2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

ramblinChet

Here is another shot from Eagle Pass, Texas. This is right at the border with Mexico and on the other side of the shipping containers topped with razor wire is the Rio Grande River, and then Mexico. The flag was huge and it looked good slowly blowing in the breeze.
image000000(104).jpg

Near the border I found several open air markets and stopped by a few. It seemed like 75% of the goods being sold are second hand clothes. Nearly everywhere I looked there were tables with piles of clothes on them while some, like this one, had over the counter medicine and makeup available. I paused and compared this to American women shopping in an air-conditioned mall with perfect temperature and humidity, a food court, impressive decorations and lighting, etc. It reminded me of visiting foreign countries when I was in the military and realizing just how good we had in in these United States.
image000000(105).jpg

Here are some friendly prickly pear cactus on a dirt road leading down to the Rio Grande near San Ygnacio, Texas. They are everywhere here and deserve a bit of attention. While researching these tough plants I discovered many interesting things such as the fact that they have been used for centuries by farmers as a natural fence for livestock. Heck, this plant is so common and valuable in so many ways it is even part of the Mexican Coat of Arms.
image000000(106).jpg

This is an interesting one. How many men from North Korea have ever driven an AEV Prospector? My guess is that this was the first time. And yes, I said North Korea, not South. I met this man and spent a few nights sipping hot green tea as the sun settled and the winds kept us cool. We covered a wide range of subjects although we spent most time discussing aviation and aeronautics. No secrets were shared although it was obvious we both had an above average knowledge on the subject and enjoyed talking with each other. After sharing details related to AEV and FWC he asked to take a ride and was beyond amazed at how well this lifted one-ton handled unmaintained dirt and gravel roads.
image000000(109).jpg

Attack of the killer bees! If any of you were old enough to remember the early '90s there was yet another example of our perverted government joining forces with main stream media to terrorize us citizens. Of course, these deadly bees resulted from genetic manipulation by reckless Brazilian scientists during the 1950s. Swarms escaped captivity (are you seeing a pattern?), and within a few decades they reached the southern border at Hidalgo, Texas. No, the bees were not this big and no, they ended up being not that big of a deal. But I recall watching the MSM terrorize mothers during interviews asking how would they be able to protect their children on the playground from swarms of Africanized Killer Bees!!!
image000000(108).jpg

Over the past month I have explored four-hundred miles of the US/Mexico border and have learned so much. Indigenous tribes, Spanish Conquistadors, Catholic religion, the formation of Mexico, the breakaway of the Republic of Texas, its application for annexation to these United States, etc. So much history and culture mixed in with great music and food in this beautiful area. My plan is to visit again during the winter to enjoy the warm weather while exploring and learning even more.
image000000(107).jpg

Yes, every few weeks, or once a month, I spend a single night at a Hilton property. Let the basing begin, lol. Actually, I have several million points that will expire unless I use them so I take great pleasure in very long hot showers, washing clothes, and spectacular internet connectivity. As you can see from this picture, I still must maintain a healthy charge on my house battery which powers my refrigerator. I only place my solar panel out during peak hours and store it in the camper at night. Once I install a few panels up top this will no longer be necessary.
image000000(110).jpg

Here is an example of a king suite at a Hampton Inn. Over the years I have leaned a few tricks from other guys much smarter than myself. I call the concierge service and ask what properties are available in the area that use the fewest points. Normally, this ends up being a Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn. I prefer HGI since it includes a made-to-order breakfast whereas HI are cheap continental breakfasts. If something is available for 20k points, I reserve a room and that's that. When I arrive I always ask for a complimentary upgrade to a king suite and nine times out of ten, my wish is granted.
image000000(111).jpg

Here is a SpaceX photo of Starship, stacked and prepared to launch. That's Ship 24 up top and Super Heavy Booster 07 down below. Folks, if you are anywhere near Brownsville, Texas, and desire to see history taking place, I would encourage you to make your way down here. This really is big news considering this is the largest rocket that has ever lifted off the surface of our Earth. Technically, I am not sure that a larger one is possible - this is pushing the limits and pressing the edge of the envelope. Launch has been targeted for 17 April 2023 but keep in mind, anything is possible. This is the first launch of a vehicle this large and there is always the possibility of a delay.
images-4.jpg

ramblinChet

Here are some cool folks I met while camping on Boca Chica Beach in Texas waiting for the SpaceX Starship launch. I don't know about you but I think these old vans are pretty cool. The white was manufactured on a Ford E250 chassis while the blue was built on an E350. Both vans were dirt cheap and in fairly good condition considering their age. The best thing is they are easy to work on and parts are abundant.
image000000(115).jpg

Yeah, I am a space geek, I admit it. Here was a shot taken in the Rocket Garden at night with one ship being prepared to be lifted by a beautiful Liebherr Crawler Crane. Production is moving at a very fast pace down here at SpaceX in Boca Chica Beach, Texas.
image000000(114).jpg

Oh yeah, Ship 24 stacked on top of Super Heavy Booster 07. Note the sun burning hot down below - it's going to be warm down there come Monday when thirty-three SpaceX Raptor liquid methane and liquid oxygen engines light off. Word just came through that the FAA has approved the launch license so it looks like we are go for Monday morning!!!
image000000(120).jpg

Here is a shot from south of the Orbital Launch Tower. Is anyone able to spot Starhopper in the photo?
image000000(121).jpg

Just in case you ever need to check the tide charts at Boca Chica Beach, make sure to include "Texas." Unbeknownst to me, there is also a Boca Chica Beach in the Dominican Republic. In case you are wondering, I remained camping where I was.
image000000(117).jpg

Solar power - some early lessons learned. On a normal sunny day this time of year in Texas, my solar system routinely pulls down 50-60 amp hours. On overcast days it seems 10-20 Ah are still generated. There have been a few rainy days where I have seen 5-10 Ah from my system. I am continuing to track results but we must also consider geographic location and time of year.
image000000(122).jpg

What I love about my system is pulling in 14.4 Vdc for hours at a time during the day. I am still planning to add one or two permanent panels to my roof while keeping this portable system as a secondary option when I park in the shade.
image000000(116).jpg

Prior to owning this solar suitcase I never put that much though into the conditions the system would encounter. Camping on the beach at high tide made me happy that the MC4 connectors were IP67 rated.
image000000(118).jpg

The rainbow symbolizes many things to many people. When I witness a rainbow I smile to recall the original meaning of the rainbow as spoken in Genesis 9:8-17. If you look closely off to the right you can begin to see another secondary rainbow forming which is twice as wide and has the colors reversed. What a beautiful sight to behold!
image000000(112).jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

OK men - quick update for today since tomorrow is a very important day. Set your alarms for 0730 EST and log in to the link down below.

This was an interesting opportunity to compare the advancement in transportation that has taken place over four millennia. Yes, man was walking prior to that although it was approximately 2,000 BC that horses began to become domesticated. It was around 1,800 AD when trains came about and then around 1,900 AD for automobiles and shortly thereafter, aircraft. Fifty years later and we began to launch vehicles into outer space. Now we are at a point where we are beginning to launch the largest possible vehicles from earth considering the limitations of materials and propulsion. SpaceX Starship is adding another dimension since they are producing reusable rocket platforms. Can you image the cost of travel if a horse, automobile, or aircraft were only useful for a single trip!?!
image000000(123).jpg

When I travel I enjoy meeting other adventurers to share stories and observe their creations. The owner below had an interesting problem to solve related to deploying his 270° awning at the proper height. He purchased some off-the-shelf parts and built an electrically operated adjustable mount for his awning. Very cool!
Untitled asd.jpg

Nathan from Tennessee pulled up on the beach nearby after dark and as the sun rose the next morning the smiles and talking began. As you can see, he drives a diesel RAM 3500 and pulls a Patriot Camper X1 which is an amazing tow behind from Australia.
image000000(125).jpg

This is the first time camping at a beach with wind so packing up was slightly challenging with the wind blowing in the wrong direction.
image000000(124).jpg

Once the top was packed and covered the rest is quite easy. Here is another example of an awning with adjustable height - this one uses gas charged struts. These camper are nothing short of amazing - every single item had it's place and all were able to compact into a very small and rugged chassis.
image000000(126).jpg

If anyone here is interested in a great show I would suggest setting your alarm for 0700 EST on Monday, 16 April. Wake up and tune in to the live broadcast below. If you are within a few hundred miles, jump in your vehicle and meet us down here, this is going to be one heck of a show:

ramblinChet

Short update from South Padre Island: This guy made a poor decision - driving a two-wheel drive truck on the beach during high tide, with reverse gear not working. I considered packing my gear up to drive down the beach a mile and help him although another helpful person showed up and he was rescued.
image000000(130).jpg

Launch has been rescheduled for 0828 CST on 20 April 2023. Below is the live link:

ramblinChet

Here is me risking it a bit and driving out into the middle of a tidal bay during low tide. I noticed a few high spots like this a few hundred yards out and decided to walk out and take a look. The sand felt firm and there were tracks from others in a bit closer so I decided to take a chance and drive out to the farthest one through mostly 6-12" deep water. This single picture is my reward.
image000000(131).jpg

With this hedonistic crowd I am not sure a picture like this even requires any explanation. Me, I always enjoy observing natural beauty and my AEV Prospector / Four Wheel Camper combo takes me to the most beautiful places. Truthfully, I am part space geek and some locals led me to believe a flying saucer had crashed out on this remote beach. My bad luck ;)
image000000(132).jpg

Here are some brackish tidal flats on South Bay near Boca Chica Beach with SpaceX Starbase in the background. This is the morning following the successful launch of Starship so if you look very closely off to the right of Starbase you will see the Orbital Launch Tower with the chopsticks open and not ship in place. Since I explore in 2wd when I experience loss of traction in situations such as this it is ver easy to select 4wd and depart.
image000000(133).jpg

Recently I spent the night at La Sal del Ray, a 530-acre salt lake which sits atop four million tons of salt. It was nice to sleep alone in the wilderness being sung to sleep by a symphony of unusual birds. In the morning I awoke to the snuffling and snorting from a pack of javelina hogs. I also enjoyed walking for around an hour in this hypersaline lake only a few inches deep.
image000000(134).jpg

This is where I parked while visiting Lake La Sal del Ray. Since camping was not permitted at this remote site I decided to practice astrophotography and occasionally verify the light integrity of my eyelids with timed tests throughout the night.
image000000(135).jpg

Boot Hill Cemetery in Texas where many of the interned "died with their boots on." One man died in a gunfight in Fort Ewell, another during a gun battle in front of Old Rock Store. This is a small stagecoach stop between San Antonio and Laredo. Maybe I'm a bit of a cowboy too.
image000000(136).jpg

The Our Lady of Guadalupe grotto outside Saint Stanislaus Catholic Church in Bandera, TX. This church and community was formed in the mid-1800s by Polish immigrants who arrived to work in a sawmill to produce cedar shingles harvested from nearby trees. Bandera is a beautiful small town and is not considered the "Cowboy Capital of the World."
image000000(137).jpg

While waling through Bandera on a cool Texas evening I came upon this colorful house. If you enjoy walking amidst dozens of deer this is a place for you. While walking on the outskirts of town there were so many deer I stopped counting. Several times I walked within ten feet of deer grazing on the side of the road. Bandera is also home to the famous honkytonk bar Arkey Blue's Silver Dollar Saloon. If that's not enough for you this is a prime location for many eclipses!
image000000(138).jpg

Just a few miles west of Bandera I found a place to settle down for the night near Indian Creek. It was a crystal clear night and I wanted to experiment more with astrophotography. During one of my attempts another vehicle pulled into the area and remained for a few moments. You can see the white slash down the side of my AEV Prospector from the headlights pulling in along with the red illumination of the grass from the taillights. It's funny sometimes how the unexpected turns out to be quite nice.
image000000(139).jpg

ramblinChet

Wandering north and passing just east of San Antonio I landed in Fredericksburg, Texas. While exploring this small town I stumbled upon our National Museum of the Pacific War. Maybe I am just a bit critical of things but modernist architecture is just ugly. All the glass, steel, and concrete in straight lines with no texture or substance. Compare the modernist psychobabble to even machines of yesteryear. In the center of this photograph is the fairwater (sail) of the USS Pintado (SS-387). Behind and off to the left of the picture we can see the main mast of the destroyer USS Foote (DD-511). Bring back the beauty!
image000000(143).jpg

Wow, I was quite amazed to find a Japanese aircraft I had really not known about in the center of Texas. This is a Kawanishi NK1 floatplane that was called Kyofu, or "strong wind," by the Japanese. If you meet a person and their nickname is Kyofu, you have been warned.
image000000(144).jpg

This looks life-size and real because it is. Just a few blocks down from the museum is an outdoor exhibit called the Pacific Combat Zone. On the property is an amphitheater and from what I understand, four or more times each year they perform reenactments with volunteers who dress up and use blank-firing firearms. I will be keeping an eye open for a future performance.
image000000(146).jpg

Here is a painting by Frank Fujita titled "Common Place Beatings," on display in the museum. Frank was an American soldier who was captured and spent three-plus years as an American POW under the Japanese. Torture of another human is inexcusable.
image000000(149).jpg

This was a very interesting display of a Japanese Aichi D3A2 dive bomber. These carrier based bombers were used during the Imperial Japanese Navy's attack on Pearl Harbor. For some unknown reason a net was hung in front of the display which only served as a distraction.
image000000(150).jpg

Here is a scale model of "Fat Man," the nuclear bomb our brave airmen detonated over the city of Nagasaki murdering tens-of-thousands of civilians. Murder is always inexcusable.
image000000(145).jpg

This is a Garden of Peace, a replica of Japanese Marshal-Admiral Marquis Tōgō Heihachirō's garden, that was a gift from the Japanese people to the people of these United States. If you read up on history you will discover that Admiral Chester W. Nimitz was born here in Fredericksburg, Texas. Admiral Nimitz was the Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet and Pacific Ocean Areas, throughout World War II. This is the reason the museum is located here. If you dive even deeper into history you will discover the mutual respect and friendship the Admirals had for each other.
image000000(147).jpg

Sometimes I camp in vacant lots across from big stores in small towns. It's not always the most beautiful of places although a warm dry bed and a refrigerator full of food and drink goes a long way to make things so much better.
image000000(148).jpg

We began with an example of an ugly building. Let's close with a beautiful one built by men with simple hand tools nearly two hundred years ago. This is a small sample of the stained glass in St. Stanislaus RC church back in Bandera, Texas. The picture may appear to be pretty but to be there in person and to feel the warm colors pouring through these masterpieces - amazing!
image000000(142).jpg

Yes, it gets even better. Just take a moment to study this beautiful presbyterium in St. Stanislaus. The painting is of the Coronation of the Blessed Mother as Queen of Heaven and Earth This is art, this is beauty, this is eternal!
image000000(141).jpg

Last edited:

Kingsize24

The Nimitz museum is absolutely fantastic. It's one of the best I've ever been too. Did you happen to walk down the street to the second section of the museum? With the aquatic pieces? It's an unbelievable amount of history they have packed in that area. I have been through that museum probably 4 times now. And find new things every time I go of interest.

ramblinChet

The Nimitz museum is absolutely fantastic. It's one of the best I've ever been too. Did you happen to walk down the street to the second section of the museum? With the aquatic pieces? It's an unbelievable amount of history they have packed in that area. I have been through that museum probably 4 times now. And find new things every time I go of interest.

I agree - what a treasure right in the center of Texas. And yes, also visited the Pacific Combat Zone with the amphibious vehicles. Reference the pictures above. My plan is to visit again to catch one of the live shows.

ramblinChet

This past week I completed the Texas Hill Country Overland Route which begins in Fredericksburg, Texas, passes through Mason, and ends a few miles south of Kingsland. It is reported to be just shy of 200 miles although I included some of the options loops and ended up right at 300 miles. Many complain that "it is all paved road" and that simply is not true. I would estimate the trip was around 50/50 and was broken up. All that being said, it was a wonderful trip and if you enjoy cattle guards and river crossings, this one is for you.
image000000(151).jpg

Here is an example of one of the hundred or so cattle guards I crossed.
image000000(152).jpg

There are many beautiful spots along the trail so stop and relax, enjoy lunch, etc.
image000000(153).jpg

Here I am dropping down into a water crossing on the James River. Out of the dozens of water crossings it seemed like the majority were dry, many were just a small puddle or an inch deep, and a few were deeper and wider. The deepest water crossing I encountered was under one foot deep although all of this can change quickly due to the season and weather.
image000000(154).jpg

It is always interesting to see beauty such as this in the midst of rock and cacti. This photograph was taken during an early morning walk. Later in my trip I drive through endless fields of yellow, red, and occasionally purple flowers.
image000000(155).jpg

Here I am camping on the shore of the James River. This turned out to be an amazing spot where I camped for a few days. With the exception of a ranch hand running between properties a few times each day, the only other traffic passing through could be measured on one hand each day. This was a quiet and peaceful place.
image000000(157).jpg

Same location, different day. If you are passing through I would recommend stopping to relax for at least a day or two.
image000000(156).jpg

This cow had some extra legs underneath which explained why she was not quick to move. Keep in mind that most property in Texas is privately owned and you are passing through ranch after ranch with free range cattle everywhere.
image000000(158).jpg

Here is the deepest and longest water crossing I encountered. The bottom was firm and a bit slippery although it was easy just to pass through slowly in 2WD.
image000000(159).jpg

Early morning just south of Mason, Texas, sleeping on a bed of river rock in the middle of the Llano River. Yeah, the Texas Hill Country Overland Route was wonderful and I would do it again.
image000000(160).jpg

ramblinChet

@Kingsize24 asked for me to share the GPX and KMZ file data detailing the route which is a great idea, thank you Kingsize24 for your suggestion!

I originally found the information on Overland Trail Guides where you can sign up for free and download digital mapping files. Some are free while others cost a few dollars.

Here are a few additional pictures I snapped along the way:

This is the Seaquist (Sjokvist) House in Mason, Texas.
image000000(161).jpg

This is the Castell General Store which serves amazing 1/2-pound burgers. As you might imagine, in a town with one-hundred residents, it's a special sort of place and everyone is friendly.
image000000(163).jpg

Although you are unable to read the tombstones or crosses in this picture I will share some of what has been buried here: All My Exes, the Democratic Party, Poverty, Blame, the False Doctrines (1935-1966), etc. I am really beginning to love Texas!!!
image000000(162).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach