3rd Gen 22re Pickup. TAT and TET slow budget build.

Thoryota

Observer
Not a whole lot to update on since the last post. Got real busy planting beans and cutting hay for the last month and a half. Been working from 6am to midnight everyday it has not rained. Just haven't had time to mess with the truck. Any how I did get it to run but it is not right. The mass airflow sensor is screwed up and keeping the truck from running right. Once I get that taken care of it should be ready to ride.

Attachments

• black stripe 1066 night time.jpg
    black stripe 1066 night time.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 28
  • yota timing chain 57.jpg
    yota timing chain 57.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 27

Thoryota

Observer
Got around to pulling the truck back into the shop this weekend. Yanked the doors off and mounted the tube doors for the summer. Even though it still isn't drivable it looks good though. Repainted the back bumper and threw some paint on the tire mount. Been meaning to do so for the last few months just never got to it. Also repainted the recovery shackles. They looked bad in contrast with the new paint on the bumper.

Attachments

• yota timing chain 58.jpg
    yota timing chain 58.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 32
  • yota timing chain 59.jpg
    yota timing chain 59.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 34

Thoryota

Observer
Not really an update but I threw the doors back on and drug it out of the shop to make room for a tractor I need to work on. Hopefully soon I can catch a break from farm work and finish this thing. Got a really bad oil leak I havent been able to trace down so that is going to keep it off the road for a little while longer. I was hoping to bed line the inside of the bed while I had it in the shop but like always got to busy. Might have to wait for a nice day soon and go to town on it.

Attachments

• yota timing chain 60.jpg
    yota timing chain 60.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 29

Thoryota

Observer
Well everyone this is the post we have all been waiting for. After having two weeks of rain to slow me down from day to day farm activities I had time to work on my truck. Any how it is running and driving very well. Finished all the loose ends and got it running. Adjusted the valves and set the timing and replaced the throttle body gasket. I must of tore the gasket when I installed the throttle body a few months ago. The gasket is very thin and didn't take much to tear. Must of overlooked it when I installed it. With the gasket tore it was sucking to much air thus making it not run right. Bought a new PF-24 Interstate at cost through work and threw that in as well. I am beyond happy to have this thing back on the road. I have put about 150 miles on it over the weekend and it has not missed a beat.

yota and rubicon.jpg

Thoryota

Observer
Thanks shabba. I am beyond happy to have this thing back. Words do not describe how happy I am to be driving it again.

Thoryota

Observer
A little update for anyone who is interested. In the month I have had it running I have put roughly 2,000 trouble free miles on the truck. The only adventuring that has been done sadly is bombing down the local dirt roads while checking crops. I still like to think I am exploring while I do this even though I know exactly where I am at. Any how today I flushed the radiator and refilled it with new antifreeze. I feel a lot better about having fresh antifreeze in the system now instead of later when it does get cold. I also treated the truck to its first bath since the timing chain destroyed its self. Ten dollars later and it is a lot cleaner.

Attachments

• yota clean 3.jpg
    yota clean 3.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 51
  • yota clean 4.jpg
    yota clean 4.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 47
  • yota clean 5.jpg
    yota clean 5.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 47
  • yota clean 6.jpg
    yota clean 6.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 45

Thoryota

Observer
Well after 3,000 trouble free miles she is broke again. Was going down a dirt road on the way to check some cows and drink beer and she died. She shut off just like I turned the key. After thinking the worse I called a buddy of mine to bring his truck so we could drag it back to the shop. Anyhow we started checking simple things like electrical connections ect. We checked for spark and there was none going to the plugs. So we then checked the coil. It checked out fine. Next we check the distributor. Had fire going from the coil to the distributor like it should. Pulled the distributor cap and this is what I found. Any how the pickup coil in the distributor was destroyed. So I guess its time for a new distributor. Replaced just about everything in the rebuild except the distributor. Live and learn I guess.

Attachments

• yota distributor.jpg
    yota distributor.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 42

Thoryota

Observer
Your right red. Hopefully in the next week or so I will have it back running. Sucks being truckless right now.

Summitbeerowl

Adventurer
Howdy, finally got to read through your build. Looks great! You've certainly done a lot of work and it shows. I'm sure I'll be picking your brain as I continue my own build. It's great to be able to find guys doing similar builds.

Thoryota

Observer
You are more than welcome to pick my brain. Might be some useful info in it somewhere.

Any how here is a quick update. A couple of weeks ago I threw on a new distributor and cap on the beast. Reset my timing to 8 degrees (factory setting) was running it around 7ish. Got some power back. Can use 5th gear a little more now. Its kinda nice. So the other weekend gave the thing a bath and changed the oil and air filter. Stuff it needed. If you take care of your stuff it will take care of you in return. I also removed the tire carrier in case anyone was wondering. I will be redoing it in the next few months.

Stuff to come in the next few weeks to a few months.

2'' Lowrange Offroad ball joint spacers with Procomp ES3000 shocks for the front.
2'' Procomp shocks for the rear. Going to use 2'' blocks in the rear cause they cost me a 6 pack of Natural Ice. Good to have cheap friends with parts.
4 new injectors from LCE (stock flow) because mine are leaking.
LCE stainless street header and LCE full exhaust. DeskToGlory sold me on this.
Last but not least some 33x12.50x15 Kenda Klever MTs. I have had really good luck with this tire so I am just going up one size.

Attachments

• yota clean 7.jpg
    yota clean 7.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 19

Thoryota

Observer
Well we got our first snow fall of the year over the weekend. Got around 9 inches of the white stuff. Had to go to work in it saturday but that is overtime money which I can use towards fun truck parts. Any how last week I was playing in a bumper deep mud hole and got water in my starter. No big deal except for the fact that it has not got above freezing for the last 3 days. Thus my stater is frozen on my truck. I was able to get it cranked yesterday (sunday) and had to chase a new born calf. Cows like all critters will pick the worst time to have a baby and yesterday was no exception. It didnt get above 20 degrees yesterday with a low of 0 this morning. That is a record low for this area. Any how I fired up the yota once I got the starter unthawed and hit the field. Found the calf and it was in good shape. A little cold and slow moving but was a healthy heifer. So we tagged it and sent her on her way.

With that said I bought a new starter tonight on my way home from work. But I am not the man I think I am so its going to wait till tomorrow when it is warmer. I really didn't feel like fighting a starter laying in the snow when it is 20 degrees out in the dark. Not my idea of a good time.

Attachments

• yota snow.jpg
    yota snow.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 20
  • yota snow calf.jpg
    yota snow calf.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 19

Thoryota

Observer
This will be a non picture update. I do apologize about that. Any how over the weekend I pulled the truck in the shop and replaced the starter. Come to find out the old starter which I thought was the original was a reman unit. The more I work on this truck the more reman parts I find on it. I have a reman torsion bar on one side of the truck. How one breaks one with a stock truck without a heavy winch bumper I don't know. But apparently it broke before and was replaced before I have known this truck. Anyhow I got the new reman starter installed with very little issue. Pull the passenger side front tire off and you can get to through the oil filter access hole in the fender well. Took a 14mm for the bolts that hold it to the bell housing and a 13mm for the hot lead. I have a feeling I have to pull it back off and shim it. It just doesn't sound as good as the old one when cranking.

Sometime last week after it snowed, someone liked my Warn receiver shackle more than I did and stole it off the back of my truck. They did leave me the pin and clip though. But if your going to steal something you might as well steal it all. So with that said its time for an upgrade. Being that receiver shackle was the most using piece of recovery gear on my truck I decided to upgrade. Yes the Warn worked awesome and I feel that it would never break, I decided to upgrade to the Factor55 end link. Sure its more money than the Warn it is now or never so I ordered one. It should be here by the end of the week hopefully. I will post pictures when it gets here. And yes I will be getting a locking hitch pin for this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk