4-wheeld military trailer - street legal?

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
I just thought this would make a cool platform for an off-road trailer. Anybody's seen these and are they street legal?

attachment.php

NateK

# of axles and location of axles has nothing to do with legality as far as I know.
Just weight, brakes, and lights. ;)
Remember though that the axles will need to articulate. ;)

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
"Just weight, brakes, and lights"

It looks like it has lights and it's a military vehicle it's gotta have been designed/equipped to articulate.

As far as brakes are concerned, just from the the pic, I don't see any brake wiring or indication of surge brakes on the trailer.

And I'd guess it to be a 1- or 2- ton trailer.

I wish I had the M- designation for it.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
"Just weight, brakes, and lights"

It looks like it has lights and it's a military vehicle it's gotta have been designed/equipped to articulate.

As far as brakes are concerned, just from the the pic, I don't see any brake wiring or indication of surge brakes on the trailer.

And I'd guess it to be a 1- or 2- ton trailer.

I wish I had the M- designation for it.

FWIW, it looks like a bomb trailer...

indiedog

Adventurer
Looks to me like the tub on the top could make a pretty cool trailer! :sombrero: Anyone know what it's off or have any more pics of that sort of thing?

jcbrandon

Explorer
A four-wheeled trailer with a steering axle is difficult -- almost impossible -- to back up. That's not a handicap I would choose for a backcountry trailer. The benefit of this configuration is the trailer's payload capacity without transferring some of that weight to the tow vehicle. But the lost maneuverability is a huge price to pay.

yyc_ranger_4x4

Depending on how the design is of the steering, those trailers are only good for low speed. We had basically the same thing at the airport for hauling baggage around and after about 35-40kph, they'd start to wag all over the place. I wouldn't drive one on a public road personally...and they are a complete PITA to back up.

Renrag

Observer
As a farmer, that is called a wagon. While they can be backed up with practice, it is really hard behind a truck. Tractors turn sharper and it makes it a lot easier. Also, they are called 'wagons' for a reason. Unless the steering is PERFECT, they sway from side to side. I have some wagons I can pull up to 60mph while empty, but none would ever do it full. Another huge downside is that there isn't any weight transfered to the truck. when you get sideways to them they can push you around. In general, wagons have no tounge weight so that they can be hooked and unhooked easily and often. Not something you do in a 'trailer' setting much.

mikE(my $.02)

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
Thanks all for your input.

I got the idea after I saw the MaxiMog trailer, which is 4-wheeled also. Is there any special feature of that trailer?

Waytec

Adventurer
Thank You for another farmer to cut in. If you are looking for a good strictly bush trailer, pending on its weight you could not beet that. They are not that hard to back up with practice.

I had one very smaller in size for haling wood, fencing material, round bales and other stuff on the farm. I only pulled it behind the quad or smaller tractor. high speed is not a good thing with them.

Renrag

Observer
I guess I should add that my comments on 'wagging' apply to running gears with tie rods and turning spindles. If it uses a fifth wheel design, then it should track pretty well if maintianed. We've all seen those on 'double/triple bottom' semi trucks. All other comments about it moving the truck around apply.

mikE(thought I saw tie rods in the pic)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven