86 Pickup Build up

SierraExplorer

Kinda new here and wanted to share the build up of my 86 Toyota Pickup with you guys.

Mods/Fixes:
22RE head rebuilt (334K and running great!)
Matching front fenders (when bought had a 4x4 and a 4X2 fender)
Cranked Torsion Bars (15")
Procomp Add-a-leaf for rear (1.75" of lift)
Procomp Light Bar with Hella 500's
Cragar Series 342 Black "D" wheels (15x7/6x4.5 lug)
Interco TrXus MT 31x10.5R15LT
Snug Top with custom storage and sleeping area (in progress, based off of www.brain894x4.com)
All-Pro front winch bumper (not on but pictured below)
New Paint job! (thats the last thing ill do)

Here's a few pictures:

Before:
Truck6.jpg

After: (a year after)
Truck10.jpg

Rear: (in progress. Thank you Brian for the wonderful ideas)
Truck12.jpg

Bumper: (next task)
Truck4.jpg

Thats about it for now. I'm planning on doing a bunch of high sierra roads this summer with my brother. I'll be using a book called Sierra Nevada Byways by Tony Huegel to guide me. If you have and thoughts or suggestions id love to hear them. :ylsmoke:

Future plans are...
Dual Battery setup
Winch (still not sure which)
Roof rack (not sure what kind)

Mike

Last edited:

RoundOut

Explorer
WELCOME, but "the last thing?"

First off, Welcome. I haven't been around much either, but it is a great forum and I'm learning a ton, meeting new friends and making great adventure plans.

You have a great looking truck, I especially like your rims & tires. Very agressive looking!

SierraExplorer said:
Kinda new here and wanted to share the build up of my 86 Toyota Pickup with you guys.

Mods/Fixes:
22RE head rebuilt (334K and running great!)
Matching front fenders (when bought had a 4x4 and a 4X2 fender)
Cranked Torsion Bars (15")
Procomp Add-a-leaf for rear (1.75" of lift)
Procomp Light Bar with Hella 500's
Cragar Series 342 Black "D" wheels (15x7/6x4.5 lug)
Interco TrXus MT 31x10.5R15LT
Snug Top with custom storage and sleeping area (in progress, based off of www.brain894x4.com)
All-Pro front winch bumper (not on but pictured below)
New Paint job! (thats the last thing ill do)

Thats about it for now. I'm planning on doing a bunch of high sierra roads this summer with my brother. I'll be using a book called Sierra Nevada Byways by Tony Huegel to guide me. If you have and thoughts or suggestions id love to hear them. :ylsmoke:

Mike

I thought mod's were worse than drugs, you can't get enough of them. "The last thing", as in you'll wait until all the others are done, or "the last thing", as in you won't mod it any more after that? I'm always wondering/planning/scheming what to do next, LOL.:Mechanic:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Cool...another mini toy! :wavey:

Nice build so far.

Be careful on the torsion bar crank. It has some negatives
You run the CV's at a higher angle and that increases wear and puts the CV at a weaker angle increases the possibility of them failing.

You increase the chance of breaking the torsion bar or breaking the tensioner because you have increase how much twist the bar is subjected too.
You decreased your down travel and its actually down travel the give you the most benefit at high speed.

It runs the tie rods at a steeper angle making it easier to bend them or the idler.

Looking at the picture and looking at my stock 4Runner out my window. It doesnt look like that much of a difference in relation to the rim to the bumper. I wonder if somebody lowered your front end to hide some of the typical Toy tail sag.

You can get 33x10.5 on there with a hammer if you rims are stock width and offset. I managed to get 33x12.5's on mine with NO lift.

Here is my 86 and what I have been doing. http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3033&highlight=4runner+build

Welcome to the Forum!

SierraExplorer

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm planning on painting the truck at the end of the summer after my trips. Grim i must say i like the 4runner there. Very cool.

Here's an update from the end of the weekend.

Internal storage build:
Build4.jpg

Partly carpeted:
Build5.jpg

My second battery compartment: (front left of the bed)
Build2.jpg

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Nice wood work.

What battery do you plan to use? if you are going with a conventional Lead acid you need to vent the area around the battery or get a battery with a built in vent and drop it though the floor. Battery for say a 1995 BMW 540i should have a vent tube on it (in the BMW it mounts under the back seat so it has to have the vent).

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Welcome Mike. :beer:

I like the '86 - '89 4WD Toys a lot. Your storage boxes are looking good.

How do you like the TrXus MT's so far? I really like their aggressive look and the reviews I've read.

You like you've got a pretty good list started already. I swapped the bench seat out of my '85 for some leather buckets from a '92 4Runner. That was a big, big comfort improvement.

I'd say you're on the right track. Hope you're able to get out before the summer to enjoy it :smiley_drive:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
bigreen505 said:
Welcome to ExPo!

Cool truck, but you know what it really needs (no, not a snorkle!)? THESE!
Yup, an air locker and 33" kit all wrapped in one. Being that the truck hasn't been running this winter, it's got no wear and tear from pulling stuck cars out, either.

BTW, nice 2nd gen. I like the XtraCab space of the 3rd gen, but have always though the 2nd gens looked nice.

SierraExplorer

kcowyo said:
How do you like the TrXus MT's so far? I really like their aggressive look and the reviews I've read.

I really like the Tires. They grip rock and snow very well. With the sidewall tread it makes ruts very simple to get out of. The 86 came with bucket seats but there in horrible shape. I was thinking of replacing them with some 4 Runner seats.

I've have been wanting to regear but i dont have the funds at the moment or anytime soon. I was looking to do 4.88 but 5.29 would serve better for future changes in tire sizes. I know if i lift my truck, im staying IFS. For the type of traveling that im going to do i dont see a SAS being on my list.

Thanks for all the comments. I'll have more to come.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
bigreen505 said:
Thanks, let us know about the Trxus. I was considering a set, but I'm concerned about tread life.

x2 i like the fact that you can get those trxus in a 33x10.50R15 for around 140 a piece. being that i live in denver, what ive heard/read about their snow traction makes them very appealing. I do travel about 150 miles a weekend driving back and forth from home to school and im just concerned about tread life and road noise/on road driveability.

Great looking truck also, im excited to see how the bed setup turns out. Im trying to design mine so its nice to see some different ideas out there.

Brian894x4

Explorer
Welcome to the forum.

The mini-trucks are excellent platforms. Cheap, easy to work on and very reliable. The only major draw back is that you only transport one passenger and power is a little lacking once you load them up.

I thought your set up looked pretty familier, then I saw where you got the idea. Looking good!

The extra cab will be a nice feature that you'll really enjoy having. I really wish I it on mine. Having all that storage in the back is great, but accessing it is not so easy, so it will be nice to be able to just throw behind the seat things you want regular access too.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:

SierraExplorer

Here are the updates.

Sleeping area complete: (till I think of something else)
Build6.jpg

Surco Safari rack:
Build7.jpg

Build8.jpg

Build9.jpg

That ended out the weekend. Unfortunately I found some cooling lines that went bad so I have to replace them before I can move the truck again. Oh well. :)

Scott Brady

Founder
Great build!

Have you decided on a winch yet?

The sleeping area looks good, and keeping the sleeping area at the bed floor will add much more comfort. I still dream of building a 1985.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3