3500 RAM Prospector + Alu Cabin + Custom Bed

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
It’s just a hose clamp right? Should matter unless it’s just raining cats and dogs and combined with cold weather freezes up in the bottom before it can drain out.

UglyViking

Somewhat related, what made you decide to go with the standard intake over the prefilter? I plan on doing this mod in the next year or two and I plan to leverage the sy-klone pre-filter that is offered.

hdas

So I will have the part quick, BUT I have to pay for it and claim the carrier. It’s only $160, and the carrier already gave me $200.

But this is a huge letdown from AEV. Big company that wants to ******** the tow driver because their lack of quality control….unbelievable.

I’m flying out of the country for an emergency. I don’t have time to fight the good fight with AEV now.

Thanks everybody for their input.

hdas

Somewhat related, what made you decide to go with the standard intake over the prefilter?

1. A couple of engineers friends told me this is a better design (more air w/ enough filter)
2. AEV doesn’t offer it anymore.
3. Didn’t push for it bcs I don’t think it looks that good.

If I were to be proven wrong, where does one buy one?

ramblinChet

1. A couple of engineers friends told me this is a better design (more air w/ enough filter)
2. AEV doesn’t offer it anymore.
3. Didn’t push for it bcs I don’t think it looks that good.

If I were to be proven wrong, where does one buy one?

Verify if you decide to order but this is the part used by AEV:

Since all AEV parts have factory part numbers you can also stop by your RAM dealer and order 40306140AA

And here is additional information:

UglyViking

My only concern with the stock air filter would be worry about it getting caked with snow, and I don't think the sy-klone would have that same issue. Thanks for providing the product data Chet! I'm curious as to why AEV has decided to stop selling it.

UglyViking

For people interested in payload. My truck went from 3800lbs to 3380lbs after the AEV upfit:

View attachment 816481
That is less than I expected. I guess that is one benefit with working directly with the OEMs, you get some ability to provide greater accuracy for numbers. Only 420lbs lost over factory. 37" tires prob weigh around 100lbs more for all 4. 16.5Ti has to be 100lbs. The AEV front bumper weighs 300lbs (minus say 75lbs for stock, puts you at 225lbs). Rear bumper, lets say 75lbs over stock? The suspension setup has to weigh 100lbs over stock? Plus other odds and ends (snorkel, weight of 17s over stock (if any, possibly lower?) All that adds up to about 600lbs, or about 50% more than the stated loss.

Makes one wonder if that offset is helped by the rating of the tires? I suppose my numbers could likely be way off, margin of error on these small numbers may be ~25%. Wonder what makes it different than my expectation.

Minor thing but it's nice the cold pressure ratings are listed there.

hdas

Only 420lbs lost over factory. 37" tires prob weigh around 100lbs more for all 4. 16.5Ti has to be 100lbs. The AEV front bumper weighs 300lbs (minus say 75lbs for stock, puts you at 225lbs). Rear bumper, lets say 75lbs over stock? The suspension setup has to weigh 100lbs over stock? Plus other odds and ends (snorkel, weight of 17s over stock (if any, possibly lower?) All that adds up to about 600lbs, or about 50% more than the stated loss.

Add:

- Side steps
- Intercooler Skid

Payload is key for me. I want to carry a lot of water and fuel and never think about being close to the limit. In a recent interview, Dave Harrington talked about the 80% of payload heuristic as a good ballpark measure for off-road performance and safety.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner