80 series owners...Post up your miles per gallon

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
Desertdude said:
Unless you can increase the MPG X 2 - it hardly seems worth trying to make a difference

::

Well...........I am almost there. I have a 91 FJ80 and I average 22-23 mpg. That is a combination of city/highway driving with speeds up to 80 mph. Off road does not seem to matter nor if I am loaded or not. I have not mounted the RTT yet so not sure how that would affect it. I have seen as low as 19mpg but that was loaded and I was flying up some mountain passes. Here are my specs:

1991 FJ80
-4" Slee lift
-35" AT tires
-ARB bull bar
-Kaymar rear bumper

Ooops, almost forgot to mention that I have a Cummins 4BT turbo diesel in it? :wings:
It's after market intercooled and the injection pump is at factory settings.

slick621

OME 2.5"
BFG MT 255/85R16
No roof rack or tent

11-13 city

14-15 mixed

16-17 highway (rarely over 65 mph)

gillti

Adventurer
1996 fzj80
Horizon Adventure Trailer
RTT
OME 2.5
285's

14 MPG's there abouts. Speed Matters. . .

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
pskhaat said:
I've found that if you drive the 80 like it's carbureted; drive it with the throttle position no further than to reach your desired speed and then ease off slowly and incrementally just to maintain speed, you can do almost 5+mpg difference. I know someone will tell me that's crazy-talk and the ECU with injection should be able to make that moot. Alas I still find the carb-style driving does better on the 1FZ-FE.

I agree with this 100%

Loaded to the hilt with RTT and 3 occupants i usually get around 12-16mpg

My friends think i am crazy, but i seem to get better MPG on Pemex! ??????

K

Martyn said:
What type of mileage do 80 owners get with a diesel motor? I think that Toyota fitted the 3B engine to this model. I'm toying with the idea of buying an 80 for my personal use and doing a diesel conversion

Hey Martyn

This has been discussed on MUD a ton and almost everyone that does it agrees that the MPG difference isnt even close to making up the cost of the swap.

Most report less then 19-22mpg with the diesal swap (various models)

Last edited:

Brian894x4

Explorer
1995 FZJ80, 285 MTRs, stock gears, 2.5" OME, no roof rack, but rear drawers, gear, front slee bumper and winch, etc, 90K miles.

I'm averaging about 12-13 with mostly highway driving. With more city driving I see closer to 10-11.

The highest I've seen is about 16 mpg when perfectly stock...on the way home, driving back down from up in the mountains..so it was mostly downhill.

I don't think I've seen higher than 13 since the mods started, even with mostly highway driving.

pnwadventurer

Observer
92 Fj80: 3FE, 31" BFG ATs, OME, Bull Bar. no rack or RTT = 10 mpg in town, 12-13 on the Highway, depending on the speed, terrain and headwind.

Steve

blupaddler

Conspirator
Boston Mangler said:
My friends think i am crazy, but i seem to get better MPG on Pemex! ??????

I totally agree with you on this point. I get much better mpg in Baja in general.
hmmmmm...

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Oh, i will also note that playing around with air pressure has changed my MPG a fair amount too!

I run my 305, "D" rated MTR's at 45lbs on the freeway

MaddBaggins

Explorer
11-12 MPG in town and I have a heavy foot in town. Tucson sits above 2000' elevation if that makes any difference.

14-15 MPG freeway and I don't usually go much above 70 MPH

Running 34.6" Muds on steel rims and diffs regeared to 4.88. custom 2-1/2 hi flow exhaust and head milled down a hair for more compression. Runs on premium most of the time, sometimes I use mid-grade. Timing turned up to 7* BTDC. Nothing on the roof. Fully armored.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
blupaddler said:
Thanks for the responses guys.
I have/am considering downsizing to 265/75's vs my 285/75's which I know would help with the mpg.

And I totally agree with the driving speed...in Baja, where speed limits are about 50 mph, I was getting 16-17 with a rack (no tent).

Did you correct your speed when you went up a tire size? Bigger tires make your speedo and odometer run slow.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Grim Reaper said:
Did you correct your speed when you went up a tire size? Bigger tires make your speedo and odometer run slow.

...I calculated by the GPS

I believe Dana from the Norcal group gets an easy 20 MPG with is diesel conversion.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
If this is correct for tire size MPG you guys are scaring the crap out of me.

I was wanting to replace a 454 powered suburban with a 80 as a DD for my wife. I would want to put some mild lift and a little bigger tires.

Some of you guys are reporting MPG with loads worse then my 454 Burb is getting pulling a 4Runner on a trailer (about 5500lb on the hitch) at 65mph with the AC on (10.5). Now that’s all it ever gets as long as you stay under 70mph. If you guys cant manage but 12-14 around town its not a lot better then what I get with the pig.

Maybe I should just buy the cheapest highest mile 80 I can find and plan to shove a 4b in it. There are a couple around me around $3k with clean bodies.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Grease Cruiser said:
Well...........I am almost there. I have a 91 FJ80 and I average 22-23 mpg. That is a combination of city/highway driving with speeds up to 80 mph. Off road does not seem to matter nor if I am loaded or not. I have not mounted the RTT yet so not sure how that would affect it. I have seen as low as 19mpg but that was loaded and I was flying up some mountain passes. Here are my specs:

1991 FJ80
-4" Slee lift
-35" AT tires
-ARB bull bar
-Kaymar rear bumper

Ooops, almost forgot to mention that I have a Cummins 4BT turbo diesel in it? :wings:
It's after market intercooled and the injection pump is at factory settings.

Got a build thread? I would like to know more.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Grim Reaper said:

I was wanting to replace a 454 powered suburban with a 80 as a DD for my wife. I would want to put some mild lift and a little bigger tires.

Some of you guys are reporting MPG with loads worse then my 454 Burb is getting pulling a 4Runner on a trailer (about 5500lb on the hitch) at 65mph with the AC on (10.5). Now that’s all it ever gets as long as you stay under 70mph. If you guys cant manage but 12-14 around town its not a lot better then what I get with the pig.

Maybe I should just buy the cheapest highest mile 80 I can find and plan to shove a 4b in it. There are a couple around me around $3k with clean bodies.

My #'s are corrected for larger tires and gears. I used GPS to verify. After the re-gear, my speedo/odo are 8.5% fast. So, yes, these things get crappy mileage.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Grim Reaper said:

That's the 80/100 for you. Thirsty as can be for the fuel. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl