5th Gen 4Runner - Break-in Period? What's the manual say?

High_Country

Adventurer
I'm doing my best to locate the exact 4runner I want, which is proving to be near impossible locally. (Looking for a white TE premium WITH KDSS). The local dealer can't order even order one apparently.

I'm considering flying/driving somewhere to one of the few available nationwide and driving one home but am curious if there is a recommended break-in process or period in the manual.

Some manufacturers tell you to keep it below X,000rpm for the first X,000 miles, some say not to drive over XXmph. Some are silent on the issue.

So, those with 5th gen's - does the manual indicate any suggested break-in process?

Thanks.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Most modern vehicles don't really have a break in period and, if they do, it is something like 20-25 miles. Buy it, drive home, be happy.

Sent via fat thumb

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Generally these days the driveline was already broke in 30 seconds after they started the engine at the plant. Break ins don't really exist anymore.

Loubaru

Adventurer
Ehh, I dunno. If it was me I would try to find a manual and see what it says. I know when I bought my STi new in 2007 it definitely DID have a break in procedure that I TRIED to follow. Think it was something like don't go above 4.5k RPM, keep boost under 5psi, vary the RPMS (IE, don't get on the freeway and sit in top gear, if you need to drive on the freeway cycle going back and forth between the O/D lock out every few miles). Anyways, if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time I think its worth doing a proper break in.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
We bought our 2010 TE with KDSS from Mountain States Toyota in Denver on December 31, 2009. Couldn't find one in California at the time. Flew to Denver, they picked us up at the airport and drove us to the lot, we signed the papers, drove to the Brown Palace in downtown to ring in the new year, and started back to So-Cal the next day.

Don't drive at a constant speed. Don't race it. We varied the speed for the first 500 miles, (as I recall that's what the owners manual states to do - wife's not home yet; However, I could check it out when she gets here, manual is in the glove box). We started stepping up the speed and using the cruise control somewhere in Utah. Put a thousand miles on it just to get it home.

It currently has 98,000 miles on it. My wife uses it as a daily driver. Just as tight as the day we drove it off the lot. It's our third 4-Runner and I'd buy another one in a heart-beat.

Good luck with the search.

arla

Observer
I bought my 14 TE with KDSS 5 months ago, went through the manual and I don't recall to see any break in procedure ( I didn't dig deep for though!). 2 days after took it to Big Bear lake to have fun with it - no problem at all.

Also took it to a 3000 miles round trip from LA to Tuscon,AZ then Tempe,AZ to both south and north rims of Grand canyon ( which included offroading of different levels at Kaibab national forest and at north rim) with final destination of Navajo Indian reservation and a lot of exploration over there as well and all these happened only during the first 6 weeks!

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Just checked the owner's manual on our 2010 as mentioned in post #5 above.

Owner's Manual, Page 155 - "Breaking in your new Toyota"

"To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended":

For the first 200 miles - Avoid sudden stops.

For the first 500 miles - Do not tow a trailer

For the first 1000 miles - Do not drive at extremely high speeds
Avoid sudden acceleration
Do not drive continuously in the low gears
Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods

Pretty easy to follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete

Members online