87 Dodge Quigley... Sportsmowho?

cstamm81

Adventurer
First off my title was just a joke, so no offense meant. This is certainly nowhere near a SMB, but it is mine all mine, no second mortgage necessary.
I had been casually searching for a 4x4 van for awhile, and had not found much in my price range. I prefer Dodges as far as vans go, I am just much more familiar with Chrysler small blocks and their auto trannies. On a whim I typed in 4x4 dodge van craigslist into Google. Believe it or not one popped up in South NJ, not too far from me in eastern PA. I didnt give it too much thought, jotted down the number and called the guy the next day. He needed it gone asap, so we met halfway and I checked it out. I agreed to buy and he agreed to deliver it the next day for a little extra. It made the 2 hour drive so I knew that said something!
Anyway, for $1800 I got an 87 Dodge Quigley with a 360. Downsides are it's non OD and it is carbureted. It needs gone over, but it runs, drives, stops and most everything works. It was originally just a cargo van but the previous owner started making it nicer inside. A lot of it will need to be redone, but some of it I can work with. Looks to be a Ford Dana 44, not sure why they used a Ford axle for the conversion. Rear is a Chrysler 8.25, definitely a little weak but it can easily be swapped. Haven ID'ed the t-case yet.
The nice thing is there are a plethora of Dodge conversion vans at the local EZ pull. I've already got some small items, and I found a nice truck style rear bumper and a tire carrier that bolts to the hinges. A bumper style carrier would be neater, but I feel the hinge style should be burly enough. I even found a not too ugly ladder rack I may yank and modify. It has round tubing and sits nice and low to the roof.
First plans include getting it on a lift and seeing what needs attention. It sits on 33" Mud tires that are cupped horribly, they need to go asap. I can't find anything but C rated tires in 33x12.5x15, I'm assuming these will be too light? I may wind up having to upgrade to 16" wheels and get some E-rated Terra Grapplers or something similar. Some sound deadening is definitely in order and I may use a lot of the products and ideas on http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ This guy uses a different approach to sound deadening, and it makes a lot of sense to me.
My goal is to make it as reliable and as comfortable as I can. I want to emphasize on keeping it relatively simple and focus more on using it than spending all of my time building it. We will see if I can keep my word on that one. Let me know what ya'll think and give me any and all ideas and criticisms.

764758571_5YXb5-L.jpg

764758061_LQZ4W-L.jpg

764759278_nhheF-L.jpg

764758827_QSpYF-L.jpg

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
Cool score on the van. Trouble with the transmission not being an OD model is that an OD model may or may not fit due to the 4WD transfer case from Quigley.

If you can pick up John Speed's Book Travel Vans.(Unfortunately you need to order it from the UK) It's loaded with lots of info and ideas on how to turn your van into a cool expo camper on the inside and keeping look normal. (OK I'm stretching the word a bit on this site)

Cool rig, can't wait to see it when it's done up. Good luck

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Classically the engines in vans are offset to the passenger side for more driver foot-box room. That makes it easier to clear the differential if it is on the driver's side. In that era Ford was the only OE putting the diff on the driver's side, so they used a Ford axle.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Nice find, looks like the PO did a nice job on hoping to make it nice. I look forward to seeing what you do with this!

cstamm81

Adventurer
That makes sense about the Ford axle, and I had a hunch that was the only reason it was used.
Perhaps I watched too much of the A-team and that is the reason the van sits next to my house now haha. That plus the fact that my old man has always had Dodge conversion vans, just no 4wd's. I actually did see a black spoiler on a van in the junkyard, but I think that will have to stay where it is. I will probably start a build thread in the next few weeks when I get more parts amassed and start at it.

xped

Adventurer
Could you take a picture of the front suspension? I own a 78 Dodge 4x4 van with a Pathfinder conversion and I'm curious how similar they are.

cstamm81

Adventurer
Xped, I can try to do that for you when I get it out of the snow. It is buried in some snow piles at my house right now, haven't driven it in 2 weeks.

Adventurerider

Adventurer
Nice find, great deal and I agree NO second mortgage, not that anyone could get one right now. Can't wait to see it to start to transform, post & post often.

Cheers

Keyblazer

Adventurer
If you can pick up John Speed's Book Travel Vans.(Unfortunately you need to order it from the UK) It's loaded with lots of info and ideas on how to turn your van into a cool expo camper on the inside and keeping look normal.

Anyone post a link to the book mentioned here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat