4Runner or Tacoma? Need Advice

Arktikos

Explorer
Kids in the future gives the edge to 4Runner, though I once again agree with redthies about perhaps just refreshing your current Runner. They're great trucks. Hard to imagine that the newer ones are more fun to drive, but maybe so.

I would arrange for a test drive of the two contestants.

Roody

Adventurer
This is the second time this has been mentioned in this thread, and multiple times elsewhere. Can you confirm this? From the specs I'm looking up, it doesn't appear to be true. Tiny bit more leg room (0.3") and headroom (0.3"), but less shoulder room (1.1") and less hip room (0.6"). Pretty much a wash?
_
.......Tacoma (16)..4Runner
HR - Front 39.7 39.3
HR - Rear 38.3 38.6
LR - Front 42.9 41.7
LR - Rear 32.6 32.9
SR - Front 58.3 57.8
SR - Rear 58.9 57.8
HipR - Front 57.2 56.5
HipR - Rear 56.3 55.7

Admittedly I didn't do my homework before writing what I did. It seems like it's a wash from the specs, but after having sat in the back of both the 4R definitely feels more spacious (undoubtedly because there isn't a window directly behind your head...).

Clutch

<---Pass
This is the second time this has been mentioned in this thread, and multiple times elsewhere. Can you confirm this? From the specs I'm looking up, it doesn't appear to be true. Tiny bit more leg room (0.3") and headroom (0.3"), but less shoulder room (1.1") and less hip room (0.6"). Pretty much a wash?
_
.......Tacoma (16)..4Runner
HR - Front 39.7 39.3
HR - Rear 38.3 38.6
LR - Front 42.9 41.7
LR - Rear 32.6 32.9
SR - Front 58.3 57.8
SR - Rear 58.9 57.8
HipR - Front 57.2 56.5
HipR - Rear 56.3 55.7

Looks like it is really splitting hairs.

Too bad they don't offer a stripped down version of the 4Runner anymore. My old '85 didn't even come with a back seat, had a tray instead.... it was a true sports UTILITY vehicle. Though IIRC they did that to get around the tariffs at the time.

It was like this.

P1010023.jpg

Dalko43

Explorer
Isn't a 4Runner a Tacoma with a factory hardtop?

This always seems to be brought up in this section of the forum, but in answer to your question: no, the Tacoma and 4runner are entirely different platforms, though they have had the same gasoline engines in the past.

The 4runner is on a totally different frame and chassis and is built in Japan. Like the FJ Cruiser, it's based on Toyota's international LandCruiser Prado (basically a LandCruiser lite) platform.

The Tacoma is built on a separate frame and chassis and is built in North America.

I think going back to the very early 4runner models, they were in fact built off the same platform as Toyota's old pickup models, but that hasn't been the case for the last 2-3 generations of 4runners I believe.

OP, the choice between a Tacoma and 4runner really boils down to if you need a cargo bed or not. Honestly, if you already have a F-150, and you plan on keeping it, I'm not sure what the Tacoma will do that the F-150 won't.

p nut

butter
Looks like it is really splitting hairs.

Too bad they don't offer a stripped down version of the 4Runner anymore. My old '85 didn't even come with a back seat, had a tray instead.... it was a true sports UTILITY vehicle. Though IIRC they did that to get around the tariffs at the time.

Even the 3rd gen base models were fairly stripped down. They had back seats, but radio, A/C, manual trans, xfer case LEVER, and optional rear locker. I'm sure you'd be all over that if current gen were available with that config. :D

jpachard

Adventurer
I recently moved from a 2006 Tacoma access cab to a 2016 4Runner. The 4Runner is very well built and due to the coil springs and disk brakes, handles and drives better, IMO. I loved the Tacoma but found that the bed wasn't super useful given my lifestyle. I have the RTT mounted in the bed which was nice since it was lower but the lack of security and non weatherproof aspect of the bed was an issue for me. THe 4Runner also has a slightly shorter wheelbase which is a plus. Tacoma and 4Runner have both been super reliable. As another poster said, go drive them and see which one you like better. I also prefer the 4Runner over other platforms, especially out east since it's smaller and allows me to access more trails, see below. I had 5cm to spare on both sides...

Cheers, James

IMG_3391.jpg

Last edited:

JLee

Adventurer
I recently moved from a 2006 Tacoma access cab to a 2016 4Runner. The 4Runner is very well built and due to the coil springs and disk brakes, handles and drives better, IMO. I loved the Tacoma but found that the bed wasn't super useful given my lifestyle. I have the RTT mounted in the bed which was nice since it was lower but the lack of security and non weatherproof aspect of the bed was an issue for me. THe 4Runner also has a slightly shorter wheelbase which is a plus. Tacoma and 4Runner have both been super reliable. As another poster said, go drive them and see which one you like better. I also prefer the 4Runner over other platforms, especially out east since it's smaller and allows me to access more trails.

Cheers, James

5th gen 4Runners are actually a little wider than a (new) Tacoma or GX460/GX470, but not much (and 2" narrower than a 200-series LC).

Clutch

<---Pass
There you go. Steel wheels, manual trans. Minimal options. I'm not a fan of barn doors, or the built in 3rd row. But minor nuisance.
_
Don't worry, though, we'll never get them here.

Hells yeah! Yeah not a fan of barn doors either, have it on our Trooper...pain in the butt when you have to haul anything longer than the cargo area, much rather have a tailgate and a hatch or roll down glass. Didn't care for that the rear seats didn't fold flat either, the Trooper's do.

------

Wut!!?? Not even someday!!?? :D ;)

------

Other than the barn doors...the 76 is "it". :)

Yan know, if I squint a little, my Trooper does look like a 76. :D

397883_10150594686809630_819463804_n.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Hells yeah! Yeah not a fan of barn doors either, have it on our Trooper...pain in the butt when you have to haul anything longer than the cargo area, much rather have a tailgate and a hatch or roll down glass. Didn't care for that the rear seats didn't fold flat either, the Trooper's do.

------

Wut!!?? Not even someday!!?? :D ;)

------

Yan know, if I squint a little, my Trooper does look like a 76. :D

Other than the barn doors...the 76 is "it". :)

Ha ha. Well, as the saying goes, "If you believe it, it's not a lie." (- G. Costanza).

nordwulf

I was really excited about the new Tacoma and thought it would be everything I needed for my next vehicle. Currently have a car but want something with a lot more utility and explore places beyond the asphalt.

I checked out the Tacoma a few times and can not get comfortable at all behind the wheel. I am 6'2" and have to move the seat all the way back. But then I have to stretch out my arms to reach the steering wheel. And you still sit pretty close to the floor, even though it seems slightly better than previous generations. Just an akward seating position for taller drivers.

Then I tried the 4Runner and seating position is so much better. Still would need one without a sunroof but I can see myself enjoying long trips in the 4Runner.

Also like the fact it is made in Japan. Nothing against American-made vehicles but I like made in Japan.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk