'84 CJ7 Expo build

korisu56

Adventurer
Sounds like you are. When I get back from AZ I should have it sitting there at home. I will attempt to mount it quickly because I have a trip planned from 06-10Jan in George Washington National Forrest. Pics will follow installation.

korisu56

Adventurer
Brought the CJ out for a 3.5 days trip in George Washington National Forrest. What a blast.

20150_1301782352054_1455316519_30824804_5485056_n.jpg

20150_1301782392055_1455316519_30824805_1342381_n.jpg

20150_1301781832041_1455316519_30824793_4540564_n.jpg

wacker12

What in the world did you do for 3.5 days in GW?

Just messing with you. I use to camp out there a few years back when I was in Maryland. I really like the bench seat, is it Toy, S10? what?

korisu56

Adventurer
Haha. Those 3.5 days were spent trying to get firewood. People kinda screwed up by not bringing things that they said they would (chain saw) so we spent lots of time driving up and down Long Run Rd (rd used loosely) looking for wood we can burn. I can crosspost trail report if you think it'd be wanted.

The bench seat comes out of a Mazda b2200. Was one of the best mods I've ever done. Was really comfortable for me and the passenger.

GPER

Observer
When you do the 4.0 head conversion are you using epoxy or steel plugs to plug the water jacket holes and any ignition upgrades????

korisu56

Adventurer
When you do the 4.0 head conversion are you using epoxy or steel plugs to plug the water jacket holes and any ignition upgrades????

This project got dumped due to the cost of it. It was going to run me about 1400 to do it and I found a 4.2 installed for 500. Once that engine is done, I will likely do a 4bt. I know I bounced around, but I will be carrying a lot of weight on that CJ and I think I'm going to need some oomph for it.

We were actually just going to weld the water jacket holes up. For every writeup, there seems to be a different way to do it. I've seen people melt packing peanuts, epoxy, weld, jb, etc. I was just going to weld and grind down, call it good.

korisu56

Adventurer
No sweat. I met the guy that "rebuilt" it in '02. He had it all the way down to the grill and engine. The frame is still solid, however when I get to my next location I will do a frame off. When I get deployed, I'm sending it to my friends at Mountain Valley Customs in PA to do some very intense expo mods and do exactly this.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
having done it myself in my CJ, I would HIGHLY recommend building a deck over the entire rear end of the jeep. run a two by four length wise down either fender, and then another on each end and perhaps a two by two across the mid section. Use some 5/8ths OSB (or if you can use aluminum) and cover that with some shag carpet. With that setup you will have a very large amount of space under the deck that no one can get into without effort, you have a great place for your dog (which you can put in some I-bolts to hook the leash/belt to) and you have a lot of storage under the back deck. For jeeps, especially a cj, the low COG is an important factor. If you end up still feeling the need to install a rack on top, you will have less up there, and you can keep all of the really heavy stuff inside on the floor.

If you go XJ engine, then get yourself an auto tranny as well. This will change a lot for you with the drive shafts and such, but wow it sure is nice to have that engine and tranny set up. (would love to do it to my cj, but the wires scare me too much.) If you decide that you want more tire space, seriously give consideration to tub fenders. They open up your wheel wells a lot, and still keep the COG low. Gen-right has a really nice "high-line" set up, that if I ever get an unlimited I am going with for sure! You can run 37's on stock suspension! This is not to mention the fact that the entire fender set up costs less than any lift kit would cost to aford the same tire size.

You have a nice setup there, good luck on your trip.

by the by, yeah, all of the Posts are going to charging you five bucks just to use the bay for half an hour, and all of that. Used to work on my car back at Ft. Belvour for free. Sure miss those days.

Brian

korisu56

Adventurer
by the by, yeah, all of the Posts are going to charging you five bucks just to use the bay for half an hour, and all of that. Used to work on my car back at Ft. Belvour for free. Sure miss those days.

Brian

When did you work on your car at Belvoir? I used to have a hook up there and used to work on my TJ all the time for no worries. They charged 5 bucks a hour for the lifts and the flat bays were only a buck or two an hour. May have changed.

I'm doing tubes front and rear with YJ HD springs to handle the weight. I'm putting a roof rack on top, but only to handle the relatively light cot-tent my wife and I will use. Fuel and water will be as far below the belt line as possible.

As far as the shelf, I can't do it with my dog's kennel in there. I have two smaller dogs, but leashing or harnessing is an absurd attempt at best. A small kennel that they can both sit and lie down in is the best bet for them, so we're adapting. I'm putting a lot outside though, like a shovel mount (in front of driver door) and my splitting maul will be run along the rear fender. Pics to come :)

Last edited:

korisu56

Adventurer
Update

Today I dropped the CJ off for paint and a new-to-me 4.2. I will put a better engine in eventually, but one of those deals fell in my lap that I had to jump on for my April trip. Pics to come of dismantling.

korisu56

Adventurer
Went to MVC yesterday. Shane and I broke down my CJ all the way to the basic for paint and engine swap. It's gonna be sick.

P1210010.jpg

P1210011.jpg

P1210012.jpg

P1210020.jpg

P1210022.jpg

P1210021.jpg

P1210023.jpg

P1210029.jpg

P1210030.jpg

Tommy6145

Chris... That cage looks much better then the last time I saw it. I almost wish I had kept it. I like how you worked out the wiper motor issue.

korisu56

Adventurer
@Tommy: you should see what I have in store for that cage. I'm modifying it to meet the electrical needs of the CJ. Gotta keep them electrical units dry :)

@SKT: Thanks man. I can't wait to see her again. In a couple weeks I should be going back up to put her all back together. Pics will be posted same day :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online