89 GEN1 AW372 Manual Shaft Seal

chadzeilenga

Hi All,
Trying to find the source of a slow transmission leak in my 89. I pulled the pan last night hoping the pan gasket was the culprit, but pan bolts were all snug. With everything out of the way it's easier to see other sources. I see some weepage near the Manual Shaft on the Drivers Side and was thinking of replacing these seals while I'm there (both sides), but cannot find a replacement anywhere except Partsouq (MD951333 or MR111500). I know these AW371 transmissions were in other vehicles such as Toyota, Volvo etc.

- Anyone here changed these out before?
- Does anyone know if this seal would be different in these other platforms? Pictures I could find all seem to be the same
- Does anyone know if the AW372L is different from the A44DL or the A43DL? I see that these are in the same Aisin-Warner 03-71 family, so I'm thinking the cases would be the same and I could use seals from a 00 Tacoma 2.4L 2WD

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 7

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I've used Partouq for the Montero as well as other vehicles.
Why wouldn't you order the parts from them? You will receive the correct part, rather then looking for some other vehicle that "uses the same part".
The delivery is "fast", often arriving in under a week.

chadzeilenga

Valid point, I didn't anticipate replacing the manual shaft seals until I had the pan off and realized that the pan gasket was not the source of my leak. Since this is my DD, I was hoping to get it back on the road quickly and not wait the delivery time from partsouq. Also, I had just received a delivery from Partsouq a few weeks prior so the $15 shipping for some $3 seals was an ouch...

I was able to get the pan back on last night and the seals are arriving at Toyota today, so I'll be able to evaluate whether they will work or not before I get all of the cross member junk back on. If not, I'll just bite the bullet and get the Mitsu ones from Partsouq and take it apart later on for those.

chadzeilenga

I installed one of the two seals and it fit great. Looked to be dimensionally identical to the one removed. I purchased mine through Toyota P/N: 90311-11003

The seal is a Koyo and has following markings around perimeter:
MHSA
11 22 6

I used the manual shaft tool from Napa for a TH350 trans and it worked well. BK 7769250
4890819b404ac1c33d85c110eff08a6f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater