4Runner Softopper window tint question

lofreqjeff

Observer
For those of you who have a Softopper now on your 1st gen 4Runner:

Whats your take on the window tint? I am set on getting one, and ready to place an order, but not sure if I want to order the standard or dark window tint - The standard Softopper window says "Light Tint" and for an additional $60, they offer "Dark Tint" But what is the difference really? Like, how dark is the darker tint? I've searched here, other forums and all over the internet looking to see if I can get a good idea of the difference between the 2 tints and its really hard to get a clear understanding of what I might be ordering if I go with the dark tint.

SO - if you have a softopper on your 4Runner, could you please post a pic or 2 of the window(s) and let me know if it is the standard tint or the dark - Thank you!

lofreqjeff

Observer
Thanks Jason!

The dark tint in that link looks like it is so dark I can hardly see through it. Someone mentioned to me that if you typically have back seat passengers, the dark tint is pretty much mandatory but in the 8 years I've had my 4Runner, I've had back seat passengers like 3 or 4 times. I have a buddy that has one with the dark tint - I guess I'm gonna have to make the time to drive the 30-something miles to his place to check it out before I make a final decision.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I loved the dark tint on my hardtop, never had issues with visibilty. It was nice when camping and I know the dogs preferred it over the non-tinted soft top windows. They would always adjust to the shaded side.
5527786530_2467e193c9.jpg

coryc85

Jeff - there are actually 2 soft tops for sale in the Yotatech classifieds right now, I'm not affiliated in any way with either of these sellers. I did contact one of them to see if he would take less, but no luck. I briefly had a Kayline on my 4Runner, but did not really like the way it left some small openings for rain to seep in. I'm really eyeing a Softtopper myself, but can't seem to convince myself to spend $750 on a top when I've got all kinds of other things to buy for this truck.

1. Black SoftTopper with the tinted windows: http://www.yotatech.com/f109/1st-gen-4runner-soft-top-chattanooga-tn-256861/

2. Tan CanBack with the roof rack attachment: http://www.yotatech.com/f109/getting-rid-my-stuff-256659/

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Thats a lot for the used softtopper. Even if its only used for 1 season. Its still used.
Those canbacks are great because you have the option of a roof top rack. my 2 cents

lofreqjeff

Observer
Thanks Cory!

My ongoing issue with getting something was to spend the extra on the tint or now. I was afraid it was going to be too dark for my taste. But I have a friend who has a softopper on his 4Runner with the tint and I took the 40-something mile (each way) drive out to his place on Sunday to check it out. The tint wasn't too dark, not too light - so tint it is for me.

I contacted each of those people on Yotatech. The canback is awesome, and Brian is a very trustworthy guy - but its used, its tan, yet $400 is a great deal for a $1200 top - IF its in good shape He is east coast, I'm in Arizona, so no chance of me getting to see it up front. Plus my 4Runner is blue with gray stipes, not sure how a tan top would look.

I agree about the softopper on YT - they was $750 + $60 for shipping, so $810 for a used top - I contacted Softopper directly, ordered a new top with the $60 tinted windows, got free shipping, so I paid $809 for a brand new one.

UPS says its "Out for Delivery" right now! I'm super exicted! I'll post up a few pics once I get it on and all situated.

Thanks guys!

coryc85

I agree with both of you, $750 for a used top is hard to understand, especially with the deal you found Jeff. The CanBack seems like a great deal, but it's tan, and it's several years old. When I had my Kayline, I said to myself that my next soft top would be a SoftTopper and I would get it new because the condition of any used top is open to interpretation, plus the sun probably degrades these and the snaps get weak from repetitive opening/closing, etc.

Jeff, sounds like you got a great deal on yours. I think tinted is probably the way to go, both for privacy and for heat blocking. I'll be watching for your pics, now you are making me want to get one. You are having a hard time with the +$60 for the tint, I'm having a hard time with the $800 on the whole thing!

Last edited:

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Congrats Jeff!

Cory, I totally agree, but I can honestly say that the soft top was the best thing I had bought for my truck. Especially during the hot months of socal. There was a good 4 months that I had my sides rolled up continuously. SO nice, but not very theft proof. Ha

lofreqjeff

Observer
My issue wasn't really the $60 for the tint - my issue was if the tint was going to be too dark for my taste. I've had a bikini top only on my 4Runner for over 6 years so I was concerned that the tint would be a huge adustment for me to have to look through. But, after seeing my friends 4Runner with the tinted windows, I can't imagine it any other way - espeically with this intense Arizona sun. And I'm sure I'll have the sides rolled up 90% of the time anyway.

My 4Runner is 95% of what I want it to be right now, so this just adds to it. Realistically, the only other thing I want to do to it is throw in a 3.4 and maybe some half doors even though I already have a great set of tube doors. I'm sure there are some cosmetic things I'd like to do, but overall it is everything I ever wanted in a off road truck.

coryc85

Jeff - sorry, didn't mean to put words in your mouth. :elkgrin:

You guys make me sick, now you've got me itchin for a soft top.

lofreqjeff

Observer
No worries Cory - sorry if that came our standoff-ish, I didn't mean it like that at all.

UPS Showed up around 7 last nite and I got most of the top together, but unfortunately I had to stop working on it and do some work stuff - stupid job!! It keeps getting in the way of my personal life :) Anyway, I'm hoping to be able to finish it tonite. Its not at all complicated, but like most people say - the instructions are kind of hard to follow, vague, and incomplete at times plus the pics suck. I am kind of a perfectionist and I only want to have to deal with install once so I am making sure the bed rails are exactly where they need to be for the best fit before securing them with the weather stripping adhesive. So, to get in installed to my standards, I have to install the whole thing, set the bed rails exactly where I think they need to be with the top on for the best fit, mark where the bedrails belong, then take it all apart to secure it with weather stripping adhesive then the bolts and put it all back together again. I'll post up a few pics of this part when I get it all situated.

Cory - I know $800 is kinda hard to swallow, but..... I see it like this when dropping big bucks on the truck - its a one time purchase and will last the life of the truck (hopefully) so just bite the bullet and do it - Its not like I'm spending $800 on it every month. I actually budget $2500 a year to spend on maintenance/upgrades/accessories on the truck - I guess thats the Accountant in me. This may be the end of the funds for this year - time to start saving up for that 3.4 swap I've been talking about for the past 5 years.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Not sure if you plan on putting the hard top on again but what I did was attach the weather stripping to the bottom of the soft top rails instead of attaching it to bed rail. That way I was able to pull the rails on and off with out any issues if needed. Just in case you know?
If you clean the truck rail really well before installing the weather stripping almost makes a stinky bond naturally.

Another tip or recommendation is to instal when the sun is out. Even then I was still stretching the fabric pretty good to get a few of the snaps snapped. Eventually, after taking the whole soft top off and on, I learned to not tighten every piece/strap until the whole top was on and a;ll the snaps snapped. Then tighten up the straps.

For some reason I also had to trim the plastic piece that hold the rear window rod so that it sat flush with the rear gate. Used a dremel for that. Just my 2 cents on the instal.

lofreqjeff

Observer
Thanks Jason - great advice.

As for the bedrails - I have thought about that: will I ever want to put the hard top back on....I don't think so but who knows. The bedrails came with weather stripping on them already and there is the plastic/paper backing in it where it touches the truck. I'm thinking that if I don't take the backing off it could leak, and it will eventually deteriorate anyway then it could mess up the weatherstipping seal then leak anyway? I dunno. But then agian - this is Arizona, it rains for 10 minutes at a time about 5 times a year so that might not be too much of a concern. I've had nothing but a bikini top on the truck for over 6 years so a little bit of water coming in isn't too much of a concern :)

I'm hoping to be home by 5 today to finish it up - and its supposed to be 107* today so that should be good to get it warmed up enough to stretch it nicely.

Thanks again Jason and Cory for comments - I appreciate it!

lofreqjeff

Observer
Ok, so I didn't pull the backing from the weatherstipping I just bolted it down JUST in case - thanks jason for the advice.

The only real modification I need to make is to shorten those plastic things that the pole attaches to on the back - even with it as far back as it can go, it still too far out to make a good seal against the tailgate - easy fix, just need to do it. Some people said they had an issue with the material being bunched up at the front, I fixed that by attacheing all the snaps, then pushing the bed rails as far back as I could then tightening them down - which created the issue with back window pole. But I'd rather have that issue than the bunched up front :) We took some of the leftover weatherstirpping and cut it to fit between the header bow and the bedrails to fill in that gap - fits great!

Here are a few pics crappy pics:
DSCN2006.jpg

DSCN2007.jpg

Before we adjusted the bedrails to get rid of that bunching up in the front:
DSCN1999.jpg

after we got it on, I took it out for a test drive - with it rolled down, the back window in place and the tube doors there was no flapping of any kind, no annoying noises of any sort; I am super impressed! Once I finish the quick release door hinges I'm in the middle of making, I'm going to put the real doors on, roll it back down then take it for a drive and see how it is - I'm sure it will be even better. Time to see if the AC still works - it hasn't been on for over 7 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333