80 question.

valkyrie

Adventurer
There are several odd-ball exceptions, and I was speaking broadly towards US market ones, which are the most plentiful. Apologies for confusing my friends to the north, I didn't note location when responding. :friday: :REOutIceFishing:

Here's a hell of a deal if anyone is looking- I know this guy and this truck.

For an initial investment of $5k and a total investment of less than $10k to make it expedition ready I think you couldn't go real wrong...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-trailers-sale-wanted/245775-tx-1996-land-cruiser-fzj80-cheap.html

valkyrie

Adventurer
LOL! You are sooo right... check again. :D

I am a fool for a good deal- I figured it out as soon as I posted here.

Buildup to follow... :smiley_drive:

:jump:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The long and short of it is that $10k for an HDJ80, lockers or no, is a steal. As far as the big end bearing thing goes, I read a report by an oil engineer from New Zealand who has found that the problem does not happen in JDM trucks in Japan, usually only in exported ones. He thinks this is due to oil additives in countries other than Japan, (every country has different regs for additives). If you get a truck form japan, why not try to get some cases of oil too???

4hilux

Observer
Hi Red.........

Yeah, gotta agree with what you're saying re it being a gooooooooood deal.........

Re the oil thing - hmmm, maybe, but maybe not really............

Reason JDM's never had bearing hassles, is cos they don't use them like we do out in the 'real world' - if only starts to become a issue in excess of 200thou kms - ever seen a JDM vehicle with that mileage......?? Or, if its been run on poor quality oil, with infrequant changes.

Even for 'piece of mind' - not a big job to drop the sump & chuck a new seta shells @ the girl....

Re factory lockers, on the JDM models, that option usually also includes the factory 10,000lb electric winch, which IMHO, is one of the best leckky winches ever made......

Re that oil report - you sure it was written by a Kiwi.......?? Have seen some on the same issue written by Aussies. (Just so ya know how to tell the differance - those 'queer Aussies' bowl under-arm, 'tie kangaroos down', & can't speak properly......:) ;) ) - Please don't confuse the 2...........!!

Must be a build-up thread due to start anyday huh Val.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL