4x4 Indicator Lights Blinking: One Solution

Clem

Adventurer
There is a thread on here about the LED's, but to tell you the truth only one in my dash has burn out at I am at 99K miles, so if the conventional lights last that long I'll never have to change them either. It really isn't that big of a deal to take the instrument cluster out.

HTH,

Clem

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Do you have a thread on how to do that? My rear wheel lights are also burned out and i don't want to be replacing them over and over again.

There may be a thread, but I never checked before pulling my instrument cluster. On my Gen III there are two Phillips screws up under the dash overhang in front of the main guages. Pull those and everything just starts coming out. It's a one screwdriver job as I recall...very easy. The only bit of advice I'd give (DAMHIK) is to test before screwing it all back together, as LEDs are polarity-sensitive, unlike incandescent lamps.

ZapMontero

Off-Road Newbie
There may be a thread, but I never checked before pulling my instrument cluster. On my Gen III there are two Phillips screws up under the dash overhang in front of the main guages. Pull those and everything just starts coming out. It's a one screwdriver job as I recall...very easy. The only bit of advice I'd give (DAMHIK) is to test before screwing it all back together, as LEDs are polarity-sensitive, unlike incandescent lamps.

alright thanks ill give it a shot when i get the chance

Figuerosky

What if the lights do not turn on at all? No blinking no nothing. I changed all the lightbulbs on mine (Montero 2 gen 1995) but none of them turn on, no steady lights on 2WD or blinking when swithching to 4WD...thanks!

GrassCat

Adventurer
What if the lights do not turn on at all? No blinking no nothing. I changed all the lightbulbs on mine (Montero 2 gen 1995) but none of them turn on, no steady lights on 2WD or blinking when swithching to 4WD...thanks!

Ah man your screwed, better sell the truck, but if you start a new thread with your question, you'll get more replies and we can ask more question of you to resolve your problem.

off-roader

Expedition Leader

As Grasscat so 'elegantly' suggested, posting this in it's own thread will get you more responses. Do your other lights work? It could be a fuse for all your indicators.

nbishop

Observer
Has anyone had their front wheel symbol lights continue to blink while in 2H? When in 4H all four wheels are illuminated continuously, but when in 2H the front wheels will not stop blinking. I greased the shaft as described in the original post to no effect.

nckwltn

Explorer
Has anyone had their front wheel symbol lights continue to blink while in 2H? When in 4H all four wheels are illuminated continuously, but when in 2H the front wheels will not stop blinking. I greased the shaft as described in the original post to no effect.
Yep... I have that same problem... Its actually pretty easy to live with

skinzluch

Adventurer
Sorry for the late reply on this... If one or both of the rear axle indicator lights are out, it's most likely a burned out bulb. The bulbs burn just burn out because they're on all the time. I think you'll need a #74 bulb. It's pretty easy to take out the instrument cluster and replace them.

skinzluch

Adventurer

One thing I forgot to mention in the original post is that after I cleaned the old grease out, I sprayed the shaft at both ends with WD-40. It helps drive the water out. (I notice this problem more after I've done water crossings.) So, I sprayed it with WD-40, let it sit for half an hour or so, then wipe everything with a rag, then add new grease. Make sure you pack the grease in towards the ends of the shafts.

Hope that helps!

I've noticed the t-case works more smoothly if I slow to a crawl and shift from D to N, then continue driving. Seems like shifting on the fly at speed makes the lights flash for a bit before it engages or disengages. This will help in normal cases, obviously not a fix for worn components that require repair.

jhill15

Explorer
I have faught this problem since I have owned my montero, and dumped quite a bit of money into solving the issue. If your 4wd works fine then its one of several things...or like mine most of those several things. The 4wd system is vacuum driven so if it engages and disengages fine then you can rule those components out. It can be as simple as wheels speed sensor $289 at the dealer. A steering angle sensor...again around $300. It could be either 1 of the 5 switches " on top of the transmission. code 32 which your 2wd detection switch "my guess is your problem" ...which...again $316. Don't let them drop your tranny and only clean the switch...its only $58 for a new one.

Couple questions. Does all 4 of your tire indicator lights go out and your diff lock light start flashing after a few miles of driving?

If so then it has recorded a faught code and will be much easier to track down the issue.

Is your flashing lights intermittent or all on every start up?

Regardless of the 2 show up to the dealer when they are flashing and leave the rig running while you get someone from service to see them flashing for themselves.

That way they can see the problem and they cant tell you they couldn't replicate it and to go home and exercise the 4wd more often.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

nbishop

Observer
Thanks for the input. I haven't tried the wd-40 to drive out any water, and I actually only pulled one side of the cover back. I'll do a more thorough job and see if that makes a difference.

jhill15- No, the lighting remains consistent with driving in 2H, 4H, and 4L. When shifting from 4H to 4L, the c/d diff light flashes a bit then goes solid. When shifting from 4L to 4H, the c/d diff light blinks a bit and then goes dark. The consistent blinking is only the front tires when in 2H. From what I can tell the 4wd works fine, I haven't done any off roadin yet but tested it when I bought by putting it in 4L and cranking the steering to get the chirps.

jhill15

Explorer
Thanks for the input. I haven't tried the wd-40 to drive out any water, and I actually only pulled one side of the cover back. I'll do a more thorough job and see if that makes a difference.

jhill15- No, the lighting remains consistent with driving in 2H, 4H, and 4L. When shifting from 4H to 4L, the c/d diff light flashes a bit then goes solid. When shifting from 4L to 4H, the c/d diff light blinks a bit and then goes dark. The consistent blinking is only the front tires when in 2H. From what I can tell the 4wd works fine, I haven't done any off roadin yet but tested it when I bought by putting it in 4L and cranking the steering to get the chirps.
I am gonna say your issue is the 2wd detection switch. Although...I had the lights flash and the dealer ran diagnostics on 2 separate occasions and 1st time was the right front wheel speed sensor. 2nd time it was the steering angle sensor. Both times my lights were fine for about a month...then the same thing happened...constant flash while in 2h. They changed my 2wd detection switch and it was good. Now all that being said I just had a new issue with those lights. Everything would be fine and after about 10 miles of driving all lights would go out and my diff light would flash. As soon as I turn the truck off it would reset itself. So 10 more miles of driving and the diff lock would flash. It happened every time I drove. So the dealer ran a diagnostic and the is a switch in the front diff that needed replaced... $400 now im good to go...maybe lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete