4Runner vs Trooper for a budget minded build.

jalopyjordan

Hello all! My name is Jordan and I am pretty new here and been lurking in the shadows for quite some time (almost 2 years :Wow1:). I made a post about this on the "other" expo vehicles section but I Figured I would ask you Yota guys the same thing. I was hoping some of you folks could give me some opinions on helping me choose a rig to do a budget build into a capable expo style rig. The two main vehicles I am looking into are the first and second generation Trooper, or the first and second generation 4runner. I have also given consideration to an older Montero as well. Not in any rush to pick something up but I am probably going to start looking for something this fall . My plans for use are to be daily driven in the winter months of Wisconsin, and be able to take on extended camping trips, take on moderate trails, and back country exploring. Whatever I decide to buy, I plan on flying to the southern California area (as I know the area well) and buying something out there that is rust free, and can be driven back to my home state of Wisconsin. What are your guys thoughts?

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
Can't really say about the Trooper, but I would recommend looking at a 3rd gen 4Runner rather than a 2nd (or maybe a 1st). I've had 3 2nd gens and 3 3rd gens. The 3rd gens are a much better truck, the 3.4 engine is much better than the 3.0 (3.0s are 'head gasket eaters', and are pretty anemic - the 3.4 has much more power), they ride better, are safer (have airbags), and are about the same price. You can pick up a 96-98 4Runner for less than $4000 if you look around. If your budget is less than that, you probably won't get much anyway.

jalopyjordan

Can't really say about the Trooper, but I would recommend looking at a 3rd gen 4Runner rather than a 2nd (or maybe a 1st). I've had 3 2nd gens and 3 3rd gens. The 3rd gens are a much better truck, the 3.4 engine is much better than the 3.0 (3.0s are 'head gasket eaters', and are pretty anemic - the 3.4 has much more power), they ride better, are safer (have airbags), and are about the same price. You can pick up a 96-98 4Runner for less than $4000 if you look around. If your budget is less than that, you probably won't get much anyway.
Sounds like pretty solid advice to me and that price range is about right as well for what I am thinking of doing. hmm... Ill have to do some research on those ones.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I agree with the 3rd gen 4runner.

I don't think you can go wrong with either vehicle choice but get the newest lowest mile version of what you can afford. Try not to get too distracted with "bling" even if its expo-bling.

fireball

Explorer
We bought a 99 in pretty darn good shape with just over 100 k on it for $4800 about a year ago. Great truck my wife loves it!

Clutch

<---Pass
We have a 2002 Trooper...good solid vehicle. Sure I like Toyotas a smidge better...you can find Troopers a bit cheaper though. Autos are the weak link with them, try and find one with a manual trans...if you pick one up. Here is one for $3000.

Member Big Swede (IIRC) knows all the ins and outs of the Troopers.

Leave it stock, throw a decent set of all terrain tires on and go out exploring.

The 3.5 V6 feels much stronger than the 3.4 in my Tacoma....it has some get up and go.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
You can get into a Trooper or Monty a lot cheaper than you can get into a 4runner. However, the aftermarket is pretty sparse.

I had a 1st gen Monty and it was a great vehicle. Still holds the record for me personally in terms of how long I owned it (7 years) and how many miles I put on it (about 130k.)

There's no comparison between it and my 3rd gen 4runner, but honestly such comparisons wouldn't be fair anyway, since the 4runner was a 99 model and the Monty was a 90.

IMO 3rd gens are overpriced in the market but if you can find one that hasn't been thrashed for a decent price, I'd say go for it. But then again, I'd say the same about a Monty or Trooper. I have heard that some Trooper ATs were problematic, but I don't know which ones. Nice thing about Troopers, from what I've seen they're fairly easy to find with manual trannys up through the early 2000's. 4runners were not available with manuals starting with the 2001 model year and IME finding a manual 4runner in the most desirable (99-2000) years is pretty tough (and they sell for a lot.)

Not sure what the last year for the manual in the Monty/Pajero was, except I'm pretty certain the 3rd gen Monty was never available with a manual (though I may be wrong.) Also might consider the Montero Sport, which is a totally different vehicle from the Montero, built on a pickup platform and looks more like a 4runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues