4.88, 4.56 for 255/85 3.4 V6

I got a free set of 4.88 gears from Dana Corp. I currently run 265/75R16 on my truck but I think I am going to go back with 255/85 Cooper ST MAXX here soon. I have a 2001 V6 Dcab (as if the handle didn't tell you that). I am second guessing the 4.88 gears after looking around. Should I just find some donor diffs with 4.56 gears out of a wrecked 4 runner or Tacoma and not go as steep?

I may also go 235/85, but leaning towards 255/85. With a family I am looking at building an off road trailer with RTT so maybe the extra gearing would be ok.

Thoughts?

v_man

Explorer
That's really not much of a difference , doubtful you could even tell which was which if you ran both side-by-side . Only a few hundred RPM's difference on the highway ...

Do you have an auto or stick ? If you're gonna run 33's or possibly even larger in the future , I'd just go 4.88's . Your 14 year old motor possibly running through an auto transmission turning large heavy tires needs all the help it could get ...

If you're still unsure I'd just let cost and effort to install help you make your decision ....

I'm not that concerned as I own a transmission shop, but I see your point. I never felt my truck revved out too much on the highway with stock tires. I'll probably go with the 4.88 set

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
With the auto and 255/85 you will ideally have 5.29. The toyota Auto trans just sucks the life out of those trucks.

Applejack

Explorer
I just put some 4.88's in my '99 4Runner with an auto. I had 4.30's before and I can tell you that there is not much to write home about. I notice the difference more on the trail than on the pavement, it creeps up and over stuff quite a bit easier than before. I think if you are going to 255's than don't bother with 4.56's at all. Also,it's nice you scored the gears but what about master install kits? That's another $500 just so you don't get caught off guard like I did.

swashbuckler

Hooligan
I'm a big fan of too much gear, and the A340 is the very definition of slushbox, and the 3.4 can handle the higher RPM. Go with the 4.88s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat