60th Bday of Land Rover

Blair G

Adventurer
Today was the day the first Land Rover was shown. Pretty cool!
3lrs2.gif

Last edited:

kevb

Observer
60 years, you would think they could have figured out how to fix the leaks by now!

Thank you Mr Wilks, Happy Birthday

kd_walmsley

Observer
I will be at Eastnor Castle for the anniversary show on Saturday if anyone wants to get together for a pint.

Cheers,

Kevin

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
kd_walmsley said:
I will be at Eastnor Castle for the anniversary show on Saturday if anyone wants to get together for a pint.

Cheers,

Kevin

Well since I won't be able to make it out to England this weekend, you'll have to take some pics of the festivities and post them up please. That will give the other poor sods like myself the opportunity to be there vicariously through you.

Enjoy.

Michael Slade

Untitled
kd_walmsley said:

Cheers,

Kevin

Be sure to give their senior designer a kick in the nuts for me if you find him.

RoverMack

Adventurer
Blair G said:
Today was the day the first Land Rover was shown. Pretty cool!
3lrs2.gif

On NPR (KCRW) yesterday and to-day there was a Land Rover sponser announcement (advertisment) celebrating LR's 60th birthday which said there are 70,000 LR's on military or foreign aid duties around the world...... and i imagine non of these LR's were ever available in America, i also wondered how many Toyotas are on foreign aid / military duties around the world.

overlander

Expedition Leader
RoverMack said:
On NPR (KCRW) yesterday and to-day there was a Land Rover sponser announcement (advertisment) celebrating LR's 60th birthday which said there are 70,000 LR's on military or foreign aid duties around the world...... and i imagine non of these LR's were ever available in America, i also wondered how many Toyotas are on foreign aid / military duties around the world.

Excuse me...NAS 110...500 in 1993, thank you very much.

James86004

Expedition Leader
There was a cool full page ad in the Wall St Journal for Land Rover's 60th. The copy reads:

We've been submerged, frozen in ice, caked in mud, shot at, lost in the desert, run on banana oil, abused by royalty and rock stars, dropped from airplanes, driven to the ends of the earth and somehow, we still managed to make it to our 60th birthday.

It is accompanied by 60 photos of everything from Series Ones to current models.

RoverMack

Adventurer
overlander said:
Excuse me...NAS 110...500 in 1993, thank you very much.

I think you missed the point, NAS spec LR 110 and 90's were built for the American market starting in 93, But these trucks are not the same spec as those used by military and foreign aid organizations, (most obvious being diesel engines) and they are NOT available new from LR's current model range.
I do not hate modern LR's, but as LR celebrates its 60 years,celebrate their heritage and quote "70,000 LR's in currently in use with military and foreign aid organizations" my point was none of those vehicles are actually currently available in the US and that while LR celebrates their heritage, their new models (LR3, LR2, RR and RR Sport) available in the US are NOT exactly in demand by foreign aid organizations and the military!

overlander

Expedition Leader
RoverMack said:
I think you missed the point, NAS spec LR 110 and 90's were built for the American market starting in 93, But these trucks are not the same spec as those used by military and foreign aid organizations, (most obvious being diesel engines) and they are NOT available new from LR's current model range.
I do not hate modern LR's, but as LR celebrates its 60 years,celebrate their heritage and quote "70,000 LR's in currently in use with military and foreign aid organizations" my point was none of those vehicles are actually currently available in the US and that while LR celebrates their heritage, their new models (LR3, LR2, RR and RR Sport) available in the US are NOT exactly in demand by foreign aid organizations and the military!

Ok, I'll give you that one.

Blair G

Adventurer
RoverMack said:

Aside from a "handful" of us who care, nobody else who drives a Land Rover cares. Anybody who would drive a RR Sport thinks the heritage is an interesting footnote to Land Rovers history, but thats about it. I think the models you mentioned fit perfectly into the US market and probably kept LR viable through some pretty lean times.

Blair

RoverMack

Adventurer
Blair G said:
Aside from a "handful" of us who care, nobody else who drives a Land Rover cares. Anybody who would drive a RR Sport thinks the heritage is an interesting footnote to Land Rovers history, but thats about it. I think the models you mentioned fit perfectly into the US market and probably kept LR viable through some pretty lean times.

Blair

True, including the Freelander (which was not a American market success) but it did ensure the company's financial survival.
Off-Road Adventures the 4wheel parts free magazine included a two page article (lifted from LR's own material) on "Land Rover Turns 60" including the historical Jeep / Land Rover connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk