255/85R16 VS 285/75R16

6gun

Studying new tires for my 1998 Expedition that will take us on a three week/~8-9K mile road/off-road trip this Sep. I currently run a well worn set of Kumho Road Venture AT51 in 285 and in reality, I have always been pretty happy with them but wouldn't mind a little more traction. Neighbor has a Chevy Trail Boss with Duratracs and they are awesome tires but I'm afraid an aggressive all-terrain/mud tire like that in 285 would be a big hit in mileage(currently average 15mpg on hwy).

I'm thinking a narrower 255 would help offset the increased drag of a MT? Am I onto an ideal or do I need to just suck it up and order an all terrain in 285? Right now I'm almost at analysis-paralysis but I'm running out of time!

We will be doing some off-roading in Moab, Rimrock, Alpine loop etc, but nothing real extreme planned. Living in NW GA means that an MT would be welcome traction when adventuring around home base.

All comments, suggestions, brand recommendations and reviews are welcome.

billiebob

I ran the 255/85R16 BFG MTs and loved them. MTs vs ATs, I find the ATs last longer, the MTs wear out maybe 20% sooner.
I too find the skinnier tires get better fuel milage. They also run better on the highway thru puddles and slush.

I have considered the 255s also. My only reservation: if the SHTF and I needed to buy a tire while on a trip they would be tough to find. 285s…everybody stocks some version of that size. Of course, Amazon might be able to deliver one the next day. ?‍♂️

1000arms

Studying new tires for my 1998 Expedition that will take us on a three week/~8-9K mile road/off-road trip this Sep. I currently run a well worn set of Kumho Road Venture AT51 in 285 and in reality, I have always been pretty happy with them but wouldn't mind a little more traction. Neighbor has a Chevy Trail Boss with Duratracs and they are awesome tires but I'm afraid an aggressive all-terrain/mud tire like that in 285 would be a big hit in mileage(currently average 15mpg on hwy).

I'm thinking a narrower 255 would help offset the increased drag of a MT? Am I onto an ideal or do I need to just suck it up and order an all terrain in 285? Right now I'm almost at analysis-paralysis but I'm running out of time!

We will be doing some off-roading in Moab, Rimrock, Alpine loop etc, but nothing real extreme planned. Living in NW GA means that an MT would be welcome traction when adventuring around home base.

All comments, suggestions, brand recommendations and reviews are welcome.
You might look at the 235/85r16 BGGoodrich Commercial TA Traction tires. They are a bit narrower than what you are asking about, but, the overall diameter is 31.6". They were a very common tire size, and I suspect they still are.

6gun

I ran the 255/85R16 BFG MTs and loved them. MTs vs ATs, I find the ATs last longer, the MTs wear out maybe 20% sooner.
I too find the skinnier tires get better fuel milage. They also run better on the highway thru puddles and slush.

BFG "All Terrains" are know as "No Terrains" in N GA, the clay here turns them to drag slicks quickly(then again that's true of almost ANY tire)

I have considered the 255s also. My only reservation: if the SHTF and I needed to buy a tire while on a trip they would be tough to find. 285s…everybody stocks some version of that size. Of course, Amazon might be able to deliver one the next day. ?‍♂️

Looking at the measurement, a 285 should work to get you by a short time. Although you are right, with Amazon on standby a new tire is rarely more than 24hrs away. Couple that with a good spare and it makes me feel much better.

You might look at the 235/85r16 BGGoodrich Commercial TA Traction tires. They are a bit narrower than what you are asking about, but, the overall diameter is 31.6". They were a very common tire size, and I suspect they still are.

I truly wish BFG made their Commercial TA in a 255/85R16 or 285/75R16. I really like Cooper and most other "Commercial Traction" class tires and will be leaning heavily in that direction just due to longevity!

Thanks for the comments!

If you’re considering a commercial/traction tire in the 255 flavor then Mastercraft, a subsidiary of Cooper, makes them in their CXT line. That’s the tire I’ve considered buying.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
255/85 fan here, and agree the Mastercraft or Falken or Toyo are great options. While minimally taller (about 1-1.5”overall), it all helps with your application/wheelbase…

1stDeuce

Explorer
I have run 255's and 285's on my Jeep and my GMC. One set of 285's on each, and now two sets of 255's on each. I really like the 255's, and for my purposes, they work great. Definitely better in snow/slop/heavy rain, and a little better mileage. The Jeep gets 5 new tires every time I buy tires, so it always has a backup tire worn to the same amount in the even I destroy one. The truck has a 265 spare, and it'll work fine if I need it, I'll just run it on the front if I have a long way to go. Changing to a spare tire sucks... I carry a plug kit, and I would much rather plug a tire than change one. :)

FWIW, you might check out the Mastercraft CXT as a great compromise tire. Not a true mud terrain, but a bit more than a typical all terrain. Lots of tires in that category now, but not so many in 255/85R16... Mastercraft tires are made by Cooper in the USA. Prior to these I had 255 ST Maxx's on both vehicles. I actually like the CXT's a little better. They also have a 2 ply carcass instead of the heaver 3 ply of the Maxx's, which some say helps a little with mileage and ride. I've not noticed a difference... :)

Good luck!!

skrypj

I don't think the Duratracs will hurt as bad as you think. I went from a 275/55R20 Bridgestone potenza(basically an all season, they were terrible in the snow) to a 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratrac on my F150 and saw basically zero hit in mpg. I was still averaging 17-18 in the summer and could pull down 21-22 on long 65mph trips with the Dtracs. So if you are already at the 285 width I doubt you will see much difference.

I also just went from a 265/60R18 all season to a 285/70R17 KO2 on my Lexus GX and I probably lost 1 mpg in my daily driving.

6gun

Well, it wasn't what I had planned at all, but I ran across a deal I couldn't pass on a set of new BFG All-Terrains in 295/75R16 So I will be using them to remind myself why I swore them off years ago. If I really can't stand them I'm in them good enough that I can probably even make some extra money getting rid of them.

phsycle

Adventurer
Given same tire brand/model, similar diameter, I have never ever seen better mpg with a skinnier tire. Only thing it did was create issues on loose, off camber trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3