2024 Land Cruiser in the USA?

NoDak

Then it's not a full floater if it's a C-clip axle....all the full floaters I am familiar with have the hub with bolts on the outside to remove axle:

View attachment 810598
That’s my idea of a full floater as well. The new jeep axle is nothing like a conventional full floater. You have to remove the tire and the unit bearing and brakes to get the axle out.

XJLI

Adventurer
I don't think they'd be able to fit the appropriate sized wheel bearings and a hub and fit it in a 5x5 bolt pattern if they did it the conventional way. The solid Rover axles are the smallest full floaters I've seen and the bolt pattern is a 5 lug but almost Mitsu Fuso sized.

nickw

Adventurer
I don't think they'd be able to fit the appropriate sized wheel bearings and a hub and fit it in a 5x5 bolt pattern if they did it the conventional way. The solid Rover axles are the smallest full floaters I've seen and the bolt pattern is a 5 lug but almost Mitsu Fuso sized.
Good point about bolt pattern - probably right.

I'd say it offer part of the benefits as a traditional FF axle but is a hybrid type design....bolting to axle housing, unit bearings vs roller bearings, disassemble wheel/brake/carrier plate to replace axle....less about field repair and more about a broken axle shaft not ruining your day.

XJLI

Adventurer
Good point about bolt pattern - probably right.

I'd say it offer part of the benefits as a traditional FF axle but is a hybrid type design....bolting to axle housing, unit bearings vs roller bearings, disassemble wheel/brake/carrier plate to replace axle....less about field repair and more about a broken axle shaft not ruining your day

It definitely increases the axle’s load carrying, and I’m sure they didn’t want dealers charging $3500 in labor for rear rotor replacement if it was a conventional style. Not to mention training all the techs how to properly pack a bearing… lol

nickw

Adventurer
It definitely increases the axle’s load carrying, and I’m sure they didn’t want dealers charging $3500 in labor for rear rotor replacement if it was a conventional style. Not to mention training all the techs how to properly pack a bearing… lol
It may be semantics but it seems like a way to increase load carrying capacity using current axle architecture but there are certainly SF axles that carry much more weight than this, like the LC200/300 and all the 1/2T pickups out there. Did the payload capacity actually increase on these rigs?

Not sure I follow your $3500 comment....

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
It may be semantics but it seems like a way to increase load carrying capacity using current axle architecture but there are certainly SF axles that carry much more weight than this, like the LC200/300 and all the 1/2T pickups out there. Did the payload capacity actually increase on these rigs?

Not sure I follow your $3500 comment....
Maybe it’s shock load from people putting 37s on and having them slip and grab? I agree the payload doesn’t appear to be rated any different

Sid Post

Observer
Are you suggesting those are all harder on a FF axle? Again - not tracking with your logic....or @XJLI

Try taking it to a Pep Boys or similar chain auto repair shop and see what their response is if it needs work!

My concern is finding a mechanic that can or would work on a FF axle if it was broken and needed repairs. Sure a good 4x4 Shop that is NOT brand locked would do fine with it but, a dealership or chain is unlikely to have someone that is capable of doing a proper repair.

My local off-road shop is great if you own a Jeep but, they will NOT TOUCH a 4x4 of any different flavor. That leaves me with working with the one Independent mechanic locally that does good work. 100's of miles away from home, how do I find someone to fix a FF axle that is 'broken'?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Try taking it to a Pep Boys or similar chain auto repair shop and see what their response is if it needs work!

My concern is finding a mechanic that can or would work on a FF axle if it was broken and needed repairs. Sure a good 4x4 Shop that is NOT brand locked would do fine with it but, a dealership or chain is unlikely to have someone that is capable of doing a proper repair.

My local off-road shop is great if you own a Jeep but, they will NOT TOUCH a 4x4 of any different flavor. That leaves me with working with the one Independent mechanic locally that does good work. 100's of miles away from home, how do I find someone to fix a FF axle that is 'broken'?
Doesn’t this same logic follow for a standard axle?

NoDak

The conventional FF axles make much of this conversation non issue because they are so easy to work on. Anyone should be able to change an axle shaft, bearing or brakes in the driveway with basic hand tools.

NoDak

If a 4x4 shop wouldn’t touch a FF axle of any make or know how to work on one I wouldn’t let them touch anything else on my truck. You don’t need to lift the vehicle or even remove the wheel to fix a broken shaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach