4Runner Driveline Issues

t4rman

Adventurer
I have a 3in OME suspension lift with about 20,000 miles on it and have gone through 2 sets of front CV axles. The boots keep tearing. I'm wondering if the CV angle is too extreme and I need to change that somehow.

Picture of the drivers side axle

Picture of a tear in the boot

Thanks,
Dillon

corax

Explorer
The angle doesn't look too bad . . . and chance you could install manual locking hubs? That would keep the CVs from spinning when they're unlocked + you might get a bump in MPGs from the reduced drag while driving unlocked

t4rman

Adventurer
I would defiantly try that if it would help. The truck is full time 4wd though, would that still work?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The angle doesn't look that bad. I have 2.5 inches of lift with an Overland Warehouse kit and have not had any boot problems. Yours looks like a 4th Gen 4Runner and I don't know of anyone offering aftermarket manual hubs yet.

t4rman

Adventurer
Good catch. It is 4th gen. I forgot to mention that. Does a company make a differential drop to fix that? Would that be a good idea?

Expedition Leader
Your angle is fine, I would look for something rubbing on the boot on compression, like the sway bar linkage.

4x4mike

Adventurer
The angle doesn't look bad. Do you have a diff drop installed? The kit is 2 bolts and 2 spacers. If not I'd get one since you have a 3" lift. Look around to see if the boots were rubbing on anything. Turn the wheel full lock in both directions to make sure. The factory boots are really nice but maybe you need to look into aftermarket. I think it's total chaos that makes a boot for the 4runners that is a little longer and I think has a few more ribs in it.

cruisertom

I don't know if there is a diff drop available for yours, but on the 3rd gens 3" is too much for the boots and possibly the axles. Try Slee offroad they offer a high angle cv boot for the 3rd gens and maybe for yours or might know of a fix.

BrandX

Adventurer
i would look for a rubbing issue. i have a 3in OME on my tacoma and have no problems , but i did take the sway bar off as you dont need it with such a stiff ride.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I've kept my swaybar just for cornering. :elkgrin:

Anyhow, a lot of suspension kits have a small machined block that goes under the swaybar mounting points. The block moves the swaybar a little forward to avoid contact with the coilover springs but maybe it helps with avoiding the CV boot too?

t4rman

Adventurer
Thanks everybody for your input. After looking at the joint in the daylight, there aren't any points of rubbing. The lift destroyed the original toyota boots (which had about 50k miles on them) and the mechanic I took it too recommended an aftermarket company for replacement axles and boots. These new boots just look like they are not designed for such extreme angles while turning and under compression. I think this week I am going to order a diff drop kit and look for some cv boots that can take a bit more of a beating.

Anybody have experience with this one?

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.ph...ategory_id=84&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

4RunAmok

Explorer
I believe I have the ToyTec on my 3rd Gen... Ripped both boots open up on Gold Mountain (Big Bear) because I put a 3" lift with King coil-overs...Had to replace both half shafts.

Drop kit installed and not a problem since!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater