2019 Ram Power Wagon

MedicWill

A diesel power wagon makes no sense.
Just the weight alone its a no go.

Remember, Power Wagons are the most offroad capable truck sold.
If a diesel would do it better, it would have one.

It doesn't, for a reason.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
A diesel power wagon makes no sense.
Just the weight alone its a no go.

Remember, Power Wagons are the most offroad capable truck sold.
If a diesel would do it better, it would have one.

It doesn't, for a reason.

It's not as simple as "if it would do it better it would have one" but you are right, it's not going to happen and if it ever did, it would be at a price point that would eliminate a large portion of potential buyers.

MedicWill

Actually it is.

If a diesel could offroad better, it would be in the Power Wagon.
Its cant. Plain and simple.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
According to their engineers, a diesel PW will not happen. Reduced payloads, winch-intercooler clearance and oil pan clearances issues arise. It would be cool if they could find a way to hop up the Eco-Diesel and make it fit.

with as heavy as the truck is, the eco-diesel would melt itself trying to make any amount of usable horsepower - there just isnt a way that you can extract all the heat out of the rolling portions of that engine effectively enough to keep any form of reliability. the 5.0 Cummins is really the only option that would have a shot at working.

the only issue is the nearly 1000 pound front biased additional weight.
there are plenty of reasons for a lighter weight diesel option, have you seen the way some people loadout their overland wagons?

theres rock climbing and mud slinging, then theres long distance overland with hours uphill or down.
two types of parties with baja boogie in the middle.

clearly weight is always a disadvantage, but mileage, low end torque, long distance is really a need in some regions.

ive really enjoyed this build and right now im on the verge of some final beef enhancements.

Ball joints
truss
37s

i really like Thurens truss and will most likely go that way.

Im super confused on ball joints. Ive narrowed down to EMF, CARLI, DYNATRAC.
Putting cost aside, i need the ball joint that will take the most abuse and wont wear itself to a point of vagueness too soon.

seems EMF and CARLI have great products for 2500 Rams but for some reason, not a whole lot of people talking about ball joints
out there.

then rotors/pads upon failure.

sdemarcus

Tex68w, have you given any thought to the new Gladiator? Or maybe a 6.0 powerstroke build? I think either if those would fit your needs. 05-07 Superduty year range would be a sweet setup, their should be plenty of those sitting around your parts of Texas. I know they have their issues, but they can easily be worked out to make a great platform. Or the new Gladiator if you prefer a new truck. A Gladiator with a soft topper for the dogs, and endless source of modifications available for you to enjoy building. For the wife, a happy husband. If you can't decide... buy both. Then enjoy the best of both worlds until you see a trend leaning towards one truck or the other. Then keep both just incase you change your mind. That's how I approach being a "indecisive truck owner". I have owned 10 trucks in the past 4 years, I get your situation trust me. Now I own the Powerwagon for DD, and my 97 obs F250 Powerstroke for my "obsessive" need to build.509362
From this to

MedicWill

Is there? Because those are the words from the people who make the truck, Dodge.
Im sorry but you dont know more than a multi billion dollar company with more years and R&D in vehicles than you have years of life.

The Power Wagon is marketed and sold as THE most offroad capable truck you can buy with a warranty.
Im sorry if you think a diesel would be better, it wouldn't. Its proven, they dont make or sell one. If it was worth it, they would.
They are capitalists, dont forget their goal. Getting your money.

The Power Wagon is not made to haul, the numbers are right there when you buy it.
Pretty obvious a 2500 truck that has less capability than a stock 2500, has been modified for other goals.
Not towing.

Im sorry you are buying something sold as one thing, very clearly, yet you want it to be a different thing.

Thats on you, not Dodge.

LOL, alright buddy! There's more to it than that, but if you want to simplify it down to that then knock yourself out.

PwrWagon

I like the write up. Only coming here to disagree with this one sentence haha. Duratracs are one of the best all around tires out there.

That being said, why they put them on a truck in Texas I don't understand. Down there they are pretty useless haha.

I agree with you on the Duratracs. While I will concede there seems to be some correlation between factory Duratracs and pre mature wear (my old truck had 33K miles and needed new tires) they are one of the best tires for where I live. We see plenty of rain and snow in the winters. My current Power Wagon just got a new set of 35x12.5R17 Duratracs on it last week. Didn't need new tires yet (only at 12K) but I wanted to go a little bigger. I have heard that the factory compound wears faster and is more prone to punctures comparted to the tires you get through distributors but I have nothing to back that up.

As for the rest of the face lift I am not a fan of the interior changes but I definetly like the new headlights! I would be curious to see if they are a bolt on upgrade to the 2018's

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
As for the rest of the face lift I am not a fan of the interior changes but I definetly like the new headlights! I would be curious to see if they are a bolt on upgrade to the 2018's

unsure of the wiring side of it, but in order to use them physically you will need the new hood, fenders, fascia, bumper, grille, new radiator support, and new headlight buckets. sounds like about $10,000 in new parts and body work.

or you could spend $1400 and buy the new Morimoto LED headlights

Untitled by Will Marshal, on Flickr

chet6.7

Explorer
Is there? Because those are the words from the people who make the truck, Dodge.
Im sorry but you dont know more than a multi billion dollar company with more years and R&D in vehicles than you have years of life.
Is this the company with a history of bankruptcy? The company that builds vehicles that are seldom considered the most reliable? The company that goes from one radiator, to two rads and back to one rad? That is some crackerjack R&D. Why are so many people looking for better headlights? My Honda CRV has better headlights,windshield wipers and AC than my truck,also, I haven't had to deal with numerous recalls, replacing parts while waiting for FCA to get around to identifying the problem and finally getting a fix out.
How much if any R&D did FCA spend on testing the 5.0 in a PW?

The Power Wagon is marketed and sold as THE most offroad capable truck you can buy with a warranty.
Im sorry if you think a diesel would be better, it wouldn't. Its proven, they dont make or sell one. If it was worth it, they would.
They are capitalists, dont forget their goal. Getting your money.
I agree the bottom line is important,but just because FCA does not sell a 5.0 Cummins does not prove that that engine will not offer something the 6.4 does not,each engine will have strengths and weaknesses.
Unless you can provide some data on FCA's R&D, testing the 5.0 Cummins in the PW, it is just speculation on your part.

The Power Wagon is not made to haul, the numbers are right there when you buy it.
Pretty obvious a 2500 truck that has less capability than a stock 2500, has been modified for other goals.
Not towing.
A diesel could add an aux fuel tank to increase operating range.

Im sorry you are buying something sold as one thing, very clearly, yet you want it to be a different thing.

Thats on you, not Dodge.

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
ive really enjoyed this build and right now im on the verge of some final beef enhancements.

Ball joints
truss
37s

i really like Thurens truss and will most likely go that way.

Im super confused on ball joints. Ive narrowed down to EMF, CARLI, DYNATRAC.
Putting cost aside, i need the ball joint that will take the most abuse and wont wear itself to a point of vagueness too soon.

seems EMF and CARLI have great products for 2500 Rams but for some reason, not a whole lot of people talking about ball joints
out there.

then rotors/pads upon failure.
I’ll narrow it down further for you, carli or dynatrac ball joints. When mine fail I’ll go with carli. For brakes I usually run ebc, but i went with power stop towing package, it’s drilled and slotted rotors and a set of pads, stops awesome no brake dust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3