33s do I need to re gear?

Adventure IQ

Explorer
On my 94 YJ I'm running 31s but would like to go to 33s....its a stock inline 6 and have not made any changes to the drive train. Any issues with running 33s? Admit its 70% vanity and 30% form...unless I do stuff in Moab. Worried about tearing something up
ae7e6a08-cdcd-7ab3.jpg

dflesher65

Certifiable
What gear ratio do you have? I run Toyo's 305/70 16 (33's) and 4.10 gears in a 06 LJ and it's okay. Do I wish I had 4.88s...yes!

Dwight

Jwood

Observer
A re-gear will only do you good. When I made the switch from 31's to 33's my poor little YJ could surely tell the difference.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Manual or auto? My best bud has a 94 with the manual and stock gears on 33's and it works pretty good, but an auto would like new gears.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Manual or auto? My best bud has a 94 with the manual and stock gears on 33's and it works pretty good, but an auto would like new gears.

Agree with this. 33's on an auto with stock gears (3.55 or 3.73) will have bad hunting problems. At least mine did.

John

Rubicon John

Observer
You might want to beef up your Dana 35 (weak C clip) if going bigger than 31" tires. I've seen these break firsthand on a YJ and TJ without too much effort once bigger tires are added.

In each case, we managed to come up with creative solutions for getting the wheels to stay on and the jeeps off the trail.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Not sure how you guys are giving recommendations when you don't know what gears he's running to begin with. I've seen the odd YJ with 3.07's from the factory.

Generally speaking if you're 100% certain you'll never go bigger than 33's, 4.56's would be my choice, a chance you're going to go to 35's, 4.88's are in order.

I kept a D35 with 4.56's a Detroit locker and 33's in one piece for a few years. Ran the Rubicon a couple of times with it, finally did it in when I bent the housing on the Dusy Ershim trail.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You might want to beef up your Dana 35 (weak C clip) if going bigger than 31" tires. I've seen these break firsthand on a YJ and TJ without too much effort once bigger tires are added.

In each case, we managed to come up with creative solutions for getting the wheels to stay on and the jeeps off the trail.

I ran 33's on my d35 with EZ Locker for over 4 years without issue under a heavier vehicle. Egos break axles.

Not sure how you guys are giving recommendations when you don't know what gears he's running to begin with. I've seen the odd YJ with 3.07's from the factory.

Generally speaking if you're 100% certain you'll never go bigger than 33's, 4.56's would be my choice, a chance you're going to go to 35's, 4.88's are in order.

I kept a D35 with 4.56's a Detroit locker and 33's in one piece for a few years. Ran the Rubicon a couple of times with it, finally did it in when I bent the housing on the Dusy Ershim trail.

A good driver can make a d35 last awhile.

Rubicon John

Observer
I ran 33's on my d35 with EZ Locker for over 4 years without issue under a heavier vehicle. Egos break axles.

Yup, both drivers said just about the same thing as we held up the trail rides to jerry-rig their D35s.

My ego is pretty big, and mine is still in one piece with a detroit after 11 years also:coffeedrink:

So I wouldn't worry about the axle and 33s either, I like the 4.88s and manual transmission with overdrive on the highway, and 1st gear crawling, but whatever gear set you choose, I think you would be happy with lower gears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333