4bt diesel CJ based pickup truck

gavan

Observer
I know there are a lot of mixed opinions on this board about the 4BT, but I love mine!

2012-03-13_18-25-34_912.jpg

The body is from a CJ-10a flightline tug, and I made the frame from mid-cab back to the bumper. The "bed" is the non-rusty part of 2 M101 trailers welded together. The axles are from a M1008 CUCV, so front D60/rear 14b, with 4.56 gears and a rear detroit. Wheels and tires are HMMWV pieces. Motor is a 4BT from a Frito-Lay truck, rebuilt with some pump mods. Transmission is a NV4500 from a Dodge, transfer case is a D300.

I tried to make it relatively cheap, with easy to find parts. All the CUCV stuff is easily sourced from a 1984 K30 Chevy pickup, military surplus wheels and tires are pretty easy to find and cheap, lots of Cummins places out there. Besides, most of the wear parts, like gaskets, accessories, filters, etc., are shared with the readily available 6BT.

For now, there is a big tool box in the bed with batteries, electronics, and a fuel tank. I may move the tank under the bed and the batteries to a tool box. Without the tool box, the bed is 6'5", and it could accept just about any full size short bed camper. I would probably add sway bars at that point, but it would be easy. Even with the tool box there is plenty of room for camping gear. I have thought about buying the M101 trailer bows and tarp as well! They should fit after a couple inches are taken out of the middle. It rides very well too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh-CU0TnwyE

It smokes a little now, but I am still adjusting the pump. Besides that, it is relatively quiet, no horrible vibrations, and it has power. I spent some time on the motor mounts and used fluid filled ones, I am sure they help with the vibration isolation. The other cool thing about this truck is there is really very little to go wrong. It has a pull cable for the pump kill, like an old tractor, so the ONLY battery you need is for starting. Running your coolers all night and kill the battery? A quick push start and it will be running just fine.

So anyways. Just another opinion on the 4BT.

If you would like to see the rest of the build thread, it is here.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=912871

Patman

Explorer
I like it! CJ10 nose isn't my cup of cocoa, but still a cool rig.

Have any issues with the 300 living behind the 4bt?

gavan

Observer
I like it! CJ10 nose isn't my cup of cocoa, but still a cool rig.

Have any issues with the 300 living behind the 4bt?

It aint there to look at, its there to WORK! Besides, all the intercooler plumbing would have gotten caught up in those pesky CJ7 headlights.

Someone told me the 9 slot grill was to commemorate the military Willys/GPWs. Probably a load of BS, but a good story!

No issues yet, I have not been easy on it either. The biggest thing I am worried about is the tailshaft, but most of them seem to fail off road with 4:1 gears and a heavy foot, or bouncing the rear axle with axle wrap. I think a 6bt may break it much easier, but the 4bt is hanging in there.

The case should be fine, worst case would be a 3-400 dollar output 32 spline replacement.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Looks great. I don't know why more guys don't use those M101 boxes as pickup beds. I chopped and channeled one for my FJ45 once.

Picture_015.jpg
Picture_016.jpg

gavan

Observer
Looks great. I don't know why more guys don't use those M101 boxes as pickup beds. I chopped and channeled one for my FJ45 once.

Yeah, I dont know either. They are great to work with, sturdy, decent metal, and over constructed for what they are. Plus they are cheap and easy to find.

Nikson

Explorer
looked over the build thread... great job... love the dash...

any MPG number with that 4bt there at this point?

MOAK

Adventurer
I'm considering that swap, in two to three years.. My questions are.... Does it quiet down at highway speeds? ( I drive 18 wheeler and the noise can be deafening pulling up hill) and, would you drive it to Alaska and back?

kickingprop

Observer
Amazing! I've been wanting to do something almost exactly like this! Where in Houston are you? I'd love to come see that thing sometime!

gavan

Observer
looked over the build thread... great job... love the dash...

any MPG number with that 4bt there at this point?

No! Way too much fun to stab the gas! I am also trying to be slightly responsible and vary the speeds for the engine break in period. I hope to get some real numbers in a couple months after I get some miles on it. I am hoping for 20-25, I have seen similar builds in that range, but I bet it will end up closer to 18-22 due to my current driving through congested Houston for the majority of each tank :(

gavan

Observer
I'm considering that swap, in two to three years.. My questions are.... Does it quiet down at highway speeds? ( I drive 18 wheeler and the noise can be deafening pulling up hill) and, would you drive it to Alaska and back?

I would not say the noise is deafening, but I would not call it unnoticeable. I have very little sound insulation yet, and you can hold a conversation at speed without too much yelling, and use normal voices at idle. I was actually very impressed, I have been in some loud trucks. I think the loudest thing in most big diesels I have driven was the enormous engine driven fan - this thing has a pair of electrics that you can not hear over normal motor noise.

After a month or 2 of chasing around dumb conversion problems, like I am going to build upper radiator support v3.0 soon because I am not happy with the upper mount yet, I would drive it anywhere. I tried to design it around easily found parts, and I tried to make it easy to work on. I think I did a pretty good job with both of those goals! What it boils down to is a one ton truck thinly disguised as a Jeep. I would drive it anywhere. The Dodge Durango seats are even pretty comfy!

gavan

Observer
I'm digging it. Super nice job. I really like your tube frame leaf spring CJ also!

Thanks! I enjoy reading about the Dodge and the Willys as well.

Slowly amassing parts to make the leaf sprung tube CJ a linked, ORI-strutted CJ... the leafs were pretty cool, but I could not stop making them into horizontal S's. And I am going the ridiculously overbuilt Toyota axle route. Should be a neat truck by the time its done. again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater