2023 UEV-14

ROA-OFFROAD

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Has anyone wired in a DCDC charger to their UEV-14 (USA)?

Does the Anderson plug on the tongue go directly to the Anderson plug labelled 'DCDC' in the space behind the control panel?

If so, what's the purpose of the Anderson plug inside the pull-out kitchen storage area?

Anderson plug in the pull out kitchen is used for fridges. Australian/ SA units dont use 12v plugs the same way we do. They use anderson plugs. Which, are much better for off roading because they dont come loose while off roading. There should be an anderson plug in the front of your trailer as well that you can use for charging your batteries either via anderson plug from the truck or from a solar panel with a built in solar controller. We have had several people do the DC-DC connections, not sure if anyone has done it on the UEV14 yet though.

Anderson plug in the pull out kitchen is used for fridges. Australian/ SA units dont use 12v plugs the same way we do. They use anderson plugs. Which, are much better for off roading because they dont come loose while off roading. There should be an anderson plug in the front of your trailer as well that you can use for charging your batteries either via anderson plug from the truck or from a solar panel with a built in solar controller. We have had several people do the DC-DC connections, not sure if anyone has done it on the UEV14 yet though.
With the control panel unscrewed inside the camper, I can see an Anderson connector labeled "DC-DC" plugged into the back of it. Is the DC-DC charger installed in between this connection? But is it best to position the charger as close to the battery bank as possible? In other words, installing the charger in the space behind the control panel is not the best place, correct?

The manual for the Renogy 40A DC-DC charger lists 4 awg wire for the run from the tow vehicle battery to the trailer battery bank. However, the gauge wire used by Conqueror from the tongue to the back of the control panel is smaller, maybe 10 awg. Should I bother replacing it with 4 awg?

Thanks!

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

With the control panel unscrewed inside the camper, I can see an Anderson connector labeled "DC-DC" plugged into the back of it. Is the DC-DC charger installed in between this connection? But is it best to position the charger as close to the battery bank as possible? In other words, installing the charger in the space behind the control panel is not the best place, correct?

The manual for the Renogy 40A DC-DC charger lists 4 awg wire for the run from the tow vehicle battery to the trailer battery bank. However, the gauge wire used by Conqueror from the tongue to the back of the control panel is smaller, maybe 10 awg. Should I bother replacing it with 4 awg?

Thanks!

I have been told that some tow vehicles have issues with DC-DC charges that are 30amp or more. I have no idea if this is the case with your trailer, tow vehicle and Renogy charger but it maybe worth some research. I will confirm this with my solar guru.

I have been told that some tow vehicles have issues with DC-DC charges that are 30amp or more. I have no idea if this is the case with your trailer, tow vehicle and Renogy charger but it maybe worth some research. I will confirm this with my solar guru.

Maybe you have already considered this:

Maybe you have already considered this:

Thanks for the link @Obsessed2findARuggedHybid.

Yossarian22

Hey folks, I also wanted to revive this conversation as I am looking at this UEV-14. I stated another thread just asking folks which trailer they liked or thought would fit based on my needs.

I still like this one but all the negative feedback gives me pause. However, a couple of things keep nagging at me.

1. There seems to be complaint with literally all of these as some point and often pointing to quality and china. The only ones folks are not complaining about are the ones that are not hear yet.
2. The folks at ROA seem nice, but I think one needs to take their evaluation with a grain of salt given how much they touted this and the dweller and then before that the black series.
3. I think folks discount how hard it is to expand internationally with new products and maintain quality. As long as a company can help and stand behind their stuff, I would think they will be good long term.

Lastly, warranty - I feel like we have very strong consumer protection laws here in the us. Yes it’s a pain to buy something and have issues but I don’t think I would rely on a dealer vs deal with the manufacturer who owns the obligation.

So am I crazy to buy one of these?

Thanks

Hey folks, I also wanted to revive this conversation as I am looking at this UEV-14. I stated another thread just asking folks which trailer they liked or thought would fit based on my needs.

I still like this one but all the negative feedback gives me pause. However, a couple of things keep nagging at me.

1. There seems to be complaint with literally all of these as some point and often pointing to quality and china. The only ones folks are not complaining about are the ones that are not hear yet.
2. The folks at ROA seem nice, but I think one needs to take their evaluation with a grain of salt given how much they touted this and the dweller and then before that the black series.
3. I think folks discount how hard it is to expand internationally with new products and maintain quality. As long as a company can help and stand behind their stuff, I would think they will be good long term.

Lastly, warranty - I feel like we have very strong consumer protection laws here in the us. Yes it’s a pain to buy something and have issues but I don’t think I would rely on a dealer vs deal with the manufacturer who owns the obligation.

So am I crazy to buy one of these?

Thanks
After 2 years owning our UEV-14 and many miles dragging it off-road, I don't think you are crazy to look at one at all. IIRC, it's about 1000 lbs. lighter than a Dweller of the same size and the layout has been perfect for us. Have I had to make repairs? Yes, on outside latches to the rear pop-out and the slider on the outside kitchen. Then there is the door lock mechanism. Sometimes the door won't lock or it won't open easily due to the latch mechanism. After replacing the lock tumbler ($30 part + $70 shipping from AUS), yesterday I finally realized the problem was the distance from the silver trigger button to the door jam. The suspension and the overall build quality is head and shoulders above any travel trailer we've walked through.

After 2 years owning our UEV-14 and many miles dragging it off-road, I don't think you are crazy to look at one at all. IIRC, it's about 1000 lbs. lighter than a Dweller of the same size and the layout has been perfect for us. Have I had to make repairs? Yes, on outside latches to the rear pop-out and the slider on the outside kitchen. Then there is the door lock mechanism. Sometimes the door won't lock or it won't open easily due to the latch mechanism. After replacing the lock tumbler ($30 part + $70 shipping from AUS), yesterday I finally realized the problem was the distance from the silver trigger button to the door jam. The suspension and the overall build quality is head and shoulders above any travel trailer we've walked through.

Those are very minor issues. Would you feel comfortable buying a new 2024 unit if available from OBI with all thier issues and burning and or loosing most of thier dealers?

Any issues with water intrusion and how does it do in cold weather?

Any issues with water intrusion and how does it do in cold weather?
Yes, actually. I forgot about a leak around the skylight over the dinette. I finally tracked it to an incomplete caulking job around the gland on the roof for the entry for the solar panel wiring. I also renewed the caulking around the skylight and bathroom vent. So far so good.

We've camped in a few subfreezing conditions and with the roof down, we stay nice and cozy with the excellent heater system. With the roof up, we stay comfortable with a higher thermostat setting. I wouldn't say this trailer is a 4 season camper, but with a few modifications, it works for us down to the teens for a few days/nights. I've added bubble wrap reflective insulation around all water tanks and wrapped all outside water and drain lines. Finally I added insulation board under the cloth wrap of the two side panels on the rear pop-out.

Our only complaint is that the length of the awning doesn't completely cover the slide-out kitchen.

Those are very minor issues. Would you feel comfortable buying a new 2024 unit if available from OBI with all thier issues and burning and or loosing most of thier dealers?
ROA has been great in supporting us with our trailer. Without the them, my ability to work on the trailer myself, and what I know about OBI, I honestly wouldn't have bought new.

Are new UEV-14s even available in the USA anymore?

I didn't see them on thier website but I believe Yossarian22 mentioned they do or will have 2024 14's. IMHO I think anyone buying an OBI trailer best plan on being on thier own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk