69 Roltite Rebuild

Steeze

Observer
A few round 12" porthole windows off amazon..

A 15"X36" sliding window for the port side wall... A Teardrop door off ebay.. I think it's 28"X36" and a skylight of some sort on the forward roof. Everything but the round porthole windows I'm getting off ebay. New of course...

Steeze

Observer
Cool! Post them when they arrive.
What are you finishing the inside surfaces with?

I am finishing the inside out with 1/8" interior grade plywood. I'm hoping I can make close enough cuts to not need any trim. I've been cutting wood for a long time and have gotten pretty good about it so I think I can do it. I'm going with a real soft blue on the smooth finished walls, light grey cabinets, laminate wood flooring (probably something in walnut or a darker tone). I haven't decided what I'm going to do with the ceiling... but I will be adding white baseboard and window trim.

Steeze

Observer
Alright so today was spent putting in insulation, a little framing and a little roof work. Here's a pic of the front of the trailer ready for interior ply.

Most of the day was spent working on my Utility/Storage area. Since this area will house the batteries, water tank, wiring, plumbing and just general storage it didn't need to be anything too fancy. I first insulated the walls and ceiling, walled it off with 1/2" ply, caulked and sealed everything, and painted it with a nice Rustoleum Red. I Bedlined this section of the deck before because I had planned it to be a utility space.

Now the last 6 hours or so I spent on the water tank... I cleaned out the inside, flushed it and shook the hell out of it with some brand new nuts on the inside to knock any loose stuff out. Then I wire brushed the entire tank.. Here's a before and after...

Then I sprayed it with a clear coat to reduce any further corrosion. Next I built this mini-halfpipe for the tank to sit in. I just used some scrap wood I had lying around. I screwed it to the deck, painted it matching silver, and lined it with a piece of camping pad. I use this same padding for my motorcycle seats. It'll eliminate vibrations, and insulate it a bit. The tank is heavy when it's full so I'm not worried about it going anywhere. Oh and yes that's a hand pump to pressurize the tank. No electric pump for me... I'll be building cabinets so the tank is hidden but the pump is accessible. I will also be rigging up a convenient way to fill the tank as well. It's ready for plumbing...

It doesn't seem like I got a lot done but I did... there's a lot of little things that weren't really worthy of pics...

Steeze

Observer
Since I'm sort of recycling a trailer that was headed for the scrapyard.. I decided to recycle some pallets and do the ceiling in a staggered rustic look. Everything up until this has been new so I decided to try and be a little more eco-friendly and reuse.

It was very time consuming and tiring. There was a lot of cutting, a lot of sawdust, and a lot of prying pallets apart. I'm really happy with how it turned out... and i'm glad it's done with. Now I just have to decide whether or not to white wash it....

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Very rustic and it looks cool. " You could do an article in Country Living Magazine"

But how heavy is it getting?

Steeze

Observer
Very rustic and it looks cool. " You could do an article in Country Living Magazine"

But how heavy is it getting?

You know I don't know exactly... I can still easily move it in and out of the garage by hand. I know it weighs a hell of a lot less than the original trailer.. I'll just have to weigh it when it's done and has everything in it.

Steeze

Observer
Here's the custom cabinets I made over the weekend. The top drawer is actually a false front to hide the sink and plumbing... this is just a first coat of paint.. I still have to sand with 220 and tile the countertop and backsplash. Then i'll do the final coat of paint and install the cabinet pulls. Of course the faucet and an outlet in the backsplash. There's a lot of little details and it took me the entire weekend to get that far. It was a lot of work for such a little kitchenette...

Steeze

Observer
Ok so some more funds came in... I was able to get the Restore for the exterior and bedliner and paint etc... I have the emergency exit window on the way. It should be here tomorrow. I still need to get the door and that's a pretty expensive piece of the project. I hope to get it soon but we'll see...

Anyways this project is back in work as I got the prep work finished up last week and got the first coat of restore on just a few minutes ago.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
How do you like the deck restore?
I saw a display at Home Depot and it looked good and many colors.
I suppose it is waterproof.

Steeze

Observer
Interesting building. You mentioned you planned on tweaking the front overhang... what's planned?

I plan on using some 2" ABS and making a fishing rod holder. It will sit right under the front overhang and stow the fishing poles. It's the perfect length for my rods, when they're broken down of course.

Steeze

Observer
How do you like the deck restore?
I saw a display at Home Depot and it looked good and many colors.
I suppose it is waterproof.

It's absolutely fantastic!!! I can't say enough good things about it. It's extremely durable and completely waterproof. It has a nice texture, it's very thick, comes in a variety of colors and easy to apply. As a expo trailer coating it's got to be one of the best options. It's not like it's going to see any foot traffic, and trust me this stuff is waterproof. It penetrates the wood and gives you a 100% waterproof finish. It fills any small cracks or screw holes, any seams and offers a very uniform appearance.

I definitely recommend it as a exterior coating... It's literally armor for wood. At only $80 for 4 gallons it's also very affordable.

In the pics I posted that was just the first coat... the second coat goes on tonight... then it'll cure in the heated garage for several weeks before it sees the sun, rain, or whatever... I'll post some more pics after the second coat has dried.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal