300k miles on a E350 7.3, would you buy?

Abitibi

Explorer
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a '99-03 E350 with the 7.3L
The one I'm currently looking at is an ex-CocaCola delivery van, recent service includes new injectors, glow plugs, fuel pump (mechanical) and rebuilt tranny.
It's got 290,000 miles. I know these are amazing engines but is it getting too high? She's not cheap but she's 4x4 and comes with a Ujoint 4" lift, full floating axle, newer axles...

The van will quickly get converted to run on veggie like the rest of my trucks.

Any inputs would be great!

Cheers,
Mr. D

78Bronco

Explorer
The engine is just broken in and the tranny has been rebuilt by whom and at what cost? Receipts?

If it has been maintained well I would consider it.

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks for quicky reply.

Tranny has been rebuilt by local shop, vendor has receipt but I need to ask how much for the work and what was done to tranny. No receipt for axles, transfer case which came from a low mileage donor truck, axles were looked at but no work needed aside from seals???

I'm just not used with such high mileage vehicles, my 1993 Nissan Patrol only has 70k miles...

Thanks again!

Mr. D

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
A 4x4 conversion Coke delivery van!!! I didn't know the weather/terrain was that hardcore in BC. Or was it converted after being bought from Coke?

With the 4x4 straight axle conversion the POS death trap independant front suspension cica: 1960 with fake hollow shocks and dismal soft springs and sway bars is long gone. So it won't have that problem, hopefully.

I'd pass if it's a whale tail version with that terrible rear overhand that makes the Van really hard to control in wind or passing semis. If it's a short body, then you're good there.

So if you can make do with the fact that it has no absolutely zero legroom and you have to sit crooked in it. (The drivers side floor is about the size of one of my boots) and that you really can't reach the engine......then go for it. But make a low ball offer, no reason to pay truck prices for a lowly van. (I hated my van to the point I actually considered suicide)

I think the new style 2008 headlights will fit the older models as well. I don't think those vans have changed much since the 80's. (I go to that Ohio van plant twice a year, it's so sad to see all those awsome 5.4L and 6.8L crying in a line at the thought of being stuck in a van instead of a truck for thier entire life. Ford should use stinky chinese engines in their vans, why waste a perfectly good engine?)

Abitibi

Explorer
Sounds like I'm a sucker for punishment! ;-) but I'm not a big guy so hopefully I can live with the small front cab...
I have an amazing truck right now but I really miss my old camping vans and now that I have two young kids following me on my outings that SUV is getting pretty tight. I have to admit, that big engine cramped into that small bay freaks me out a bit...

The van has been converted after its life as a working van using Ujoint kit less than a year ago...

Thanks for the inputs!

Cheers,
Mr. D

nely

Adventurer
My 1996 van had 403k miles, and 1997 is @ 301k. I owned both for over 20k miles each. They never missed a beat, with only an alternator, water pump failure and regular maintenance. If there are recipts to backup the injectors, trans and such, then id say go for it.

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks!

I was getting ready to jump on a plane to go get this nice van but I just can't chase my desire to get an ambulance as a platform to build my next expo truck. His price is pretty decent considering all the work done and from all the info gathered the high mileage doesn't sound like a big concern.

I'm still very tempted and might go ahead if its not sold in the next little while but right now I'm gathering all I can about what's involved, the cost, labour and benefit at the end of the day between these two platforms. I currently have an amazing truck (Nissan Patrol) but with two young boys insisting on tagging along whenever I head out :1888fbbd: I need more room... The extended body is nice but the extra height and width of the ambulance cargo area is very hard to beat (both E350).

I can get a 2002 ambulance with the 7.3 under 175k miles for between $4000-6000... Tempting isn't it!?!
image.jpg
Add a lift and 4x4 drivetrain, custom interior, typical expo mods and its still a very achievable goal.

Dilemma...

Cheers
Mr. D

Abitibi

Explorer
$18,000 negotiable.

Now if I reveal too much info on this van it might sell by the time I decide to get it! ;-)

lllateralus

Observer
Yikes.. the van is awesome. BUT.. 18k is way too much money for that van with over 300K miles. (like.. 5k or 6K too much in my opinion)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater