60 series or 80 series

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
One of the coolest TLCs I ever saw was a FJ60 body transplanted onto a FJ80 frame. The best of both worlds and if you kept the 1FZ in the chassis that would be a decently quick machine I'd expect.

Ywah, yeah, who needs another megaproject?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I have a FZJ80 frame under my FJ55 for the record. Correct that it is a mega project... A good FJ60 body would be a great start though and would save a lot of time in the end.

ozarkroozer

Observer
I've got one of each. Started with the 60 many years ago and absolutely love it. Was my sole daily driver, trail rig - etc. Rock solid, minimal maintenance, does everything I ask it to do and never lets me down. However, over time some of the only things that bothered me a bit can only be attributed to creature comforts. The 60 is completely capable for most, stock - and everything else, built. Fuel injection definitely a plus in the 80 and all the cushy features to boot + the wife and kids run past the 60 to get in the 80. Having both is great but if I could only have one - I'd have to go with the 80. but saying that I could never get rid on my 60 either.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I wrestle with this question everyday of my life... (see sig)

Logic tells me to go with an 80 or 100, heart says 60 FWIW.

uzj100

Adventurer
Get a 100. Not quite as capable as a 80 however the on road is incredible for a 4x4. The prices are coming down quickly.

czenkov

Adventurer
Had an 80 - loved it but it felt big, complex, and too much luxury(sure was nice to drive home in after a long day getting bounced around on the trail though). Had the lockers and it would go anywhere. Loved it but sold it on for reasons out of the 80's control (dam PO's). I then bought a 1960 Series Land Rover - if you think a LC60 rides rough come on over and I will take you for a ride - well I will when it is up and moving again:sombrero:! Ok I wasn't completely crazy - a couple months after buying the LR I bought an '04 Tacoma for those days the truck absolutely must start/run/drive!

Anyway, I liked the looks of the 80 but in my casual shopping for another LC I look at the 60-62's. I really love the looks and spartan interiors.

In my opinion every car has a trade-off. That is why people mate 55's to 80's, Series LR to Toyota running gear etc. They are trying for their perfect truck.

Get what appeals to you and deal with it's shortcomings. What is important is that when you drive it you have a grin on your face!

My .02.

Doc Mayhem

Observer
Thanks for all the replies. I started out thinking of doing some stuff to my Tundra to make it more of a expedition type vehicle. Slight lift and an ARB Sahara bar, but it isn't a LC. It does everything I need it to and gets OK mileage 14-15 around town and 17-18 on the highway if I don't venture too high above the speed limit. But it has the stupid suicide doors on the extra cab, the push button transfer case which I can't stand, and the build quality is OK, but not what Toyota once was. Then I saw some FJ60's for a few grand and started thinking I would rather have a LC. Then I am seeing 80's going for less than $10,000, nice ones, for like $6,500 to $9,000. I also looked at some 100's and am seeing 03-05 in the high 20's. The 100's are nice and will get better mileage etc, but they don't have a soul, in my opinion like a straight axle LC. I might take one for a ride and see what it is like.

I think I am leaning towards the 80 more and more now. It seems like a lot of vehicle for less than $10,000. What kind of mileage will an 80 get on the highway with a 2.5" OME lift and slightly larger tires?

You got your post in just before me. My first vehicle was an 1982 Isuzu Tooper, 4 speed, 4 cylinder, when I lived in Saudi Arabia. It was slow, by any standards even with a weber carb and Doug Thorley header, got some strange looks bringing the header through customs. I have pictures of it somewhere with a rack I built to haul my dirt bike. A 60 sitting on an 80 series frame with a diesel would be pretty cool.

-Doc

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
See if I had a Tundra I would just build that and it would be awesome. 80s also only get maybe 12 or 13 on a good day, once lifted they are little underpowered unless you gear also and they're great but again, if I already had a V8 Tundra of that era I would be super psyched... In fact just the other day I was thinking of selling my Ford diesel (which I love) in favor of your era of Tundra. I need something with a V8 for towing and have spent quite a bit of time in a 4 door '01 Tundra that me and all of my friends love as the ultimate desert vehicle other than tight off roading... So that's my vote...

60s are great but the 62s are dogs and the 60s are carburetted. All this can be overcome but its work and time and money. I don't mind that style 4 door at all, I would rather have it then no doors at all.. :)

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said . . . But I will anyway :sombrero:

I had a 60 and have an 80. Other than looks, I think the 80 is better in every way. I also don't feel it is any more complicated than the 60. It has about 3 miles less of vacuum hoses and more room in the engine compartment. I think FI is LESS complicated than a carb. The only downside of FI is some things have to be replaced rather than repaired.

In addition, the newest 60 series is now almost 20 years old. Even the best examples get more nagging issues with age.

But I also think buying cars is very emotional. If a 60 floats your boat, then sometimes you have to scratch that itch. Even if it means you buy one and sell it a year later. Sometimes you just have to get it out of your system.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I guess part of it is the grass is always greener. You would really rather have a Tundra than a Ford Diesel Superduty?

I think a lightly built Tundra would be just awesome so I would probably say "yes." I like borderline love the Ford but it is large. Part of it is grass is always greener syndrome but I am finding the Ford expensive and in many regards unpractical, though at other times ("when you need it") it shines wonderfully of course. I think my wife would be psyched if I were to swap it out for a Tundra for quite a few reasons, and I could also lightly build it to be much more usable including off road adventures. The Ford is actually pretty good in this regard but it's just so damn big, so pretty much only usable in wide open areas...

Here it is delivering a couple thousand lbs of biodiesel processor and chemicals to rural Arizona a little over a week ago...

Attachments

• ford1.jpg
    ford1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 36

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad