7,750 kilometers of M Coupe; a Clownshoe at the end of the Earth (Dempster Highway)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
This thread continues to make me nostalgic, so I had to dig up a couple of photos of my baby:

7R25FxJl.jpg

wyAhqcWl.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting this epic adventure, only goes to prove little cars can take on much bigger roles. I took a road trip back in March with our Mazda Roadster, you get some pretty good looks from folks when you tow a trailer with a lightweight car. I had the passenger seat removed so I could sleep on a pad but that didn't go well. It did very well even with the cruise control set at 70 through a windstorm that overturned a few semi trucks coming back through Idaho, averaged 26 mpg for the trip to North Dakota and back. You can see the tumbleweeds and other debris stuffed into the mouth of the car, one I hit was about 5 feet tall and slightly bent the antenna so I turned the radio off in order for it to power down into the chassis. I have also driven this car to Maine and back but will never do that again, it gets to a point where it does feel too small for that many miles.

Attachments

• DSCN6016.jpg
    DSCN6016.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN6014.jpg
    DSCN6014.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN6012.jpg
    DSCN6012.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 18

QPDO

Observer
Awesome that you did that in a M coupe! Definitely my fav BMW. Was that missing rear diffuser fin damage from the trip?

18mpg is pretty brutal though. 50L tank is pretty small for that engine though. I thought my 40L tank was small but my car gets over 30mpg on the highway :p I'm sure the jerry cans were definitely needed the further north you went.

The diffuser fin was victim to the Dempster Highway... it'll be missed! Surprisingly, we didn't need the jerry cans at all. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

Well, I've beat Ryan to the write-up of this trip, so if you're looking for a read and some more pictures of this trip... follow the link below!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/132155-Inuvik-or-Bust!-Ryan-and-my-trip-to-the-Arctic!!

Last edited:

Jimmy Jack Claypool

Lurking in the shadows
1. Completely dig the M Coupe. I wanted one bad but we settled on an E39 Wagon for flatland adventures.

2. Nothing better than a dirty BMW

awesome pics!! Makes me want to ditch this stupid desk and hit the road

stingray1300

Explorer
You were up there in September? Us too! Got to Dawson Creek 9/11, Arctic Circle 9/17, then went over Top of the World on 9/20 to Anchorage.
What dates were you there?

DSC_0230 - Copy.jpg

Frosty_1

Adventurer
Awesome photos. Sweet car. My dad has a 2002 M Coupe. It's the Charcoal with Black and Red Leather, the works from Dinan. He ordered it new in 2002 and still has it. Every time I go home to visit I take it out for spin, absolutely love it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77