2WD Overland Thread

ITTOG

I've spent that last couple Sundays doing some driving on the Trans America Trail in eastern OK and western AR. It's obviously mostly dirt road with a couple of water crossings here and there. I probably wouldn't attempt Warloop Rd in my 2wd but it was cake in our Jeep or any 4wd for that matter. I did feel the locker working during a couple steep inclines.

I'm now getting some wheel bearing or tire noise, might be time for another hub bearing.

This lift is somewhat appealing with plenty of travel, although plenty spendy (not including shocks) https://cstsuspension.com/99-2007-c...999-2007-1500-2wd-pickup-crew-cab-7-inch.html

My truck is fine for the TAT but at this point I'd have more fun looking for trouble in something 4x4 that I don't care about banging up.
Where in OK do you get on the TAT.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

rho

Lost again
Getting ready to do some more stuff to the partners truck... I'm opting to swap out the other LCA and while I have that apart also replace the spindles with some RC or CSA lift spindles to bump the front up a little bit more. I'm still not sure what to do with the rear, but I'm thinking about just rebuilding the spring pack, adding two leafs to each one and ditching the overload leafs, then adding some longer shackles for the rear (which will lower it, but depending on what the height looks like from the leafs, I think i'll get where I want) to try to get some more down travel from the rear and to soften up the ride and increase articulation.

The truck doesn't really ever get used as a truck to haul or tow but does see a lot of time on terrible backcountry roads so getting the ride quality better with more ground clearance is the main goal. I'm still talking with my partner about what to do for the rear as it had a hard bed cover and one of our goals is to make it so we can sleep in the back... We have a bedslide in it so I think doing elevated platform, keeping the bed slide and putting a soft-topper its starting to seem like a workable plan.

The front two tires are getting really worn and are having trouble keeping air pressure so I'm going to do tires on it soon (and an alignment). I'm not sure what tire I want to go with or what size but the truck has stock 16" rims and P-rated 255/somethings and I think a C or D rated 32" or 265/75/16 would be about right for what we use this truck for and a tiny bit more clearance. I run E's on my JKU and it rides fine, so Im not concerned there. Just... lots of choices. LOL

Question for y'all in 2WD land, what tires have you liked and work well for dirt and fire road duty?

Mr. Merk

Had some fun climbing a partially snow covered, washed out trail yesterday. Wish I had some video of my lowered 2wd truck flexed and stuffing the tires. haha

Mr. Merk

Had some fun climbing a partially snow covered, washed out trail yesterday. Wish I had some video of my lowered 2wd truck flexed and stuffing the tires. haha

Recently went back DOWN the same hill with my wife. She said "uh, I don't think you should be driving your truck down this." I told her it had no problem coming UP it in the snow months before!

A while back we were ripping around some back roads and bonked a large pothole pretty hard. Knocked my original 160k mile hub loose which gradually got louder and louder before I finally replaced it along with the Power Stop Z36 front brake kit (highly recommended.)

Mr. Merk

The front two tires are getting really worn and are having trouble keeping air pressure so I'm going to do tires on it soon (and an alignment). I'm not sure what tire I want to go with or what size but the truck has stock 16" rims and P-rated 255/somethings and I think a C or D rated 32" or 265/75/16 would be about right for what we use this truck for and a tiny bit more clearance. I run E's on my JKU and it rides fine, so Im not concerned there. Just... lots of choices. LOL

Question for y'all in 2WD land, what tires have you liked and work well for dirt and fire road duty?

What did you end up putting on the truck?

I'm looking for some 18's we can use on the Cayenne for an upcoming Colorado adventure. It can fit 265/65R18 and I've run the same size on my GMT800 in the past. So I could swap a set of K02s between vehicles if I wanted to. We have a lot of things laying around that can be used on either vehicle and I like having those options.

rruff

Explorer
If not already obvious, I'm strongly considering a 2WD rig right now as the rockcrawling days are over for me and want to keep thing simple and use money for getting out rather than outfitting a rig thats potentially more than it needs to be.

I did fine for many years in a 2WD Toyota truck. I liked to so well I almost went with a 2WD Frontier for my new rig, since they are so cheap. 5spd manual, 4cyl. Was planning on a mild lift, bigger tires and a regear. 4WD is a luxury nearly all the time. It extends where you can go slightly, but 2WD is fine for getting away from the crowds.

rho

Lost again
What did you end up putting on the truck?

I'm looking for some 18's we can use on the Cayenne for an upcoming Colorado adventure. It can fit 265/65R18 and I've run the same size on my GMT800 in the past. So I could swap a set of K02s between vehicles if I wanted to. We have a lot of things laying around that can be used on either vehicle and I like having those options.

Hey! We ended up putting some 285/75r16 Falken AT3W's on it about 3mo ago and they've been awesome so far! We had the truck out on its first dirt adventure this weekend and it did fantastic. Amazing what a V8, lower gears and a locker can do, heh. We ran into some issues with the front end unloading and topping out its travel somewhat violently so thats next to tweak, it really did suprisingly well on some narrow, steep and washed out fire roads.

Downside is that now my partner wants a new front bumper for the beastie as it was scraping a bit because of the awful approach angle on the stock one... Oi. Never ends!

Partner and kiddo!

rho

Lost again
Wow those look beefy! The front bumper does hang (mine barely clears curbs at sock height) but man the GMC bumper looks SO MUCH better than a Chevy bumper, so I'd hate to get rid of it if I was in your shoes. But if it breaks its time to upgrade!

Yeah, it looks a lot better than the Chevy one. I've thought about maybe doing a tube-thing with a skid under the factory metal bumper and getting rid of the plastic and re-locating the fog lights, but who knows. Approach angle on the front tires is our biggest problem right now to solve.

Mr. Merk

Yeah, it looks a lot better than the Chevy one. I've thought about maybe doing a tube-thing with a skid under the factory metal bumper and getting rid of the plastic and re-locating the fog lights, but who knows. Approach angle on the front tires is our biggest problem right now to solve.

That's a great idea! I can't believe that hasn't been marketed yet.

rho

Lost again
That's a great idea! I can't believe that hasn't been marketed yet.

I'd bet there just isn't enough of a market for it when a lot of the go-fast desert people just rip it off and do a super simple tube bumper. Which honestly might be the best solution here as well, but who knows. Gotta look at options, of which there are few....

dirtnsmores

I just read through everything here. What a great thread. I'm always trying to change my mind back and forth if I want to trade it in for a four-wheel drive or not. But right now my 2wd Tacoma does pretty darn good. Traction boards have got me out of deep sand. Definitely invest in them. And a good air compressor.

1x1_Speed_Craig

I just read through everything here. What a great thread. I'm always trying to change my mind back and forth if I want to trade it in for a four-wheel drive or not. But right now my 2wd Tacoma does pretty darn good. Traction boards have got me out of deep sand. Definitely invest in them. And a good air compressor.

I have zero second thoughts about sticking with my 2WD 2019 Ford Transit. We bought for longer-term travel, and I'm glad we bought it when we did. So many people were clamoring for the new AWD Transit, or getting their 2WD Transits converted to 4WD. Not us. I'll continue to refine & equip our 2WD for travel/sleeping, and it'll serve double-duty as a BOV (yes, I'm a "prepper type"). The honest truth is that we won't need 4WD 95-99% of the time (I have owned a LOT of Jeeps in the past, so it's not like I haven't driven 4WD vehicles).

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob