89 4runner/22re alternator options

i need help with my charging system. the way it sits in stock form everyhting works good. but, by the time i get done adding 2 more radios, atleast 4 lights (400w), invertor, winch,..... i think it will be pretty taxed. i was considering going to the gm 1 wire style to have the reliability and avalibilty and i think that these can be had stock with some pretty high amprages stock. but was wondering if i would run into wiring issues between the gm charger and the toyota wiring.

is there a better option or is this my best bet?

thanks

corax

Explorer
try a google search for an MR2 swap - IIRC all you need to do is change over the alternator pigtail and everything else bolts up (could be wrong on that, but it's not complicated). I think it's from a early 90's MR2 turbo and put out somewhere around 100 amps. late 80's Supra & Cressida also put out 80 amps, compared to a 22RE 60 amp, and should be a direct bolt in.

Here's a good thread to get you started -> Pirate 4x4 22re Alternator Upgrade

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
i built a custom mount on my old 22re for a Chevy 1-wire 100 amp alternator. worked great.

sorry the pictures are very old. about 5 years old on a crappy digital camera.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• alternator 3.jpg
    alternator 3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 612
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 586
  • alternator 4.jpg
    alternator 4.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 628

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I went with an all stock 104 amp CS130 Delco alternator mounted in the stock location. I had to build all of the mounts and tension bracketry. I was able to modify some of the OE tension parts and use them in the new tensioner bracket.
IMG_0248-1.jpg

IMG_0251-1.jpg

i,m leaning toward the gm for avalibilty mostly. i pm'd a guy on yata teck about the brackets and havn't heard back. if i can get the bracket thats the way i'm going to go. thanks guys

nastynate

i,m leaning toward the gm for avalibilty mostly. i pm'd a guy on yata teck about the brackets and havn't heard back. if i can get the bracket thats the way i'm going to go. thanks guys

I've heard he's become somewhat difficult to reach as of late. YMMV.

BLKNBLU

Explorer

I've heard he's become somewhat difficult to reach as of late. YMMV.

This is why I like the idea of re-working the OEM alt. I agree with Jake about the idea of easy availability with the GM part. However, I have to imagine a stock Toyota alt is just as readily available, though that is just a guess on my part. If you find yourself in a jam with the re-worked Toy alt, you could replace it with a stocker and just not run some of your stuff until you get to a more permanent fix. With one off parts like the brackets, the fix can become a bit trickier. Or you can't find "the guy" that makes them. If you weld and have on board welding, you're good to go. I don't in both cases.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
This is why I like the idea of re-working the OEM alt. I agree with Jake about the idea of easy availability with the GM part. However, I have to imagine a stock Toyota alt is just as readily available, though that is just a guess on my part. If you find yourself in a jam with the re-worked Toy alt, you could replace it with a stocker and just not run some of your stuff until you get to a more permanent fix. With one off parts like the brackets, the fix can become a bit trickier. Or you can't find "the guy" that makes them. If you weld and have on board welding, you're good to go. I don't in both cases.
In my case finding the donor MR2 alternator was part of the problem. There just weren't any the multiple times that I looked for one. I don't plan on leaving the U.S. borders any time soon so those sorts of considerations (should there be any) did not figure into my thinking. Like-wise, deep water crossings are not the norm in my area of interest so the stock location suits me fine. My goal in designing & fabricating the mounts was to make them at least as robust as the OE parts. I'm not sure yet that I succeeded in that, testing is still in progress - though it is currently stalled due to a never-ending front end rebuild.....

BLKNBLU

Explorer
In my case finding the donor MR2 alternator was part of the problem. There just weren't any the multiple times that I looked for one. I don't plan on leaving the U.S. borders any time soon so those sorts of considerations (should there be any) did not figure into my thinking. Like-wise, deep water crossings are not the norm in my area of interest so the stock location suits me fine. My goal in designing & fabricating the mounts was to make them at least as robust as the OE parts. I'm not sure yet that I succeeded in that, testing is still in progress - though it is currently stalled due to a never-ending front end rebuild.....

I'm with you on the water crossings. Again, with the MR2 alt being a tough find, I like the idea of keeping the OE alt for the 22re, getting it re-worked, and having it fit where it was originally designed to fit. In the rare, but possible, instance of failure, it can be replaced with an unmodified over the counter unit and at least get you rolling again, though possibly needing to turn off some of your goodies. You have an advantage with the fab skills. Good luck on the mount experiment.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The advantage that I saw in the Delco alternator is that it is a 104 amps, stock, over any parts counter pretty much anywhere in the US. If I decide that 104 isn't enough (can't see it, but possible) then some of the hot rodded CS130's go up to something crazy like 200 amps or more. I'm not fond of hot rodded alt's because they generate more heat than the original design was made for. I'd think that is sure to predict a shorter lifespan.

It does mean that I now have GM parts on my Toyota, but I'm OK with that. Others may not be and that's fine too.

i'm still considering the gm parts. my main reason is that i can go into napa or 2/3's of the back yards in wv and find a chevy alternator. toyota's aint quite as common as chevy where i will spend 99% of my time.

i do agree that the fabbed up bracket stands a chance of breakage but i don't think any more than a stocker. and if ti does i can keep my stock alternator and brackets and just bolt those on as backup.

this is soleybased on if i can get ahold of the guy with the brackets:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven