80 series dual battery question

RoundOut

Explorer
Couldn't you buy an external voltage regulator and put it after the relay? I know on my fj40 the original electrical system had an external regulator that was fairly cheap. This should regulate the second battery just as your alternator regulated the first.

My point was that my setup is the KISS approach that you mentioned. A voltage sensing relay with a timer would be all that is required to start charging the auxiliary battery. Maybe some other sort of voltage regulator could be used to disconnect the charge when it is peaked. For an electrical engineer that is simple, and although not an engineer, I could do it. But it is far from simple for many folks.

cruisertoy

Explorer
"Charge regulators, whether internal or external, vary the excitation voltage of the alternator's field to control voltage output. There can only be one of that style of regulator per alternator."

Didn't think about that..Its why I ask the dumb questions. Besides being a KISS person, I'm also a tightwad.:sombrero:

KE5QVT

Observer
Dual Systems

Well, there is a lot to consider while doing all of this. I opted for the DIY kit from National Luna and Washer Bottle relocating kit from Slee.

I would like to supplement this with a 60watt solar cell mounted on the roof. Does anyone know how I could wire this into the system as a maintainer and trickle charger for both batteries?
Thanks,
:smiley_drive:

Brian894x4

Explorer
You'll need to get some kind of regulator for the solar panel so that the solar panel disconnects from the battery at some predetermined voltage so you don't risk overcharging the battery.

In my set up, I have a 200 amp solenoid between the two batteries. I've wired all my accessories so that only the factory accessories run off the main battery and everything else runs off of the aux. battery. The solenoid is wired to kick on automaticly when the engine is started, automaticly connecting the two batteries and then automaticly disconnecting them when the engine is turned off. I can override this by turning the solenoid on or off manually. But normally, I don't have to think about it. The alternator is wired to the main battery only, so the aux battery only charges when both batteries are hooked up via the solenoid.

If accessories wear down the aux battery while parked or camping or something, the main battery is unaffected. If the headlights are left on or some factory accessories wears down the main battery, the auxiliery battery is unaffected.

I've had solar panels attached at various times (not currently) and I usually leave them hooked up the auxilery battery. This way things like the refigerator can run during the day if I'm out hiking or exploring away from the vehicle and not run down the aux battery as fast.

With the way I have it wired, should the main battery die for any reason, the auxilery battery powers the solenoid via the manual switch and will connect the two batteries and start the truck. If the auxilery battery dies, in automatic, the main battery powers the solenoid, so once the truck is started, the two batteries are automaticly connected and the aux battery is automaticly recharged.

So far, this system has worked out great. Everything is controlled by one simple 3 position switch inside the cab. The switch can be turned to, automaticly connect when ignition turned on, manual connect, or always disconnected.

Last edited:

clarkrw3

Observer
I went with the national luna system which I really like.....but unless I missed it you are going to have to relocate your washer bottle so look at sleeoffroad for there kit to relocate you washer bottle behind your air cleaner. good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal