255/85/16's on 3rd gen 4Runners and 1st Gen Tacomas

pcampbell

Adventurer
thanks for the pictueres... I think the 285 are the route I am going since the refund is a bit smaller than expected. I need to own a home again... Anyway, SS1.2 is funded (will purchase when the money is received) and that will have to be it for a while. The BL and other gizmos are goign to have to wait.

That's not too bad of a combo really. I rubbed on the rear mud flap at full stuff and had to slightly trim the plastic at the front of the front wheel well. If you don't have flares/mud flaps, you'll probably not have a problem. I do miss 35s slightly (had them on my 1st gen) but really 285/75/16s really haven't been a liability at all. They are much more driveable with stock gearing too, but I have 4.30s

285/75/16 MTZs with Sonoran Steel 1.2
prototype_3rdgen_bumper_1.jpg

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Thank You for all the posts but I still cant get away from the narrow look. I have never had a problem with 285's and my 295's are great but narrower ...................

A

FlatlandTRD

Observer
On the 80 wheels mine (255s) are just outside the flares. In the first pic the front right is compressing slightly bringing the tire in, so it doesn't really show.

DSC01312.jpg

Sorry I don't have better pics, I can take a pic with the wheels straight/head on if you want.

DSC01323.jpg

CYi5

Explorer
You don't really notice the narrow width on tacos, the flares don't stick out very far. On 4runners with limited flares, however, they do look pretty skinny on a 16x7 4.5 BS. Oldsven's 4runner is a good example of this. Without wheel spacers they look super tucked in, and with wheel spacers they stick out pretty far making the tires look super skinny.

I will be putting a 285/75 A/T on my LC rims next, my .02, having gone through many of these sizes/combos in the past.

shawkins

Adventurer
I have 16x7 with 4" BS rims and 285/75 with limited flares. The tires are just about even with the flare, just very slightly past.

With 255s, the 3.75 would be better IMO.
It just depends on what flares you have. With no flares, 4.5" BS is just about perfect. With my SR5 flares (small black plastic ones, not the chrome strip ones) 4" BS would be perfect.

pcampbell

Adventurer
It just depends on what flares you have. With no flares, 4.5" BS is just about perfect. With my SR5 flares (small black plastic ones, not the chrome strip ones) 4" BS would be perfect.

Absolutely agree. I was pointing about my experience with Limited flares only. Sorry for not being more clear about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3