretty sure Alum-line won't do this; you'd need to build it yourself.
Most pickups don’t have a 3 point frame. Usually U-bolts front and rear with some heavy springs on the front to allow for a little flex. Mine came hard mounted with no issues so far but I do plan on redoing the mounts when I take the camper off for a remodel soon.

rruff

Explorer
Usually U-bolts front and rear with some heavy springs on the front to allow for a little flex.

I don't understand how ubolts front and rear both (between frame and flatbed?) would allow any flex at all. Do you have a link to such a system?

The Goosegear truck obviously has a no flex at the front of the camper, since the cab and camper are perfectly lined up. I suspect they are allowing for a *lot* of flex in the back and using a pivot to do it.

What are you planning when you redo the mounts on your truck?

Joek6.5

I don't understand how ubolts front and rear both (between frame and flatbed?) would allow any flex at all. Do you have a link to such a system?

The Goosegear truck obviously has a no flex at the front of the camper, since the cab and camper are perfectly lined up. I suspect they are allowing for a *lot* of flex in the back and using a pivot to do it.

It’s all suspension flex. Carli Suspension is very good at what they do.

b0489aede21011fd7b21614d1a6234cd.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paredneck

Observer

they use heavy springs above a plate the bolt end of the u bolt goes through. the spring sits over the ubolt end then a large washer and nylock bolt go on. flex amount really varies depending on spring stiffness and length. Similar to this but with ubolts.
army duece dot five box_mounts 03.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

I doubt GG is using a 3pt/pivoting rear on the JT Gladiator and F350, but I'm waiting to hear and will update.

Another great thread on flatbed decks, pivoting or fixed (thanks for the link MH!), Jeep is MarkC of OverlandExplorer/Lite Industries in Alberta;

mobydick 11

they use heavy springs above a plate the bolt end of the u bolt goes through. the spring sits over the ubolt end then a large washer and nylock bolt go on. flex amount really varies depending on spring stiffness and length. Similar to this but with ubolts.
View attachment 563558
That is a very good set up used on heavy trucks . The frame you are showing us is a Mack truck I believe ,top loader rear differential and inverted springs . Nothing stronger ,but ruff ride . Look at the two front nuts on the frame !! There is a Guy called Everlander he did his own build .Box is hinged at the front and air locker on back. When he goes off road he unlocks the back ,so it can move f550 I think.

Darwin

Explorer
A question for the flatbed owners; do you have some kind of pivot or flex mount between the flatbed and frame? If not, is there a way to accommodate flex between the flatbed and camper?
Yes I have a cab chassis Ram and it has a captive spring mounted flatbed on it, currently planning a Total Composites box for it. You can see some pictures of it on the Instagram account from the builder @mountainguildoverland

rruff

Explorer
I doubt GG is using a 3pt/pivoting rear on the JT Gladiator and F350, but I'm waiting to hear and will update.
Another great thread on flatbed decks, pivoting or fixed (thanks for the link MH!), Jeep is MarkC of OverlandExplorer/Lite Industries in Alberta;

Yes, I remember seeing that, but his Dodge 2500 is a boxed frame (photo below) while yours is not. Ford F250s also went to boxed frames in 2017.
image-19-jpg.289255

Joek6.5

Do you know this for sure? From the photo I can't tell how much the frame is flexing and if there is a pivot, it would be hidden.

b0dc89e03f4191de600ce3eec47b829e.png

From this photo angle it doesn’t seem that the frame has moved what so ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues