6x12 cargo trailer lifted for off road, Jeep JKU approved?

wb9wb

guy at U-haul today was telling me that a brake setup for a Jeep and a trailer under 3500# was a waste of money. I told him that I've been told to put electric brakes on the trailer and I wanted a controller inside the cab. any thoughts?

Eagle05

Adventurer
guy at U-haul today was telling me that a brake setup for a Jeep and a trailer under 3500# was a waste of money. I told him that I've been told to put electric brakes on the trailer and I wanted a controller inside the cab. any thoughts?

After towing large and small trailers for years, I won’t own one without brakes. I wired my previous Wrangler with the OEM harness and a controller in an afternoon for a few hundred dollars. The option on my current trailer was another couple hundred. That time and money bought peace of mind, and even saves a lot of wear on the tow vehicle.
If your trailer ever starts swaying, there is something so pleasing about tapping the brake controller and feeling it straighten right out.

Personally, I can’t belive they even sell trailers without brakes. For me, it’s worth the money.

Eagle05

Adventurer
F5E616DA-FB24-498E-9EE9-3F56C7FE0CB2.jpeg
This is my aluminum WeeRoll Wrangler. I’m told it weighs 850 lbs empty and is 4’x4’x8’. It’s packed completely full for my move next week and I’m hoping to weigh it to see how heavy it is loaded. The manufacturer is making larger (taller) ones now too if you’re not dead set on a 6’x12’. It’s not perfect, but I think it’s better than a lot of cargo options out there, and for less money than most.

I have the Redarc Tow Pro Elite in my JKUR. My trailer doesn’t weight 1500lbs loaded, but I’m glad I put a brake axle under it. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.

HAFICON

Adventurer

I had brakes on my last build and will on this one. Maybe stick to pavement you would be ok. But even back roads, or fires roads, down hill, gravel, mud, leaves you don’t want your trailer pushing your Jeep. Just an extra 500-1000 pounds on a slippery slope can get bad quick.

Just my .02

James

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter

I paid for my 5x8 to have an upgraded 3500lb axle with 10” electric drums from the factory. The standard axle was a 2200lb unit. That also had the benefit of increasing my payload.

wb9wb

View attachment 487966
This is my aluminum WeeRoll Wrangler. I’m told it weighs 850 lbs empty and is 4’x4’x8’. It’s packed completely full for my move next week and I’m hoping to weigh it to see how heavy it is loaded. The manufacturer is making larger (taller) ones now too if you’re not dead set on a 6’x12’. It’s not perfect, but I think it’s better than a lot of cargo options out there, and for less money than most.
Those are really cool. thanks.
I am planning on living out of the 6x12 at least for a year or two, maybe longer. WeeRoll makes really good trailers and I will give them another look before making a final decision next year.

TNcaveman

#Eagle05 What color (name) is your WeeRoll - It looks awesome I would do the blackout with tan as the color. I need to know what powdercoat to specify. And is it matte or satin? Doesn't look glossy. I think I'm about to pull the trigger on an Overland model with 6 ft ceiling - 5x10

Stephen

Eagle05

Adventurer
#Eagle05 What color (name) is your WeeRoll - It looks awesome I would do the blackout with tan as the color. I need to know what powdercoat to specify. And is it matte or satin? Doesn't look glossy. I think I'm about to pull the trigger on an Overland model with 6 ft ceiling - 5x10

Stephen

“POWDER COAT FED STANDARD 33446 801-10828”

It’s definitely a flat/matter color and seems to be holding up pretty well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete

Members online