2024 or 2025 GMC 2500 doublecab long bed (8'bed) 6.6 gas V-8, any reason i shouldn't get one?

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Why Ford? 48 gallon fuel tank, SFA. I sure do wish they would use the Allison transmission, you can’t go wrong with that. But just get the 3500 and have no regrets.
Not even GM uses an actual "Allison" transmission anymore. When GM went to their new 10 speed heavy-duty transmission they built their own - and slapped an Allison sticker on it, under an agreement with Allison. But Allison doesn't build that 10 speed.

That being said, I've not seen anything but pretty good reviews of both the new GM and Ford heavy-duty 10 speed transmissions. They seem to be holding up well. So far, Ram is sticking with the Aisin 6 speed in their heavy duty trucks.

rruff

Explorer
My wife drove it some and it's nerve racking as hell, several times I had to scream "STOP" because seemingly the entire vehicle from behind her head doesn't even exist!
Ha! 🤣 I can relate... Yes, she'll get better with practice. Hopefully your truck will survive that. :eek: Women tend to have inferior spacial awareness due to many millenia of specialization, but they can make up for it through experience and being careful.

Rams have the best running radius. My Ford and Chevy long beds have been atrocious. And the Chevy droopy frame. Yuck.
The model Tundra I have is quite a bit better than the Ram; 24.5' for the DC 8', vs 26.7'... though only a 1/2 ton of course.

Turning radius might be a good reason to bump all the way up to a 4-5 series truck, which are much better in this respect. Then the OP could get super singles, an articulating bed with external storage, and a much bigger camper. The only downside is a few extra $$$, but well spent IMO. Pretty much everybody's wife and family would be happier!

CCH

Adventurer
I have a 2022 double cab short bed and can tell you that turning radius is an issue. Otherwise the truck has been great. Huge payload and tows great. Lots of torque down low unlike the 6.0. Don’t have the Allison, so no comment on that. If you get one, the front cameras are not a luxury. I really wish I had them. Trying to see over that hood on anything remotely rough is a pain.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Not even GM uses an actual "Allison" transmission anymore. When GM went to their new 10 speed heavy-duty transmission they built their own - and slapped an Allison sticker on it, under an agreement with Allison. But Allison doesn't build that 10 speed.

That being said, I've not seen anything but pretty good reviews of both the new GM and Ford heavy-duty 10 speed transmissions. They seem to be holding up well. So far, Ram is sticking with the Aisin 6 speed in their heavy duty trucks.
I'd go 10 spd if possible. I guess for me it came down to towing. The 10 spd and 3:55's in my current truck was a game changer compared to my last truck that had a 6 spd and 3:73's. Tows SOOOO much better. But, I do have to admit the turning radius on my SuperCrew 6.5" bed is atrocious.

My F150 pretty much has the same turning radius as the double cab 8' box 3500 GM the OP is considering.... :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot 2024-07-05 093343.png

Screenshot 2024-07-05 093515.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3