33 x 10.50 safety...???

Well I want people to chime in on this one. I have an 05 Tj that i am trying to turn into mainly an expedition rig. Well in looking at lifts I spoke to Dirk at DPG off road and he seems to be a great guy. In speaking with him about an OME 2" lift he asked why I would want to run a 10.50 tire. Well after explaining my side of weight saving, fuel savings, and traction/footprint being related to height more than with and also noting the GVW factor he told me that i was completely wrong. And that my jeep would be unsafe doing a 2.5" lift and Skinnies on a stock wheel. He said that my risk of rollover was alot higher. And one other thing that he said made me laugh that I was just not going to get "that classic jeep wrangler look without going to wide tires." Now I do use this jeep in the rocks a fair amount but dont get crazy like most of the rock crawler guys. It is my daily driver and first and foremost i want safety due to carting around my 1 year old son. Am i being unsafe considering running a 10.5 tire instead of going for the extra width. I did bring up the point of defenders running skinnies and being safe and he just said that a wrangler is "different in its build" GIMME YOUR OPINIONS!

efuentes

Explorer
A tall jeep on tall tires is not going t have the safety factor of a Volvo station wagon.

Driving carefully will go a long way to increase safety, more so than any combination of suspension and tires.

Saludos

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
My opinion is that, yes - a narrower track will of course make a vehicle more prone to flopping on it's side than the same vehicle with a wider track. But not simply because a tire is a 10.50. In your case, the difference of lateral stability in off-camber situations between the two configurations is negligible.

I'm surprised by Dirk's response. I've heard a lot of positive things about him over the years, but by your description, it sounds like he's simply trying to pass his personal preference on to you.

maximumrob

Adventurer
DPG has a solid reputation for their suspension packages and he's probably working on an older wheeler's philosophy. That "rule of thumb" was widen track 1.5" for every 1" of height gained. You can't really argue with that logic, either.

That being said, I run 255's on stock rims with no spacers and 3.5" of lift on my '05 Unlimited Rubicon. My truck doesn't feel top heavy at all, especially compared to a Wrangler running a taller lift with taller tires. My off-road regimen is a semi-regular dose of 4-rated trails (out of 5) at Superlift and Barnwell Mountain.

Wranglers don't have much metal up high, especially if you're running a soft top or no top at all.

Based on what I've read at Rubicon Owners Forum, Dirk ain't no fool. Don't dismiss his advice even if it's old school.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Sorta bogus. When stock 55" CJ and Wide Track Jeeps had 58" track width that was a bigger concern. Your TJ has about a 66" track width from the factory. I think going up a couple of inches and staying on stockish wide tires is not a major safety concern when you consider that 12.50 tires do have a gas mileage downside. Obviously stock height and track IS safer no matter what, but I don't think it's nearly as much worry as it used to be. Back then your width axles is what they would have put on with 4" lifts and so you're starting from a different point than them.

Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Dirk doesn't know the OP from a hole in a wall.

Of course he's going to give conservative advice.

Last edited:

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
skinny tires are also LESS prone to catchin the grooves in the road and wandering...

I rocked 33-10.50s for YEARS drivin 120 miles DAILY...dont sweat it..

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I have purchased from Dirk several times. He is a nice guy and a good resource for information on OME lifts. But he is dead wrong regarding tire width. Yes there is increased stability with wider tires, but the difference is negligible. I have run 255/85R16 tires on my LJ with an OME lift for the last 25K. These tires measure 33.3 x 10 and I could not be happier with the performance of the Jeep under all conditions. My brother runs the same setup and is similarly pleased. Wide tires just happen to be the fashionable choice in most Jeep circles. Don't fall for it.

GPER

Observer
I have been driving a narrow track CJ for 36 years most of the time I have run a lift and 12.5 x 33 tires. A stock TJ is still wider than what I run and a 10 inch tire would be wider than a stock TJ.

Go with your 10 inch tires, run on the road with your sway bars connected, run a gas shock, and drive it like a Jeep(carefully).

DarinM

Explorer
I've had the same conversation with Dirk.
I respect his opinion, but I am probably going to run a narrower tire on my TJ after it's lifted. I've driven higher COG vehicles for many years now and I feel comfortable with the negliglble risk.
I lack the skills/tools/space to self-install, so I am planning on having Dirk install one of his OME kits.
I've gone by his shop and met him and my "gut" response to him was positive. I've also never seen anything substantially negative about him on any forums I've been a member of or lurked. I think he's knowledgeable and has an opinion that he has a right to. If he believes there is a potential safety concern, I appreciate that he is willing to bring it up - right or wrong.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I run 33x10.50x15's on my 1st Gen 4Runner and I couldn't be happier. I don't like wide tires for a myriad of reasons but suficed to say I've noticed ZERO handling deficiencies from running tall-ish skinny tires. yes a tall tire with a skinny foot print will have more roll latteraly to it. BUT they also have higher PSI measurements at the ground so it's kind of a wash in terms of actual traction.

I think it's a matter of common sence that raising a vehicles center of gravity even an inch will cause changes to it's handling dynamics, but good driving should mitigate that to a point of making it a non-concern. yes, my Truck with even a modest 2.5" lift on it feels a little tippier in tight corners at speed, but you know what, I drive by feel so I just go slower around corners. I find it funny how some people will make it sound like you will litteraly FLY OFF THE ROAD while going 5mph with a certain set-up what ever they're talking about, suspension, tires, what-have-you. It's a bit alarmist if you ask me. Were driving lifted 4wd trucks, not sports cars. Talking about handling charesteristics of these old rigs is kind of funny, as if they have any performance hadling to them at all ;)

For trucks that actually see dirt... Tall and skinny is THE way to go imo. Some folks like wide tires for specific specialty applications (deep mud and snow or sand)... But everywhere alse and in general a narrower tire will perform better in my experience. Another thing is around here, with all the rain we get, it's nice to not have to run some hokey fender flares to cover my tires so i don't cause a wreck

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
just so everyone knows I am in no way bashing dirk. In all honesty after talking with the guy for 10 min i will be giving him every bit of business that i can. Just wanted to clarify that. And i forgot to add that I will be running a roof rack with 2-300LBS due to the wrangler being so CUTE in the cargo department.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I run 33-10.50s on my Jeep and couldn't be happier. Going skinnier was the best thing I ever did. Knock on wood but I've never rolled my Jeep. When you're driving a narrow short wheelbase vehicle you just can't forget what it is and drive appropriately.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I like Dirk and purchased my OME TJ lift from him years ago.

I also like narrower tires. Have run 255/85 on a few 4x4s for several years now. Never felt unsafe because of my tire preference.

Run your 33x10.5 :smiley_drive:

I just return to 255s are a several month flirt with 285s. :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater