80 Series Critical Spares

Expedition Leader
1400 miles of dirt! Much of our trip will be out of cell phone coverage. :sombrero:

I always carry the pocket-size edition of the ARRL repeater directory in my console or glove box. I was able to hit repeaters from almost everywhere on the Hill Country trip, even from down in the river bottoms.

http://www.arrl.org/shop/The-ARRL-Repeater-Directory-2010-2011-Pocket-sized/?page=1

better yet, buy the companion CD and upload all the repeaters anywhere near your route into your radio before you go.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
1400 miles of dirt! Much of our trip will be out of cell phone coverage. :sombrero:
Okay, throw in a tire repair kit and some source of air. Also a couple of days worth of MRE's and H2O in case things go totally pear shaped.

BTW sounds like one hell of a fun trip.

freshspecbluegt

Adventurer
X2on fusible link my local dealer(s) haven't had them in stock when I ask, cheap insurance to have them in the glove box.

Since we are talking trail fixes and get you home band-aids would you need to install the CDL button and do the Pin 7 mod to give you options if you need to limp it home in front or rear wheel drive?

Dan2722

Get a FSM Factory Service Manual. With this and a good set of tools you should be good to go. As others have mentioned bring along spare hoses, clamps, bolts, nuts etc.

Have fun.

frgtwn

Adventurer
Simple math says,

take about 880 spare George Washingtons for gas. Oh, let's round that up to an even thousand. Off road, you know.

And, the ubiquitous YMMV.

Sounds like fun.
Dale

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Get a FSM Factory Service Manual. With this and a good set of tools you should be good to go. As others have mentioned bring along spare hoses, clamps, bolts, nuts etc.

Have fun.

Got the tools in my 4Runner, which will be coming along as well, and is much better equipped at present. I will bring the Chilton's guide.

take about 880 spare George Washingtons for gas. Oh, let's round that up to an even thousand. Off road, you know.

And, the ubiquitous YMMV.

Sounds like fun.
Dale

No doubt. Fuel is by far the biggest expense for this trip.

Klierslc

Explorer
I have an electronic FSM that I can burn you a copy of if you like. PM me your address and I'll get it out in the next few days...

coax

Adventurer
X2on fusible link my local dealer(s) haven't had them in stock when I ask, cheap insurance to have them in the glove box.

Since we are talking trail fixes and get you home band-aids would you need to install the CDL button and do the Pin 7 mod to give you options if you need to limp it home in front or rear wheel drive?

CDL button is easy insurance if you have to pull a driveshaft, does not require the pin7 mod. However read up on mud, I believe there is a way you can lock the cdl without the button (IIRC put in low, remove fuse, put back in high or something)

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
CDL button is easy insurance if you have to pull a driveshaft, does not require the pin7 mod. However read up on mud, I believe there is a way you can lock the cdl without the button (IIRC put in low, remove fuse, put back in high or something)

That's exactly how you do it.

Dave

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Hey, I had a 93 and loved it very little problems with 80s just the basic stuff and it should do you well. I have not a thing bad to say about land cruisers they have a strong history with little problems. You will have a hard time killing it.

I had his 93 and couldnt kill it either!

I personally would just go over the braking system. The lines like to rust in my opinion, and the rear proportioning valve likes to become a block of rust, which can cause problems.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Realistically, as long as the PM is current, the most critical spare is fuel.

Dave

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Here is my normal pre-trip checklist:

Jack front of vehicle, check wheel bearings and trunnion bearings for looseness with the 12/6 method.
Check steering system for looseness with 9/3 method.
Remove front wheels.
Inspect front pads
Torque caliper bolts.
Inspect brake hoses.
Torque knuckle trunnion bolts/nuts.
Check birf grease.
Re-install front wheels and torque lug nuts.
Jack rear of vehicle.
Check for wheel play and remove rear wheels.
Inspect rear pads.
Inspect brake hoses.
Torque caliper bolts.
Check/Adjust parking brake.
Re-install rear wheels and torque lug-nuts.
Check differential and t-case levels.
Grease u-joints. and steering components.
Check tire pressures including spare.
Torque front bumper mount bolts.
Torque winch mounting bolts.
Check winch oil.
Check winch operation.
Inspect wire rope.
Torque receiver hitch mounting bolts. (if towing)
Install hitch and torque ball nut. (if towing)
Check under hood fluid levels.
Check belts.
Check air filter.
Check lights.

I also make sure all my PM is current. Personally, I perform all of the following annually before trip season:
Cooling system service.
Transmission fluid drain and fill.
Transfer case drain and fill.
Differentials drain and fill.
Flush brake fluid.
Repack front wheel bearings.
Replace fuel filter, plugs, belts.
Inspect spark plug wires.
Inspect cap and rotor.

Dave

subytoy

Observer
After today's events, I would add a starter. I had to have my 80 towed home from Taco Bell, only four miles from my house due to a bad one. Can't bump start an automatic.

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater